Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Just bought a 93 Eldorado. Good news is no exhaust gas in the coolant. The bad news is that the previous owner parked it outdoors and the carpets are soaked. I've pretty much resigned myself to pulling the carpet, which means pulling the console. Anybody willing to walk me through it?

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,253 Posts
Almost certain the seats will have to be removed to remove the carpet. Generally those bolt to the frame accessible from underneath.
The console how to remove that I don't know.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
535 Posts
If the console is the same on your 93 as my 98, then it's more involved to remove.
You have to remove everything... Shifter knob, shifter plate, head unit (i.e radio), all the climate controls, console box, etc. If it is the same, I'll try to track down a previous thread by a member that posted the steps to remove it and post it here. I believe the thread topic was about sound deadening the floor.
I had to remove mine when installing an IPOD adapter in my trunk and had to run the cable under the console to the ash tray.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the console is the same on your 93 as my 98, then it's more involved to remove.
You have to remove everything... Shifter knob, shifter plate, head unit (i.e radio), all the climate controls, console box, etc. If it is the same, I'll try to track down a previous thread by a member that posted the steps to remove it and post it here. I believe the thread topic was about sound deadening the floor.
I had to remove mine when installing an IPOD adapter in my trunk and had to run the cable under the console to the ash tray.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm getting close. I have the console box loose, the radio out and the shifter knob off. I can't get to the connections to the lumber control/heated seats control and I can't lift the box around the shifter unit or figure how how to move the shifter unit if that's what's required. I'm getting to the point where I fear doing some damage in my ignorance. I've tried sliding the carpet out under the console box, but because it's rigid molded foam rubber, it's too stiff to slide. The fact that the foam rubber is filled with several gallons of water probably doesn't help either.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The shifter trim plate that has the gear position indicator is attached to the panel below it. My panel is wood grain and I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly.
You have to remove the panel itself which is held on with 4 clips..2 on each side.. (2 toward the top and 2 toward the bottom. Use a trim panel removal tool inserting it between the panel and the console or across the bottom of to just pop it up. once it should come off easily and once you pop one side up, the rest should follow.
Once it's loose, I had to put the car in neutral or drive to slide the panel up off the shifter shaft. It wont slide of with it in Park.
Once you lift the panel up, you can unplug the connectors from the heated seat buttons. Once the plate is out, you can see any other screws holding the console down. some of the other screws are under the console box.
The console has to come out completely before trying to remove the carpet. just take your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shifter trim plate that has the gear position indicator is attached to the panel below it. My panel is wood grain and I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly.
You have to remove the panel itself which is held on with 4 clips..2 on each side.. (2 toward the top and 2 toward the bottom. Use a trim panel removal tool inserting it between the panel and the console or across the bottom of to just pop it up. once it should come off easily and once you pop one side up, the rest should follow.
Once it's loose, I had to put the car in neutral or drive to slide the panel up off the shifter shaft. It wont slide of with it in Park.
Once you lift the panel up, you can unplug the connectors from the heated seat buttons. Once the plate is out, you can see any other screws holding the console down. some of the other screws are under the console box.
The console has to come out completely before trying to remove the carpet. just take your time.
Got it. Carpet and foam backing was so full of water I had to use a wheelbarrow to haul it into the back yard. I'll give drying a shot, but I likely buy a new one.

·
Registered
535 Posts
No problem.. since you have the carpet out, you may want to consider putting down sound dampening material to quiet the ride before putting back everything.
As for the Idle control valve motor, I dont know what that is..

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's interesting, I got my other car (a 1984 Peugeot) flooded last week, sunroof water outlets were plugged and water seeped by the roof liner. A few cm's of water above the carpet level.
What I did was to remove the back seat which is very easy in comparison to the front ones which allowed to lift the carpet. Then with a sponge I took the water away. When no water comes back in the felt-ish thing under the carpet you can go to next step.
As I have no closed garage (just a cover) and the thing would not dry by itself until next spring I put a small electric space heater and a dehumidifier in the car facing the wet part to dry it. Takes a few days to get the car dry and drivable. Carpet will eventually need a good clean but I'll wait for summer as doing this in winter when nothing dries seems like a massive pain in the rear end.
Lesson learned, I bought a car cover, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's interesting, I got my other car (a 1984 Peugeot) flooded last week, sunroof water outlets were plugged and water seeped by the roof liner. A few cm's of water above the carpet level.
What I did was to remove the back seat which is very easy in comparison to the front ones which allowed to lift the carpet. Then with a sponge I took the water away. When no water comes back in the felt-ish thing under the carpet you can go to next step.
As I have no closed garage (just a cover) and the thing would not dry by itself until next spring I put a small electric space heater and a dehumidifier in the car facing the wet part to dry it. Takes a few days to get the car dry and drivable. Carpet will eventually need a good clean but I'll wait for summer as doing this in winter when nothing dries seems like a massive pain in the rear end.
Lesson learned, I bought a car cover, too.
Hahaha I first had an inch or so of water in the passenger rear floor pan. I took a shop vac to it, and to the rest of the carpet as well. It seemed nice and dry, but the car still smelled moldy and the next day it was wet again without rain. So I removed the door sills and the rear seat ( a whole saga in itself) and peeled up the carpet. I discovered it had a foam backing that was saturated. I took a shop vac to that, propped it up and left a fan on it overnight. Still wet the next day, so I reversed the shop vac hose so it blew out, and stuck it under the carpet, thinking that the leaf blower effect might help. It did a little, but then I discovered the water had also gotten into the front passenger floor. So out came the passenger seat, repeat process with indifferent success. I also bought a small space heater and stuck that under the carpet, at the risk of melting my seat wiring. When I discovered the rear driver's side was wet I knew the whole carpet had to come out. (A whole other saga.) After a couple of days in the basement with a space heater and a fan, it's finally dry.
On another note, today I installed a rubber floor mat in my 1965 Ford pickup. went right in no problem and if it gets wet, who cares?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts