Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Writing for my parents, (and to confuse me less). They own the 04 CTS.
2 weeks ago the car just simply did not start in their garage. Sat overnite.
Their mechanic got the car, told them it was a "sensor" $500.
She called me the other day. SAME THING! Its stuck in the garage. I called this morning, and she told me the mechanic was in the garage waiting , in her words, "for the light to go out, which could take 10-15 min" before he could attemp to srart the car. Whats going on? they are elderly, I don't want to see them get ripped off.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,819 Posts
Hmmm, the only light that someone would have to wait for. 10 to 15 minutes is the anti thief light.

So my question to you, to them is... Have they changed their key at all, or started to use a key that they have NOT used in a while? Each key has it's own security chip inside, to where the car can see it and allows it to be turned on. However, it may forget a key that has not be used in a while or what not.

That light is the only light that I can think of that someone needs to wait for to turn off.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When this happened 2 weeks ago, the mechanic said it was the key, and got them a new key several days later (why that long, who knows). So they used their other keys (they had 2 others). It worked for a day but then it happened again. I live 1 1/2 hours away from them, so I cannot tell you what light it was. Just sounds funny. I have many many cars, and I never heard of this. I told them to bring it right to the cadillac dealer, (this car was inherited from my disceased mother in law), but since they already started this with their local mechanic, she does not want to spend any more $$$, she wants him to fix it or refund the money before it goes back to the dealership

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,337 Posts
i have never had this problem with my CTS. My ex had the same type problem with her Magnum. it ended up being the remote. so you are saying they were given 2 new keys, but used the original keys?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,819 Posts
I believe the dodge magnum uses a key with the remote built in. But either way, your folks need to go to a Cadillac dealer. The local shops, as far as I know, don't have access to the right stuffto work on the security key system.

KOT

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you turn the key in the ignition and there is nothing, but you have full battery power, it may be the "crankshaft position sensor." My 03 CTS is still under warranty and I had to get that fixed this winter. Basically, sometimes it just plain wouldn't start but still had full juice in the battery. After 2 trips to the dealer (towed on GM's bill), they finally figured out that was it, replaced it, and haven't had the problem since. It should have cost in the $500 range if you don't have any warranty, but different dealers have a knack for charging outlandishly differerent prices. Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
If you turn the key in the ignition and there is nothing, but you have full battery power, it may be the "crankshaft position sensor." My 03 CTS is still under warranty and I had to get that fixed this winter. Basically, sometimes it just plain wouldn't start but still had full juice in the battery. After 2 trips to the dealer (towed on GM's bill), they finally figured out that was it, replaced it, and haven't had the problem since. It should have cost in the $500 range if you don't have any warranty, but different dealers have a knack for charging outlandishly differerent prices. Good luck.
if this is the case, then DIY or buy the part and take it to a local mechanic to do for you. the part cost @ $50 +/- and it is actually quite easy to do yourself. if you dont feel comfortable with DIY, then take it to a local mechanic and they will probably do it for $50 or less

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,337 Posts
I believe the dodge magnum uses a key with the remote built in. But either way, your folks need to go to a Cadillac dealer. The local shops, as far as I know, don't have access to the right stuffto work on the security key system.

KOT
True, it does. just trying to throw it out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts