Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wrapped the interior with Carbon Fiber wrap. I'm thinking about doing the trim pieces only. The ones you have to pay $$$ to swap out as an accessory. Curious if anyone has tried this yet and if they have pictures. Also if so, what was the method? Did you take the trim pieces off first to apply the wrap or just left the pieces in place while applying the wrap? Lastly, what wrap did you use?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6MT
637 Posts
I haven't wrapped the interior but I did wrap the window trim, and front and rear reflectors with the 3M dinoc carbon fiber, it is an EXCELLENT product!! a piece 2'x60" is about $55-$60

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I haven't used it on a Cadillac, but did on another car. If you can remove trim it will be best to do so. Carbon fiber vinyl is very easy to manipulate with a little heat. I thought of doing the same thing when I get an ATS. 3m makes an awesome product.

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys, I want to figure out how to remove the trim pieces safely without breaking any tabs or clips. I just ordered some wrap from Amazon. I went with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl.

So a second question is now, can I ise my wife's blow dryer or do I need to get a heat gun?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6MT
637 Posts
blow dryer will work just fine! I used a heat gun but I have also used the hair dryer option and works almost as good.

as for the trim pieces I took a few of mine in and out just to see how easy/difficult it was and I was surprised how easy it was.....I used a plastic window tinting tool(kinda like a squeegee) and was able to pop them in and out no problem

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, I want to figure out how to remove the trim pieces safely without breaking any tabs or clips. I just ordered some wrap from Amazon. I went with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl.

So a second question is now, can I ise my wife's blow dryer or do I need to get a heat gun?
Heat gun with temp settings works best (use low). Blow dryers blow a lot more air, while a heat gun is more heat than air so it isn't blowing the vinyl around. I'm sure harbor freight sells one for cheap, or spend $20 at Home Depot.

I would also be curious to hear how easy or hard it is to remove the trim pieces in an ats.

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blow dryer will work just fine! I used a heat gun but I have also used the hair dryer option and works almost as good.

as for the trim pieces I took a few of mine in and out just to see how easy/difficult it was and I was surprised how easy it was.....I used a plastic window tinting tool(kinda like a squeegee) and was able to pop them in and out no problem
Thanks, I have the trim tool kit. Where part of the trim pieces should I pull first?

Heat gun with temp settings works best (use low). Blow dryers blow a lot more air, while a heat gun is more heat than air so it isn't blowing the vinyl around. I'm sure harbor freight sells one for cheap, or spend $20 at Home Depot.

I would also be curious to hear how easy or hard it is to remove the trim pieces in an ats.
Thanks for the heads up on harbor freight, I went over there and got a cheap one for $15. I have never heard of them before...

My wrap is being delivered tomorrow and I hope to have the pieces done this weekend. I am just not sure yet how I will remove those trim pieces. I hear you can easily break the clips so I want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T, Gone but will be missed, '13 SRX4 Performance
473 Posts
Please post photos of the process, start to finish. I'm sure many of us would be interested to see them.

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please post photos of the process, start to finish. I'm sure many of us would be interested to see them.
Still waiting on the delivery of the wrap... I purchased off of Amazon and thought it was coming 2-day like almost everything else does from them with Prime. However, this wasn't Prime eligible. Still waiting and estimated delivery is not the 18th. :-/

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still waiting on the wraps, they were suppose to be delivered by the 18th. I purchased through Amazon from a seller named IKON Wraps... I just sent them an email as tracking info shows that USPS has yet to pick up the package. WTF!?!?! Definitely not a happy consumer right now.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Mine arrives a week from today. I ordered the 3m 1080 Carbon Wrap from Metro Restyling on Amazon. When I lived in Michigan they were local to me so I chose them for a seller. I've used Dinoc on two cars before and it's a bit challenging to work with. I've heard the 1080 is much easier to work with and looks good so I went that route. I'm hoping I can remove the trim pieces without having to pull panels off, because it will make the wrap so much easier.

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
I got bored last night so I decided to take off one of the trim pieces to see how it was. Here are how the backs look like. It was pretty easy. I started on the "narrower" side where the handle is and used the trim piece removal tool to pry them out right by the clips.

If you see in the middle, there is a hook sticking out the back, you need to make sure when you are pulling it out that you are conscious that you are pulling out the piece in the direction that will avoid getting that hook stuck. When you are re-installing it you will want to do the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I got bored last night so I decided to take off one of the trim pieces to see how it was. Here are how the backs look like. It was pretty easy. I started on the "narrower" side where the handle is and used the trim piece removal tool to pry them out right by the clips.

View attachment 284801

If you see in the middle, there is a hook sticking out the back, you need to make sure when you are pulling it out that you are conscious that you are pulling out the piece in the direction that will avoid getting that hook stuck. When you are re-installing it you will want to do the same.

View attachment 284809
You are awesome, thanks! I used a trim removal tool on the trim piece on the drive side door. I was starting to pull the thin piece on the opposite side of the door handle and the very end chipped the fake wood coating chipped slightly so I stopped. When my vinyl comes in, I will try again on the opposite end.

·
Registered
ATS Base 2.5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are awesome, thanks! I used a trim removal tool on the trim piece on the drive side door. I was starting to pull the thin piece on the opposite side of the door handle and the very end chipped the fake wood coating chipped slightly so I stopped. When my vinyl comes in, I will try again on the opposite end.
I would say I also used my fingers to feel where the clips were. Each one I tried to get a good sturdy grip with my fingers by it so I could have a solid pull on it. When re-installing I started on the opposite end, and making sure the hook in the middle was fished through the opening first before I started to really apply pressure.

Also I just put a claim in with the vendor on Amazon and I am currently looking for another wrap. I want the di-noc only because I've seen it in person and like the look on a friends Lexus IS-F. According to him, using a heat gun makes the wrap process on the di-noc easier. Just need patience. We'll see how much patience I have...

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I would say I also used my fingers to feel where the clips were. Each one I tried to get a good sturdy grip with my fingers by it so I could have a solid pull on it. When re-installing I started on the opposite end, and making sure the hook in the middle was fished through the opening first before I started to really apply pressure.

Also I just put a claim in with the vendor on Amazon and I am currently looking for another wrap. I want the di-noc only because I've seen it in person and like the look on a friends Lexus IS-F. According to him, using a heat gun makes the wrap process on the di-noc easier. Just need patience. We'll see how much patience I have...
It's too rigid without a heat gun. Order from Metro Restyling from Amazon as the seller. I just checked my tracking number and it arrives tomorrow. They sent it 2 day priority mail.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
I ended up wrapping all the wood trim tonight. It took about 4 hours total which is about what I planned. All the trim came off pretty easily with plastic trim removal tools. One tip. The trim to the left of the steering wheel. It is held in by one clip and two hooks. Only pry on the right side of the trim or you will break the hooks. I broke one of them, but was able to repair it with plastic weld.

The 1080 vinyl is so much better than Dinoc. Not just in appearance, but also in installation. It was much easier to work with, and I think it looks better. I have both in my garage and was able to compare side by side. The 1080 is a little more glossy and darker in color.

Here are some quick photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
Same color combo as my car. I want to do this come spring. LookS good man. The grey in the interior looks like it's white. I know it's grey but now I like the looks of white interior in this car. Just the grey being white anyway. You could never keep that clean as a DD.
I ended up wrapping all the wood trim tonight. It took about 4 hours total which is about what I planned. All the trim came off pretty easily with plastic trim removal tools. One tip. The trim to the left of the steering wheel. It is held in by one clip and two hooks. Only pry on the right side of the trim or you will break the hooks. I broke one of them, but was able to repair it with plastic weld.

The 1080 vinyl is so much better than Dinoc. Not just in appearance, but also in installation. It was much easier to work with, and I think it looks better. I have both in my garage and was able to compare side by side. The 1080 is a little more glossy and darker in color.

Here are some quick photos.

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Same color combo as my car. I want to do this come spring. LookS good man. The grey in the interior looks like it's white. I know it's grey but now I like the looks of white interior in this car. Just the grey being white anyway. You could never keep that clean as a DD.
It's the platinum interior. The dark garage, daylight colored cfl in my garage that doesn't provide enough light, and camera flash from my phone washed it out. I am very happy with the wrap. Best $35 I could spend on this car. I've had the car 4 days and have tinted the windows, wrapped the interior, ordered new mats, ordered a spoiler, wired up a phone charger and valentine 1. In the next 30 days I will be making a fiberglass sub box and hopefully installing train horns I removed from my Saab.

Here is 1080 compared to Dinoc I bought a few years ago.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 80 Posts