Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..been years sense I've been here. I have an 04 luxury sport and changed the carrier at 92k and its time for a new one. I can get a new one again for around a 1000$ and I'm cool with that but was wondering if these things can be repaired instead. I have the limited slip version part# 19178782...I thought you would like to see the mill I built for it...had to do it cuz the NOS was binding the rings..... so figured I'd just do a full on rebuild so I could shave the rings. So any info on that carrier you can share would be nice cuz its just a rabbit hole when I search it. Thanks in advance Ron

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
Sweet engine!
As for the differential, it may or may not be salvageable depending on what's wrong with it. Do you know which part(s) failed?

·
Registered
04 CTS sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't pulled it down. Still drive's fine .I only put like 1500 miles a year on it now..there's no drive line lass like the last time... just the growl. I have a Maserati GT and it has to go in for a new clutch and I have an outing at Road America in July and I'm sure it won't be done in time for the event so I was going to use the caddy instead. And I don't want to be beating it around the track at 140 with the carrier making noise. I'm pretty sure I will just snag a new one again. I was just hoping to be a cheap skate and pull off some bearing change and it would be ok. I contacted a friend who restores old caddy's and he is hooked in to GM and he can get me one for 785$ and that is looking like the best solution. It only takes about 2 hour's to change so unless some super caddy dude on here has some other fix that looks like my only choice. Compared to the 4 grand for my new clutch 785$ sounds cheap. Thank you for the reply thou. Ron

·
Registered
54 Posts
sweet engine man - is this a 2004 3.6 or the Opel 3.2? sweet jesus - what did you do to it?.. this engine got lots of love..

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken it looks like just a really clean stock engine with a little color added. Still really nice looking!!

Roy

·
Registered
04 CTS sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've owned Elvis forever he's a 2004 Lux sport. I don't day drive him any more..I have other cars..But I am fond of this one. All I did to the eng is full rebuild ..shaved rings cuz 100 shot of Nos. hochkis susp. and cts v gm nuernberg struts. I have new XLR 18" wheels and brembo break upgrade to put on when I get the chance cuz I do track him. Here's some pic's if your interested.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks really nice. Where did you get the strut bar? I've looked around a little bit for one.

Roy

·
Registered
04 CTS sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just can't remember...too mean projects ago...I also have the rear strut brace installed and the trans brace. You do not have to do this to make these cars handle well....We had finished the suspension setup like two years before we added the bracing and it felt pretty much the same to be honest ...but this is where the car bends and if you are going to abuse it a lot then I recommend it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know what you mean about too many projects as I have 14 cars currently and I've done upgrades to 11 of them so far. I have taken the car to the road course so far and it felt pretty good but with the 2.8 L engine there's just no power to get down the straightaways. The early cars were developed on the Nurburgring so they're pretty good to start with. Can't hardly wait to fix a few problems on some of my other cars and get them back to the track also. Google December 1999 Hot Rod Magazine and you can pull up a picture of my Mustang on the cover.

Roy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts