Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I promised I'd make some kind of website/write up on how I built my in-car computer. I finally sat my ass down and made one after a few months of procrastination and :alchi: . Here's the link. It's still a work in progress and if you think I need to go into more detail on anything, I'll listen.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yomommas said:
pretty nice, did i mis the price?
The price came out to about $900 for parts. I should put this on the top of the hardware page.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TripleOught said:
thats 900 if you already have the nav, right?
but seriously here, you could make like 200-300 doing this for members i bet...i already know someone who might be willing to pay...
The factory nav system isn't required. The price was for hardware only and I spent a lot of time finding the cheapest price possible. I already had a license for XP Pro and the GPS software so I didn't have to pay extra for those. If you had to buy the software, it would be an additional $400-$500 dollars. Because I already had the software and didn't have to pay for anyone's labor, the system was cheaper for me than if I were to buy and install the factory nav system.

If I were to build one of these for someone and provide all the software, I would need to charge between $1700 and $2000 because the molding takes a lot of time. The pricing on the front end that I use on the computer hasn't been released by the author either so that may also increase the total price. The price is probably a little high for most though so I probably won't get many offers although it would be fun to do.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Still an amazing project, a Car Computer, very cool stuff indeed. When I went to the autoshow yesterday I was really amazed by all the cool stuff you could do with the Audi A8, Acura RL, Infiniti M45 and BMW 7-Series onboard computers, but yours puts them all to shame!! You should hookup somesort of wireless Mouse and keyboard too so when other people start putting stuff like this into thier CTS you can drive around and have LAN parties with Unreal Tourny or something lol

Or maybe I'm just a nerd :duck:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
so, if you already have a license for XP Pro or Home can you use that? like if you had it on your home PC i mean, and just use the serial number...should be fine as long as you don't update both at the same time...or are you talking about a different type of license? so what are you saying here, 2000? for that price it really isn't that unreasonable...my car was probably like yours...i had the lux sport with the stock bose and 6 disc...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
He didn't start with a nav (that would have made the project uneccessary). He started with the standard DIC based head unit. Integrating a CarPC with the existing DIC was obviously not only a lot of work, but took some real electrical engineering knowledge. This is not a project for the faint of heart, or the novice. IMHO, it would not be very simple to duplicate by others. 99% of home computer users don't know how to install Windows, let alone configure the front-end software to integrate seamlessly with the other apps (maps, radio, weather, etc). I've seen other CarPCs that use Linux, since it's free and very customizable, but you've got to be a Linux hacker to get it right.

$25 an hour would be a bargain for getting work done like this (my entry level engineers make close to this). But at that rate, it's only 10 hours of work for $250, and I'd be suprised if it took less than five times that, once you factor ordering parts, hacking hardware, installing software, and installing the unit in the car. At that rate, this would likely run over $2000 at fair market prices.

MBai is too modest and makes it look easy. The guy is brilliant.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i'm not denying the fact that he's brilliant, thats a given. i know the project is extremely difficult, and since i my background is in electrical engineering i know how hard it is to get systems to "vibe," especially hardware and software. unfortunately, i'm much more versed in power systems than coding, so i would need one hell of a tutorial to walk through. i've done assembly language and all that crap, but honestly i didnt care for it too much. neat concept, just not for me...anyways, i was just going by what he said...as to not make any incorrect assumptions about time and labor...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Well I promised I'd make some kind of website/write up on how I built my in-car computer. I finally sat my ass down and made one after a few months of procrastination and :alchi: . Here's the link. It's still a work in progress and if you think I need to go into more detail on anything, I'll listen.
As I have mentioned to you in the past you have done an excellent job with this project and I give you props. :thumbsup: This is a good solution for someone that wants video and mp3 support in one unit.

What I dont like is the way the DIC looks on the non-Nav radio's and for that reason I went with the factory NAV upgrade and I feel that the factory NAV fills the dash out perfectly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:jawdrop: wow.....kewl. Looks like a lot of work to me, and you better know your sh!t or you'll mess this up bigtime. I agree with others, this guy is "on his game".

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
some links to help others with this. do some googling.

very good work by the way.
did you get a shock resistant hard drive, like a notebook drive?
same for the dvd drive?
http://www.xenarc.com
and useful as well

http://www.mp3car.com/

hmm this is even a better option than the navi system, with this you can play your dvd's all you want.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
odysseus said:
He didn't start with a nav (that would have made the project uneccessary). He started with the standard DIC based head unit. Integrating a CarPC with the existing DIC was obviously not only a lot of work, but took some real electrical engineering knowledge. This is not a project for the faint of heart, or the novice. IMHO, it would not be very simple to duplicate by others. 99% of home computer users don't know how to install Windows, let alone configure the front-end software to integrate seamlessly with the other apps (maps, radio, weather, etc). I've seen other CarPCs that use Linux, since it's free and very customizable, but you've got to be a Linux hacker to get it right.

$25 an hour would be a bargain for getting work done like this (my entry level engineers make close to this). But at that rate, it's only 10 hours of work for $250, and I'd be suprised if it took less than five times that, once you factor ordering parts, hacking hardware, installing software, and installing the unit in the car. At that rate, this would likely run over $2000 at fair market prices.

MBai is too modest and makes it look easy. The guy is brilliant.
Thanks for the comments :)

I didn't know what the average labor charges were in the market. Apparently I underestimated them so it may be more than what I initially guessed. If I were to actually build this for someone, I would sit down with a break down of all the parts and labor requirements to determine a fair price. :)

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kael said:
some links to help others with this. do some googling.

very good work by the way.
did you get a shock resistant hard drive, like a notebook drive?
same for the dvd drive?
http://www.xenarc.com
and useful as well

http://www.mp3car.com/

hmm this is even a better option than the navi system, with this you can play your dvd's all you want.
Yup, that site (mp3car.com) is very informative. That was the main source of reference when it came time to finding software. I also ordered several parts from their store.

I didn't get a shock resistant hard drive but I mounted it vertically to prevent physical crashing of the hard drive. So far so good. The DVD drive is a notebook drive to prevent skipping.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
so my friend, where are you located? i see your webspace is at u mich, are you from the michigan region or just going to school there? i went to state myself...but i won't hold that against you...i think we may need to have a sit down in the future about this...i'm pretty generous with compensation

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
That is AWESOME!

Its byfar the best interior mod I've seen. It looks just like the factory equipment.

If you changed out the LED's on the DIC to a white/blue instead of amber, it would be perfect.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
Mbai2 said:
Mbai-

Are you indian? I see that you are listening to Bhangra, my co-worker is a Singh and he loves that music. Its starting to grow on me a little too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts