Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever threw an engine code PO700 or PO776 before? I was driving back from a restaurant this evening and the engine light came on then the car went into limp mode. I was probably going 30mph driving in town and I noticed the gear would hold the rpm longer than usual. Then all the sudden engine light came on. I just had it at the dealer to get some simple things replaced (speaker and idler pulley).

Any information would be nice before I take it back to the dealer. Oh and it has a wait4me transmission tune. -Thanks

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Sounds like a bad or stuck open B solonoid inside the transmission.. how many miles on the car? It is an easy fix but they have to pull the pan. Make sure they replace your filter at the same time if it has a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
378 Posts
I had this happen to me several times. They replaced the safety switch in the transmission and it fixed it.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 45k miles on the car. Jesse any concern about having your transmission tune programmed in when I take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
wont matter, my tunes are hidden. But you can put it back to stock if you want. Wont matter.

·
Registered
2017xts vsport platinum, 2011EXT, gt500
1,019 Posts
if Caddy goes to update your software,itll write over your custom tune wont it?/Id put it back to stcok to be safe

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
They cant update the software in the transmission if it already is the latest version. Which in every case of tunes i send out, they are the latest. Their software will just say it is all stock and that it is fully updated.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not concerned about them changing anything in the transmission since I can always change it back with my handheld. My main concern was if it was detectable and if they change anything with the engine tune itself. I trust that Jesse has properly hidden the transmission tune so that it is undetectable.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham,06 STS-V Black/Tango, 06 Hayabusa LE
175 Posts
Sounds like what happened to mine. Did it slip bad then go to limp mode? My issue happened out of no where and it ended up being a broken seal inside the transmission. It had to be torn down to fins the problem. I forgot what code it was but it was a certain solenoid stuck off. Since whatever was wrong had nothing to do with 5th or 6th gear I used my friends scanner to manually shift the car to 5th gear and drove it to the dealer like that. (didnt want it getting towed)

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it held either 2nd or 3rd gear until like 6-7000rpm then finally shifted. It was pretty much out of no were then the engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. I think I was going about 30-35mph when it happened on a busy street. Luckily I wasn't on the highway.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well bad news gets worse. The dealer claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with the car so they cleared the codes took it for a test drive and gave it back to me. The very same day they gave it back, I was driving back from the grocery store with my wife and all of a sudden I heard a loud rattling noise coming from under our seats. The same engine codes appeared and the car went into limp mode again. Luckily I was again less than a mile from my house and was able to drive it home. The next day I tried to back it out of my driveway and reverse doesn't work and the loud rattling noise is still present under the car. I had to get it towed to the dealer. The master tech was not in on Friday so I should hear something back on Monday.

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
Hopefully they can figure it out. Are they giving you any grief about the SC?

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's undetectable unless they completely tore it down to inspect. They were fine with the CAI, upgraded front mount heat exchange and exhaust work done. We will see what happens on Monday.

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
Good Luck.... Hopefully they can figure it out.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks PGA2B.. I am working through a few complications right now but will post up the problem and hopefully source soon. If this is a power problem or tune issue I want to make sure that everyone is aware especially if there are limitations with the tranny when modding these cars.

·
Registered
Cadillac
378 Posts
I had this issue and it was undetectable as well. The safety switch in the tranny fixed it. I did load a W4M tune again after the fix and got the issue again, so i took the tune off and never put it back on and didnt have the issue again either.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately the problem at this point is bigger than a tuning fix. I have a hard failure in the transmission (loud rattling and reverse not working at all). I am trying to determine if the warranty still stands at this point but things are not looking good. I'll update with more details soon.

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
That would be most helpful as some of us are about to embarq on the modding journey.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham,06 STS-V Black/Tango, 06 Hayabusa LE
175 Posts
When my trans went bad I was out of the factory warranty by a few months and the dealer covered it. Never said anything up front either. I did have the gmpp major gaurd active at the time but they never asked for a deductible.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to give everyone an update. My warranty has been voided on my transmission due to a tune being detected on my car. I have been contacting several performance transmissions shops to discuss the failure as well as discuss the possible solution. It seems there are only a few shops that due transmission rebuild and upgrades on these cars. FYI.. A dealer installed GM rebuilt is around $3600. I will post up all the dealer info concerning the detection soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts