Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow I like you car...I from Wisconsin..Regarding your brake question...If you not tracking it the factory brake's are fine for hauling it down. On the track they will last for about 20 mins on Road America and then start to fade over the next 3 laps. I use no boil brake fluid and ceramic pads and drilled rotors.The only reason I'm changing them is he see's some hard ass braking on a track days....I've had the brembos and 18' wheels for 2 years now and still haven't done it cuz I almost never drive for 20 min on track. I have a Maserati GT and it handle's most of my track days now. Mostly cuz the seat's in the caddy are just not up to the job. After a day out I feel like I've been at the gym all day...and don't even get me started on the steering wheel...but the reality is he dosn't belong there ... But it's just to much fun driving it flat out and to see the look on the face of the guy with the V trying to figure out how that V6 can post "almost" the same time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You do not need to pull the tower Brace to remove the Engine cover (for the oem Brace that came with cts 2007 performance package only) - you only need to do that on the STS-V 2006-2011 - and you do not need the sport Hood for models 2005+ it's a flush perfect fit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Please talk about the mods - the 3.6 engine gives out a clean ~255 hp - would you mind listing the mods you have used to get closer to 300 - this is my daily - and i do not abuse the STS-v because it's a rare animal and it deserves the quiet - but would love to know more about the mods you put on your 3.6.

i am currently looking to get the Fe5/Je5 - but this will not give the extra juice she deserves, just better handling and stopping power.

much appreciated Ronn

·
Registered
04 CTS sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The go fast part of the car is the NOS system that one of the guys help me install. Back 9 or 10 years ago when we did this nos was just getting popular because of Fast and the Furious. NOS "that's the brand name" and it was a bit of a thing to install. It's a stand alone system that does not just turn on ...It has a full 1 sec delay to full on...which allows for a little less drastic change on you engine..and retards the timing. I would normally just slap a turbo on but again I was not looking for that much refab. I don't run nos on the street ...well mostly. The system comes with nozzle's for 50hp..100hp...150hp...we figured right in the middle would be good.. we shaved the rings .00020 as I think it was..as directed on the rebuild. This is so on high boost the rings don't bind and grenade your motor. I want to say the system was like 600 bucks. I would assume you can still get it...maybe better now. But if you are going for more the 50 shot I would rebuild...This car is an easy rebuild and very cheap. So does it make a difference...Hell yeah! We installed the button in the ash tray next to the cig lighter. We had it installed on the sport button but this turned out to be problematic every time we disconnected the batt so we moved it to work just by itself. As far as suspension I listed that above. I have the hotchkis sport bar's which are no longer available but I do believe the track bars are...if you want it extra sporty. But that will increase single wheel impact so that is why after changing the springs 4 time's we went with the stock sport spring's...I still wanted it to ride like a caddy and not some street monster. My set up feels very much like a AMG set up....firm but not harsh. If you can find the trans brace this will stop the center shaft bearing from going out all the time. That was a tip from one of my V buddy's. So there it is ...its nothing special just a few mods to ad to the sport part of the name...and tame enough to give to my little girl ...minus the nos of course. I didn't think anyone would care about this car any more..I kept him around just cus I like the way it looks and drive's....which it does like brand new....Going down the highway in cruise at 75 it gets good mileage and you could get in the back and go to sleep it stays dead straight down the road. Oh hey that reminds me ..When I had the caddy dealership do alignment the guy doing it called me and said there was a bulletin on the rear struts bolt opening to be ground out for more movement...He did it and the change was night and day...Never have I felt such a change in a car from such a small thing...Some things I do have done at the dealership cuz of time....and they know him by name..It's pretty funny to drive in there and the guys yell "Elvis"...he was bought new there and that is going on 15 years now...and he's always spotless so they don't get dirty. OK this has gotten long so later and I hope that helped. Ron

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ron thanks for the detailed info - i do not want to do a NOS on my CTS because i would use it and rebuilding my daily engine is not fun - and i do not have all the required tools, however i am getting very comfortable with this engine - do most of my work on it - sparkplugs / coils / filters / radiator / water pump / etc - it was a little intimidating pulling the Intake out, but past that point it was eazy and i learned alot - very fun project car.

You are so wrong about the first GEN (ppl love it)- the problem is that many of them are in a bad shape because they were accessible and ppl did stupid upgrades like aftermarket RIMs (which i do not really understand why one buys 2000$ rims but do not do fix the timing chain or change the coils) and also after-market rims mess mess up the ride and tires if one does not purchase the correct ones.

The First GEN CTS aged well if left stock with the sport package - ppl are starting to rebuild these around Detroit because there are many parts in the junkyards.

One of the last cars that has no curves and just sharp lines. The second generation they started added the Curves, and while it looks good, i still prefer the first Gen - expect some of them to come back to life and ppl will love them, or just some odd die-hard CTS that keeps running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When my rear diff cracked when I was trying to replace the bushing, I bought a used 80k mile differential off of a junkyard CTS. The total cost of the part and them pulling the diff for me at the junkyard = $250. Its a limited slip, fe5 suspension. When I did this procedure I also replace the pinion seals, axle seals, rear main seal, center support bearing and those black donut things on the drive shaft. I've been driving it for two years now. The diff started to whine the other day, so I changed the fluid with GM fluids and the whine went away. That engine looks sweet.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts