Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I might take some flack for this, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my '99 Deville using the CARS program http://www.cars.gov that will send it to the scrap yard. I'll take $4,500 for a new car over the $2,500 I might get selling it outright. I'm spending $600 a month on gas now, so I do crank out some miles.

Any little bits you guy might need? Small stuff that won't make it inoperable like center caps, trim bezels, cup holders, cigarette lighters, whatever? Here's what it looked like 70k miles ago - http://www.tgnagy.com/caddy.htm

I'll pull the easy stuff if I have time. I'll only have a day, maybe two after I get back from vacation before I pick up a new car - most likely a hybrid. With a hybrid I can knock that down to just over $200, which pays fro the car, and eliminated alot of my maintenacne and repairs that need done. The insurance is only $15 more a month. I can get another Caddy when the kids move out.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Don't get a hybrid. All your gas savings go straight down the drain when the batteries die and you have to fork over $5000 for new ones. Go with a diesel. They get almost the same mileage as a hybrid, better than one on the highway, and will last forever with very little maintenance.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
58 Posts
:tisk: :want: :wtf: :shocked2: :jawdrop: :cursin: :duh: :arghh: :sd: :hurt: :negative: :brainfart: :thehand: :crybaby: :alchi:
thats a few things that came to my mind when i read this sorry to hear of the BAD NEWS but I do know how much gas cost so........... just wished you had burgundy interior I would take the seat moving buttons.

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Themadwhacker1 - what's a fair price for the center caps?

Dirt cheap - the hybrid batteries carry a 100k/ 8 year warranty. Today, the replacement cost is under $2500 to replace by the dealer (I’ve confirmed), about what it would cost to have the head gasket job done on the N* that mine had at 77,000 miles, about 70k miles ago.

Diesels are rated around ~41MPG (the hybrid is rated at 51) is smaller inside, and priced $5k more when comparably equipped. Plus, I’m too wide for WV seats, already tried that on a 300 mile trip recently.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Well, you'll have a hard time finding anyone here to agree with your plan because this is a Cadillac site, but if you've truly done all the number crunching and you think it works best for your financial situation then by all means do it.

Just remember, unless you buy a Hybrid SUV or large Hybrid car, the small size of compact Hybrids is going to wear on you FAST for long drives after owning that Cadillac as long as you have. Also consider that while 4500.00 may seem enticing, you may still fare better OVERALL buying a USED hybrid or whatever else and taking whatever they offer you as a trade (or better yet, selling private party) than the ridiculous price of a new car. I agree though, if you were already dead set on a new car anyway, 4500.00 (plus incentives on the NEW car) is WAAY more than anyone would give you as a private sale or typical trade-in.

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, and it's time. I haven't had a new car since 1993, and I still have that one. I also have a Ranger, a TR7, and an MGB, so I'm used to small cars, too. But, if you have some time, go sit in a Prius or a Fusion, they feel really bigger than they look.

I needed a wagon or a hatch to drag the dog around, a Dalmatian that Santa brought. I don't want her all over the seat, or laying all over the kids.

I'll get anther caddy once the kids are grown and gone. By that time, they'll all be hybrids or electric, who knows. I'm still waiting on my Jetson's flying car.

·
Registered
Cotillion White 2002 Deville
114 Posts
The benefits of the program all depend on the vehicle you're trading in. But, for those with late 90's Northstar Cadillacs (especially high mileage ones) which depreciate quickly, that $4500 is a good deal. What I don't know, though, is whether new car dealers are going to be more firm and less likely to cut deals with you versus someone with no trade or a traditional trade in. Even though this CARS incentive program and the dealer incentives / rebate / deal-cutting abilities are two separate things, they still might try to use this as an opportunity to "shake you down," i.e., say that they're not going any lower than $_____ just to try to see if they can get you to pay more to that dealer, while using the $4500 "rebate" as smoke-in-mirrors. I can very easily see a car salesman/sales manager saying something like, "We're already giving you $4500 right off the sticker...," even though they aren't, and the government is. You might want to look into the deals they're willing to cut and compare them with the benefits of selling your car outright and getting a used hybrid.

Another thing I don't know though is how negotiable the prices of hybrids are right now. They're a niche market and in high demand, so I'm wondering how much you can talk them down from sticker versus another type of car.

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no deals getting cut on the hybrid. The monthly payment difference of $30 on a new versus used (with a trade-in), isn't worth not getting the car I want, with the options I want-like a used car.

Unless someone here wants to give me $3k for the 99.

·
Registered
98 Deville (DTS) - 40k
25 Posts
The Fusion is a nice car. The Hybrid has all the bells and whistles. I drove one and I thought it rode really well and I loved playing with the Sync and the blind spot thingy and the rear camera (small monitor on the rear view mirror - it did not have nav). The dash was nice as well. The one I drove had leather and I was impressed by how nice it was overall...

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
There's always a catch. I don't pay much attention to this CARS stuff but I think I heard the car you trade in has to get less than 17 mpg as posted on the window sticker when new. If that's true a 99 Deville won't qualify. I don't think any fwd car will qualify.

·
Registered
Cotillion White 2002 Deville
114 Posts
Per the "FAQ" section on the cars.gov page, the combined fuel economy of the trade in has to be 18 mpg or less. If you go on the http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm site it will tell you the combined city and highway fuel economy; for the 99 deville it was 18 combined (derived from 15 city and 24 highway.) It's eligible!

Looks like the 2000+ devilles aren't though, because their combined rating is 19 - 16 city and 25 highway due to the slight fuel efficiency increase in the new Northstars.

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, the '99 Deville - http://www.tgnagy.com/caddy.htm - is gone. Going to the scrapper, not being stripped by a junk yard, but going to the crusher. I ended up getting $4,610.50 for it, with a leaking rear suspension, dead exhaust, dead driver's seat heat, dead fuel gauge, and screwed up traction control. Plus, it had a host of door dings (thanks to the parking lot drones), and some well-worn seats after 145,830 miles.

But I pulled out both cup holders, the homelink/garage door opener, and the vent shades (rears are cracked, fronts are good). I also pulled the wheel centers, but I think they are already sold.

If anyone is interested in any of the stuff I listed above, let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
CARS is the most insane program I have ever heard of.
First the car has to get less than 18 mpg, it has to be less than 25 years old, and there is a cap on the price of the vehicle you buy, which means you pretty much can't buy any Cadillacs.
Also the dealer you trade the car into must destroy the engine and send the car to a salvage yard.
Completely insane.
Seems to me if you want to include the old junkers that should get off the road... then you should include the old junkers that you want to get off the road.

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, it's crazy to take some of these cars off the road, but when opportunity knocks, open the door.

I was in the market for a new car, and getting double the market value, is OK with me.

They came up with the 25 year cap to avoid crushing "classics" - hah!

We were looking to save some $$ on gas. We got a 2010 Prius. I'll get a caddy once the kids (7 and 9) get old enough to not trash the back seat of the car.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
There are several GM made cars that come very close to hybrid fuel economy.

The sad part is many great cars are going to be crushed because of this stupid program.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't give a crap about fuel. I'm driving what I want, when I want, where I want. There's more fuel in this country than we know what to do with. So much so that most of the crude from Alaska gets exported.

There are still barges sitting the the ocean full of oil because we have no place to store it.

Listen up folks, There is no, never was and never will be a shortage of crude oil in this country.

·
Registered
1999 Deville
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not into it for the tree-hugger aspect, but the wallet aspect. I'm tired of $600-700 a month in gas and wanted a new car.

·
Registered
97 Deville N*, 2005 CTS V6
97 Posts
I've been mulling over this also but I cant come outside to a Prius... that just doesent do it for me. A Caddy is more symbol than vehicle.. is says...

F*ck YOU Honda guy... THIS is a car! Excuse me european car yuppie.. CADDY coming through!!
My 97 deville has given me some problems but its never left me anywhere. took me a while to get the starter issue fixed but its fixed now.. and I just replaced my spark plugs and aside from the slight shake at 80mph (Needs 2 lugs on the front left wheel).. its as smooth as ever. It just begs for a road trip.
How much did you spend on the Prius? Your Caddy was nice.. I spend about $200 a month is gas but Im not taking on 5 years of payments for anythng right now.
Unless they make a hybrid CTS-V.. I'd do that!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts