Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Premium AWD Sedan Red
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to hear any ideas on what I experienced today. I have a 2011 CTS Premium AWD with 33,000 miles. I put new tires on it on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I cleaned the wheels using my Speedmaster brush so I could reach the dirt in the back. I did make contact with the calipers while doing the cleaning. No problems driving the car on Tuesday and Wednesday, although Wednesday was limited to backing the car out onto the driveway and returning it to the garage. Today when I attempted to drive the car, I put it into reverse to back out of the garage. The car acted like the parking brake was on or something was blocking the tires. I checked the parking brake, but it was not engaged. I got out of the car and looked for obstructions, but there were none. I got back in the car and turned it off. I started it again, put it in reverse and the same thing happened. I put it in drive, and the same thing happened. I then put it in reverse, pushed further on the accelerator. There was a noise, but the wheels broke loose and the car drove fine after that. I had the tire shop look at the brakes and they found no problems. There is no fluid on the garage floor. Any ideas as to what happened? Could it be a transmission issue? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Could be caused by surface rust on the rotors. The same thing has happened with my coupe, though normally when it has been sitting for a week or so and there has been some rain.
Not a problem, and no harm to the car. The surface rust scrubs off quickly with normal braking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vfaninva. I hope your theory is right. I did spray water on the wheels during cleaning. I am worried about the possibility of a transmission problem.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,596 Posts
Could be caused by surface rust on the rotors. The same thing has happened with my coupe, though normally when it has been sitting for a week or so and there has been some rain.
Not a problem, and no harm to the car. The surface rust scrubs off quickly with normal braking.
hummm....I would think it would take extreme rusting in that short of a time to lock up ALL of the rotors...my $0.02

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Thanks vfaninva. I hope your theory is right. I did spray water on the wheels during cleaning. I am worried about the possibility of a transmission problem.
You felt power was transmitted to wheels so it was probably caused by rust. In case of tranny/transfer case failure you wouldn't feel it in most cases. Did you notice a moisture in your garage the day before?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was no unusual moisture in my garage the day before. I definitely felt power transmitted to the wheels. The car body moved slightly, but the wheels were stuck. There was approximately 21 hours between the time I finished cleaning the wheels and when I was unable to move the car.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
^^Based on what you've said, I'm about 99% sure it was just rusty rotors. Take a look at your rotors 20 minutes after washing your car next time. If water has been allowed to dry on them there will already be surface rust.
To prevent it from happening again, try moving the car forward/backward in your driveway prior to putting it in the garage. That should clean off any surface rust and ensure the rotors are dry.

hummm....I would think it would take extreme rusting in that short of a time to lock up ALL of the rotors...my $0.02
You would think.........
I don't know which, or even if all 4 corners were locked up by surface rust on the rotors but I am certain that is what has happened with my car.
Once the wheels broke loose and the surface rust was scrubbed off, everything was perfect.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,596 Posts
^^Based on what you've said, I'm about 99% it was just rusty rotors.

You would think, but you'd be wrong.
I don't know which, or even if all 4 corners were locked up by surface rust on the rotors but I am certain that is what has happened with my car.
Once the wheels broke loose and the surface rust was scrubbed off, everything was perfect.
I'm not saying rust wouldn't appear, that's natural. But to build up enough to close the gap between the rotor & brakes is impossible. If that was the case all cars in storage, airport lots, car lots would have locked up brakes from rust. Can you imagine how serious this problem would be for the auto industry. I drive my coupe 2-3 days a week and parked the other 4-5 days it sits in the elements (rain, snow, icing...etc) . NEVER had a lock up problem from rust! Rusty rotors, all the time.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 RWD LY7, FE2
55 Posts
quick question, did you use any type of special wheel cleaner or tire cleaner that may have gotten on your pads/rotors?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ksa, I used Griot's Wheel Cleaner. I am sure it got on the rotors and calibers.

vfaninva, I wish I had a V with Brembos but mine is a 2011 Premium AWD Sedan.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 RWD LY7, FE2
55 Posts
my guess is the wheel cleaner is designed to attack brake dust... and pads. The cleaner probably degraded the surface of the pad and caused friction or bonding to the rotor. probably not a problem at this point. try not to get cleaner on your rotors in the future.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
mine is a 2011 Premium AWD Sedan.
Understood. I should have been more clear, my mistake. Being that you have the premium model, I thought you might have a higher performance braking system than the base models.
Either way, I hope this doesn't happen again to your car. :)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
Next time definitely spray off your wheels/rotors/pads with fresh water. Go for a short drive, just around the block, but use your brakes, maybe just keep your foot lightly on the brakes. Get 'em dry. Don't use your parking brake when you park it in the garage. This should take care of your problem from happening again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I thought I sprayed the wheels off adequately, but perhaps not. I will be more thorough next time and I will definitely take tinman's advice and take a short drive and dry off the brakes before I put it away. In any event, the car has driven fine ever since.

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
Well we all know that The Tinman was an expert on dealing with rust :yup:

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
We work in stainless steel!

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
We work in stainless steel!
Yea, he goes by the name tinman because he doesn't have a brain...or is that a heart? Bah, who cares, I have the courage to call him a heartless [email protected]$* without a clue. :rofl:

C'mon younguns, it's a Wizard of Oz reference...it was funny.

·
Registered
14,143 Posts
They don't remember. They only know to cue up Dark Side of the Moon after the last roar.

----------

Bitter because the Penguins suck, HurstGN?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts