Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1999 eldorado that my son drives on near empty. The car was sitting for about 2 weeks and we went to start it one day using the remote starter. The low fuel sign was on and it ran for about five minutes. I thought it was out of fuel so I added about 3 gallons. all it does now is turn over won't start or seem like it wants to start. I tried listening for the pump to come on but hear nothing. I took off the fuel filter to replace it and a very little bit if fuel came out. Before I spend 300 dollars on a new pump is there any tests that i can perform to make sure that this is the problem. Also is there an access door to the pump like on the Seville. I know the tank is more forward and is not under the trunk.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The test is to verify fuel pressure by use of a gauge screwed onto the pressure fitting on the injector rail. You either have pressure or you dont. Even buying the gauge is cheaper than the $300.00!!!

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel running through it, so running a Cadillac out of fuel risks burning out the pump. Check the pressure as above, but be prepared to buy a pump.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Thats great, with that access you can also easily verify voltage to the pump as well.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Is very simple to test if the pump is working as carnut said (you either have pressure or not). The simplest test possible is to remove the cap on the valve located at the end of the fuel line and press the valve in (like the tire valves just twice the size). Grab a rag before and cover the area around in case your fuel pressure is good should give a good solid spray. If no spray just some drips (or nothing at all) then you have 0 pressure (the eventual drips are just the remaining gas left at the end of the fuel line.
If no pressure test the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump fuse. If all fine chances are your pump is dead. At least is not an expensive repair (labor wise) since you have that access panel (is a 15 minutes job).

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
you either have pressure or not
That is not necessarily true. The pump can be weak and put out 20 psi.You will hear it run and it will spray pressurized fuel from the service port, but there will not be enough pressure to start the car.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That's exactly what happened when my fuel pump died, over 3 years ago, I had 18psi only. But in that case my car did started but ran like crap and died to the slightest gas pedal press (it was just enough to maintain a crappy idle to drive in crawl mode (pretty handy considering I was night shift and it was in the middle of the winter – Canadian winter). But in his case the car does not start at all so is different situation. That's what I meant. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
25 Posts
Where is access panel? In my GM service manual it says drop tank! Yuck,did that on the wifes Caravan.
I don't want to pull carpet out to find no panel. I would think I could feel it through carpet.
1999 Eldorado ETC.
I was hoping to fix in parking lot it died in. I have changed fuse and swapped relay but still no hummmm!!!

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Hello Everyone. Well, here we go AGAIN! Another problem with my 99 STS. I love this car, but my now 3-month ownership has cost me more than I had anticipated. I would LOVE to get to DRIVE the car some.

My thought is that I have a fuel pump problem as well. Here we go:

I knew I needed gas soon (my fuel gauge reads incorrectly, so I use the GALLONS USED readout). I usually re-fuel at 17.5 gallons or so. Today, as I arrived at work, the car said I have used 17.3 gallons. All was well. This afternoon following my shift, I went out and started the car. As I started to pull off, it started sputtering. I turned the car off thinking that it MUST be out of gas (I use Shell V-Power). So, I asked a friend to take me to get a one-gallon can, and then over to the Shell station (less than 1/4 mile from my job).

I returned to the car, put the gallon of gas in the car... and NOTHING. It just spins over and over. The VERY FIRST try, it seemed to try to start, but that was IT. Nothing from then on.

There were no warning signs, NOTHING. JUST running fine into work, and BAM!

Anyone think it can be still in need of gas? It's stuck at my job now, and I can't afford to take it into the shop. I guess it'll just sit there until they tow it away, or until my next pay period so that I can hopefully pay to have it towed to Car-X. The Cadillac dealer wants $175 just to take a look at it.

I think I'm sunk...

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what your fuel pressure is.
Thanks Ranger, I don't own one, and it's probably too expensive for me. A friend of mine asked me if I heard the "hiss" when I turned the switch on. I can't remember that I did. And the car's at my job so I can't check tonight (It's midnight here in Indy). But he suggested that I check two fuses under the back seat. He indicated that there's a minifuse (#1), and a relay beside it (#39) that both are in relation to the fuel pump. He thinks that if I hear no "hiss" or "hum"; which indicates that pump is trying to prepare to push fuel, that my fuse, relay, or both are possibly blown. I don't know if this is probable or not, but I can only check it in the morning when I go in to work.

Love the car... HATE the problems. And I financed it for the next 3 years. Yay...:helpless:

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I doubt the fuse is bad. From what I read, it needs more fuel. 1 gallon is not enough. Once at least 3 gallons is in it, turn the key to the run position and then back to off a few times to turn on the pump to load fuel in the lines, then on the 4th turn of the key continue thru to the start position. It should start, run rough then smooth out UNLESS you burnt out the pump because of low fuel??? If it starts, buy a lottery ticket because you're in a lucky streak!!!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
You can put an ear to the open fuel pipe while someone turns the key on and listen for the pump. It should run for 2-3 seconds. That will only tell you that it is running, not how much pressure it has. If carnuts idea does not work, Autozone for one, will loan you the gauge.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Or take the beauty cover out and locate the Schrader valve at the end of the fuel line (under the beauty cover, driver side-front corner, looks like a tire valve just larger). Grab a rag, unscrew the cap turn the key ON and masking the area with the rag press on the valve nipple (expect to spray gas under high pressure). If no spray or a pathetic little spray then: fuel pump. Should also hold pressure after the key is OFF for weeks until you depressurize the line from the valve.
Is such an easy job to change the fuel pump on the '98 and newer, 20-40 minutes job (depending on the skills) and an OEM pump is ~$350.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
That method will tell you that there is pressure, but not how much. You could have pressure, but not enough to run the engine.

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Hello everyone. Thanks for your comments so far.

I took out the back seat and looked at the fuse (20AM #1 minifuse for fuel pump). It was tripped. I replaced that fuse and NOTHING. I don't know much about these things, but there's another fuel pump part in the fuse box (fuse #39) which is the Fuel Pump Relay. I could NOT remove it. I didn't want to break it. It felt like it would if I pulled really hard. So, I have no idea if that's somehow blown as well. I would assume that with the blown fuse #1, everything should be safe. But I put a brand new fuse pump fuse in. NOTHING.

I guess I'll travel back up to my job this morning and add more gas. I hope this fixes it, but I'm not very encouraged.

And go figure, I had just returned the day before from a 4-hour trip from Western Illinois back to Indianapolis. I thought the 8-hour stretch over the 3 days would be good for the beast.

I just don't know... :helpless:

Also NCaddy, I'm not sure what the "beauty cover" is.

Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts