Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! We purchased a used vehicle (2006 Cadillac SRX 3.6L V6) and recently started having issues about a month ago. Started off seeing the RPMs bounce up and down as we were driving a constant speed. later started hearing knocking and grinding sounds, and twice it has stalled. I checked the oil and it wasnt even registering on the dip stick. When i drained the oil, there was just under 1 quart of oil in there. i replaced the oil filter and put in 5 quarts of high mileage synthetic oil. Afterwards, the car will not start at all. It cranks, but will not start up. I borrowed a friends scanner and these are the readings that change from idle to when i turn the key to start the vehicle.

RPM 128
CALC LOAD% 100
MAF FLOW GE/SE 2.8
ABSLT TPS% 14.9
IGN ADV DE 6
ABSLT LOAD% 65
THROT CMD% 8.6

if you need more reading I can check again and get those. Any clue to what could be going on? I have unplugged the battery for about 5-10 minutes, tried doing a flood purge, and checked connections. nothing was touched at all during the oil change except the air filter, oil cap, and oil drain plug. thank you very much for any input!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
You say it won't start. How are you taking readings at idle?

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD
336 Posts
I'm sure you've read it on here but those 1st gen v6s are horrid on using oil. like, check it every time you get gas. This is, of course, a 'feature'.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Any dash icons stay on after initialization? Fuel pump running? Look for air leaks between MAF sensor and intake manifold or something disconnected.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Furthermore, the V6 dipstick is VERY difficult to gauge. I have had readings that are alarmly low, only to have all the oil "return" by itself. I have also had periods where it will use little to no oil over a long trip and then all off a sudden have the level drop like a rock. Something to keep a close eye on for sure! I check it before and after every long trip as well as with every fuel up.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V-6 AWD
141 Posts
Back to basics.. internal combustion needs Air, Fuel, Compression, ignition
I refuse to believe it ran, you changed the oil now upon restart the engine is mechanically shot..
Maybe you disconnected something accidently.
MAF and TPS appear to be reading so
what about Ambient Intake Temp?
Are you showing fuel pressure?
Are you getting spark?
Did you wash the engine and maybe get something wet?
it's gonna be something stupid.
Proper oil weight? modern engines are VERY picky.. seen a guy fry 2 GM V8s because he thought the recommended 5W-15 was too think so he put 10W-30 in
retrace your hand movements best you can and check each and every plug. may not be unplugged but maybe by bumping it a bad wire broke?

·
Registered
2008 SRX 3.6
86 Posts
Furthermore, the V6 dipstick is VERY difficult to gauge. I have had readings that are alarmly low, only to have all the oil "return" by itself. I have also had periods where it will use little to no oil over a long trip and then all off a sudden have the level drop like a rock. Something to keep a close eye on for sure! I check it before and after every long trip as well as with every fuel up.
The only time i am absolutely sure that ours has the right amount of oil is when I change it. That way I know how much I filled it with. It almost is a matter of how you hold your mouth (as one of my old bosses used to say) when you try to determine the oil level on the dipstick. There were questions about whether I had the correct one when I bought ours, so I ordered a new one from rthe dealership. You guessed it, they sent the same one as I have.

This is the only car I have ever had that I felt the need to carry a quart of oil with me at all times. There is a perfect empty space beside (or right in front of the battery) for the quart to fit, almost like it was designed for it.

Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
2009 SRX AWD 3.6L
326 Posts
The only time i am absolutely sure that ours has the right amount of oil is when I change it. That way I know how much I filled it with. It almost is a matter of how you hold your mouth (as one of my old bosses used to say) when you try to determine the oil level on the dipstick. There were questions about whether I had the correct one when I bought ours, so I ordered a new one from rthe dealership. You guessed it, they sent the same one as I have.

This is the only car I have ever had that I felt the need to carry a quart of oil with me at all times. There is a perfect empty space beside (or right in front of the battery) for the quart to fit, almost like it was designed for it.

Good luck

Bill
Same here. Sad isn't it...

·
Registered
none
22 Posts
As Patrick said, check the four basics. Double check that nothing was inadvertently unplugged, but you may not have any compression due to cylinder/piston wear after running that low. Does it seem to be cranking faster than normal?

·
Registered
2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible
191 Posts
Steelwind:

Any follow-up to report? I posted "likes" on a couple of the responses, not because I like the problem that you've reported, but I think the responders were on the right track, and I agree with them. So, it seems that you are
down to a diagnosis by exclusion; fuel, air, spark, compression, etc. But running these engines very low on oil is the ultimate "dry-hump" IMHO.

Used to be that an engine would seize-up absent sufficient lubrication, but I think other components (NB: timing chain)
are failure-prone at higher temperatures without oil to lubricate and cool them. Please keep us informed on what you discover. Good luck and God bless you and yours

1 - 12 of 12 Posts