Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ATS V Coupe 6M
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum and this is my first post. I am in the SoCal High Desert where triple digit summer time temps are the norm. The carbon fiber trim on the dash and doors of my '17 ATS V is coming unglued. I attempted to press it back into place but it just springs back out again. In fact, it is actually fairly difficult to press it into place... The carbon fiber does not really conform to the curvature of the trim pieces and it is going to take some very strong adhesive to hold it in place, that much is clear.

I did search the forum here, and saw only a couple of posts where others have experienced this same problem, but I did not see a solution offered, specifically what type of adhesive I might try to stick these suckers back down. After a bit of reading up I believe the bit the carbon fiber is adhered to (backing plate, if you will) is snapped into place onto the dash and doors with clips. I plan to carefully pry the pieces off and then see about re-gluing them and I suppose either clamping or weighting the pieces down with something until they're set. Anyone have any idea the type of adhesive I should use? I initially thought of the yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive (Gorilla Snot, as it's known, lol) because it typically provides a pretty tenacious grip, but the original adhesive used appears to be clear(ish) or perhaps black and am not sure of compatibility.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might share!

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
640 Posts
This is a very common issue. Another flawed GM design. They will replace it under warantee while your bumper to bumper is in effect. The next set is on you.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
Let us know your results by posting up.

·
Registered
16' ATS-V Sedan 6M
7 Posts
Day after I read this thread, I noticed the CF trim in my V starting to lift off the backing.. Playing with the pieces, looks like they will need to be replaced. They've plastically deformed and buckled in some areas. Stopped by the dealership this afternoon and got a quote of $2,000 to replace the CF trim on all 4 doors and above the glove box. CPO program doesn't cover interior trim and my bumper-to-bumper warranty expired last year, so looks like I'm stuck with the bill.

If I source the parts from gmpartsdirect.com and do the work myself, it'll be about $660 for the 5 pieces and maybe 30-45 minutes of my time.

I thought carbon fiber was dimensionally stable compared to other materials. Why are these pieces deforming?

Anyway, I may replace all CF trim with non-CF versions and wrap them in vinyl. Total cost to replace with non-CF pieces comes out to $440 for all 7 pieces plus however much for vinyl.

Decisions, decisions...

20200824_122348.jpg 20200824_122307.jpg 20200824_122357.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you in a climate that frequently hits triple digits too? Either way , should not be happening. I would send a letter to the head person at Cadillac.

·
Registered
16' ATS-V Sedan 6M
7 Posts
I'm in Dallas, TX where it did hit triple digits for few weeks. Triple digit temps are nothing new in North Texas, and all my other current and prior vehicles were/are perfectly fine. The V even gets the garage spot while my Lexus bakes in the sun!

I agree this should not be happening to any vehicle this new, let alone a luxury vehicle. I had quality issues with my 2016 Chevy truck as well, so a part of me isn't surprised.

I never understood comments bashing GM quality, but having been to the dealership several times per year myself, I'm inclined to agree with others.

That's a bummer though because I was really looking forward to the C8 Z06..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know there's numerous complaints on the c7 forum about the 3lt dash separating due to a cheap glue that loses its grip. I would keep complaining to Cadillac that it should be covered at least as a goodwill repair

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,193 Posts
Day after I read this thread, I noticed the CF trim in my V starting to lift off the backing.. Playing with the pieces, looks like they will need to be replaced. They've plastically deformed and buckled in some areas. Stopped by the dealership this afternoon and got a quote of $2,000 to replace the CF trim on all 4 doors and above the glove box. CPO program doesn't cover interior trim and my bumper-to-bumper warranty expired last year, so looks like I'm stuck with the bill.

If I source the parts from gmpartsdirect.com and do the work myself, it'll be about $660 for the 5 pieces and maybe 30-45 minutes of my time.

I thought carbon fiber was dimensionally stable compared to other materials. Why are these pieces deforming?

Anyway, I may replace all CF trim with non-CF versions and wrap them in vinyl. Total cost to replace with non-CF pieces comes out to $440 for all 7 pieces plus however much for vinyl.

Decisions, decisions...

View attachment 586570 View attachment 586571 View attachment 586572 Ri

I have the same issue with my SRT, Gorilla Glue is your friend. You just have to find creative ways to put pressure on the part when you glue it. Don’t clean it, just glue and apply pressure. Just don’t use much of that stuff, it expands big time

The replacements won’t stick any better than the original, glue it!

I just drove an ATS-V, I’m here reading and deciding if the ATS-V is a good car. I had a Gen I CTS-V back in the day, I liked it!

Reactions: Nomoevadin

·
Registered
2017 ATS V Coupe 6M
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: Thanks to all for the feedback! Per forum member slicky's suggestion I visited my local dealer. Happily they'll be replacing the trim under warranty, but it's currently on backorder so may be a few weeks before it's taken care of. Thank you also Koooop for your suggestion to use Gorilla Glue. I strongly suspect I'll eventually be faced with this same issue occurring with the replacement trim, and if/when that happens I'll give it a try. Regarding the ATS V, I picked up my '17 coupe 6-speed May of this year and have only driven a few hundred miles to date, but there is a lot to love about the car, including tight handling and impressive power. I am somewhat surprised (having driven an '05 Acura RSX S with buttery-smooth 6-speed for many years) how "clunky" the venerable Tremec transmission feels. Takes a bit of effort here and there... Going into 1st and also the 1st to 2nd shift is sometimes bit balky, but overall I'm slowly falling in love with this car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had mine replaced last month on 2017 ATS-V. Exact same issue you had and exact same response from the dealership. Only difference is they told me a few weeks for the part and it actually took two months. Parts did finally come and CF trim is looking great again. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Frost Edition 6MT Coupe
25 Posts
UPDATE: Thanks to all for the feedback! Per forum member slicky's suggestion I visited my local dealer. Happily they'll be replacing the trim under warranty, but it's currently on backorder so may be a few weeks before it's taken care of. Thank you also Koooop for your suggestion to use Gorilla Glue. I strongly suspect I'll eventually be faced with this same issue occurring with the replacement trim, and if/when that happens I'll give it a try. Regarding the ATS V, I picked up my '17 coupe 6-speed May of this year and have only driven a few hundred miles to date, but there is a lot to love about the car, including tight handling and impressive power. I am somewhat surprised (having driven an '05 Acura RSX S with buttery-smooth 6-speed for many years) how "clunky" the venerable Tremec transmission feels. Takes a bit of effort here and there... Going into 1st and also the 1st to 2nd shift is sometimes bit balky, but overall I'm slowly falling in love with this car.
Regarding that 1-2 gear shifter issue there's a few threads here on the forum that touch on that. Apparently it's a well known thing in the Tremec 6 speed family, though I had previously experienced there same things on Porsches. Overall I still love the transmission, but honesty you know you'll ever find anything to beat a beautiful Honda performance stick! The S2000 shifter feel is still something I have dreams about…

·
Registered
2017 ATS V Coupe 6M
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all, new update: Dealer phoned yesterday to let me know the replacement carbon fiber interior pieces were in, so dropped the car with them in the afternoon. Was pleasantly surprised to learn that they are replacing the total of 5 pieces, rather than just the 3 which are currently lifting.

The service writer gentleman and I were chatting when I suddenly remembered that the steering wheel radio control "rocker" button was cracked (these buttons do more than control just the radio, pretty sure, but I haven't spent enough seat time in the car to figure it all out just yet... In fact it is all rather mind boggling to me, having come from my trusty yet spartan '05 RSX S Acura, lol!). I pointed out the cracked button and he said they'd take care of it under warranty as well.

Thank you again forum member slicky, for advising me to check with Cadillac regarding the carbon fiber trim! It would never have occurred to me to check with them for that issue or this cracked radio control button as warranty issues. Appreciate it!

Service writer phoned this afternoon to say the replacement carbon fiber trim is installed and all back to better. They're hanging onto the car 'til Thursday when the new radio control button should be in.

Protodite, shifting the Tremec definitely takes a bit of muscle as compared to the Acura, which I can honestly shift easily with just one finger. Of course the Tremec is considerably stouter and has a tremendous track record, so I will forgive its few quirks.

Nosher, sounds like your replacement carbon fiber trim came via pony express Brother, lol! I am well pleased with this dealer (Rally Cadillac, Palmdale, CA) so far, and grateful to those of you here who responded to my original post. This is truly a great forum with knowledgeable and helpful members. Happy to be here!

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,737 Posts
I wouldn't have left my V at a dealership just to wait for a part that has nothing to do with driving the car. Any time you leave the car at a dealership always take pictures from each side of the vehicle for evidence in case they damage something.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,041 Posts
Good point. I usually take a slow video walk-around.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,290 Posts
I wouldn't have left my V at a dealership just to wait for a part that has nothing to do with driving the car.
And I wouldn't want to waste my time going to the dealership to pick up my car, knowing that by doing so I was unnecessarily creating 2 additional trips to the dealership to drop it off and pick it back up again only a couple of days later. Maybe I'm just lucky in that none of the dozen or more dealerships I've left cars at in a half dozen states over the past 25 years has ever damaged one of my cars?

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V
303 Posts
Definitely take pictures. I just left my car at the dealership for a few hours to do only an oil change and they managed to dent my front fender. I hate that dealer but they are my local one. I just avoid them at all costs now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definitely take pictures. I just left my car at the dealership for a few hours to do only an oil change and they managed to dent my front fender. I hate that dealer but they are my local one. I just avoid them at all costs now.
Are they fixing the damage?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts