Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTSV, silver, manual
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody actually weighed their car? I am curious the actual weight. I have the invoice/shipping document on my manual trans/no sunroof car and it lists 'Ship Weight' as 4150. Not sure if that is an estimate or a real weight though. I have seen published figures of 4200 for the manual, 4300 for the auto. But I gotta think the big glass sunroof is more than 50lbs. This car will never be a lightweight but I am curious the real weight.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Has anybody actually weighed their car? I am curious the actual weight. I have the invoice/shipping document on my manual trans/no sunroof car and it lists 'Ship Weight' as 4150. Not sure if that is an estimate or a real weight though. I have seen published figures of 4200 for the manual, 4300 for the auto. But I gotta think the big glass sunroof is more than 50lbs. This car will never be a lightweight but I am curious the real weight.
^ thats about right on the sunroof. Its doesnt add as much additional weight as people think. The auto/manual trans difference is much greater

·
Registered
Cts-v (on order) Red, Black interior, 6mt
57 Posts
I was under the assumption that it weighed a whole ****ing lot. Fortunately 556 hp and 550 ft lbs will get anything short of an Abrams tank moving pretty quick. ^^ and im glad to know that the sunroof doesnt add TOOOO much weight, and id like to think i negated whatever weight that added by getting a standard gear box.

BTW, assuming my cars assembly didn't get interrupted by the plant shut down (build date of 4/20? is that past the cut-off?) my car should be at the dealers in a little over a weak, i can hardly contain my impatient joy

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,717 Posts
The 04-07 small sun roof with wiring, switch, drain tubes can't be more than 40 lbs when I was holding the frame and glass in hand.

Car & Driver's test has a test panel where they weigh the car with full fuel and also corner weight it.

Norm

·
Registered
Cadillac
266 Posts
I was under the assumption that it weighed a whole ****ing lot. Fortunately 556 hp and 550 ft lbs will get anything short of an Abrams tank moving pretty quick. ^^ and im glad to know that the sunroof doesnt add TOOOO much weight, and id like to think i negated whatever weight that added by getting a standard gear box.

BTW, assuming my cars assembly didn't get interrupted by the plant shut down (build date of 4/20? is that past the cut-off?) my car should be at the dealers in a little over a weak, i can hardly contain my impatient joy
Many estimates have put the sun roof at nearly 100 Lbs when you include the motor, wires, track, rubber gasket and "glass". Even if we assume that it is only half that much - how much would it cost to reduce the cars weight by 50 Lbs? You would be hard pressed to take 12.5 Lbs from each wheel even if you spend $10K or more. A titanium exhaust system is unlikely to reduce the weight by that much and would cost $2K+ (?). Not to mention that the weight of the sun roof would be at the very top of the car and have the worst possible effect on the handling.

If you love the sun roof - the V2 certainly has enough power to push it around, but if you want the best possible performance - loose the sun roof and get $800 (?) back. Opt for the manual transmission and save another 100 Lbs while avoiding the gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS-V Light Platinum
237 Posts
Opt for the manual transmission and save another 100 Lbs while avoiding the gas guzzler tax.
:confused:

manual != gas guzzler? Are you sure about that? Take a look at this invoice from another thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/167261-2009-6-speed-thunder-gray-just.html- it's a manual and includes the gg:

2009 CTS-V SERIES GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
30U THUNDER GRAY CHROMAFLAIR /V8G & SUBSIDIARIES
195 EBONY RENAISSANCE CENTER
ORDER NO. NFZK6M/TRE STOCK NO. DETROIT MI 48243-1114
VIN 1G6 DN57 P0 90167526 VEHICLE INVOICE 6OD07607868
************************************************** *************12*20048S
MODEL & FACTORY OPTIONS MSRP INV AMT RETAIL - STOCK
6DN69 CTS-V SERIES 58575.00 54474.75 INVOICE 04/15/09
C3U ULTRAVIEW SUNROOF 900.00 792.00 SHIPPED 04/15/09
FE9 50-STATE EMISSIONS N/C N/C EXP I/T 04/21/09
LSA ENGINE, 6.2L V8 556 HP, N/C N/C INT COM 04/21/09
SUPERCHARGED PRC EFF 04/15/09
MN6 TRANSMISSION
, 6 SPD MANUAL N/C N/C KEYS XXXXX XXXXX
P80 19" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS 800.00 704.00 WFP-S QTR OPT-1
(REPLACES STD/OPT WHEELS) BANK: NATIONAL CI
R8E GAS GUZZLER TAX 1300.00 1300.00 CHG-TO 20-048
UAV NAVIGATION SYSTEM
2145.00 1887.60
WITH XM NAV TRAFFIC - SERVICE SHIP WT: 4185
FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL. HP: 52.8
UE1 1 YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS W/TURN- N/C N/C GMS: 59106.50
BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER SUPPLR: 61759.54
ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE) MRM: 65540.00
30U THUNDER GRAY CHROMAFLAIR 995.00 875.60 DAN: SPDOE
PREMIUM PAINT

·
Registered
'09 V, Thunder Gray, manual, Recaros, no sunroof.
31 Posts
Another thing to consider with regards to the sun roof is that the weight is way up high. Reducing the roof by 50 lbs would significantly lower the center of gravity.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Honestly 50-60lbs is nothing in a vehicle that weights in at 4200lbs. You could make that weight up with a low-weight battery like a braille, some drilled/slotted rotors, and a diet -lol

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Remember back when all of the published curb weights had (est.) next to them? The cadillac.com website now specifies exact weights:
  • 4,222 lbs. (manual)
  • 4,255 lbs. (automatic)
...a difference of only 33 lbs?? :bouncy:

Last time I checked (GM Media), the wet weights between the two trannys was almost exactly 100 lbs, which coincided with the early overall estimates. What could possibly have brought the overall weights so much closer together? Could the individual specs for the trannys have been that far off? :shhh:

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
239 Posts
What could possibly have brought the overall weights so much closer together? Could the individual specs for the trannys have been that far off? :shhh:
Maybe some of the following played a part:
Manual Transmission Kibbles
Clutch pedal
Clutch pedal brackets
Hydraulic clutch reservoir and hoses (I assume it's hydraulic)
Flywheel
Clutch
Pressure plate
Bell housing

Versus:
Automatic Transmission Kibbles
Flywheel
Torque converter

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,717 Posts
GM.com and look under powertrain section. It'll have dry weights of each.

Norm

Remember back when all of the published curb weights had (est.) next to them? The cadillac.com website now specifies exact weights:
  • 4,222 lbs. (manual)
  • 4,255 lbs. (automatic)
...a difference of only 33 lbs?? :bouncy:

Last time I checked (GM Media), the wet weights between the two trannys was almost exactly 100 lbs, which coincided with the early overall estimates. What could possibly have brought the overall weights so much closer together? Could the individual specs for the trannys have been that far off? :shhh:

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
The sunroof is obviously a poor choice if someone were to race the car, but I doubt that is going to happen much, except maybe in Speed World Challenge. The extra weight is unlikely to be noticed in street driving, either. However, the roof does allow driving without the A/C compressor during periods of milder weather, allowing fresh air without the noise and wind gusts of open side windows. The operation of the compressor will definitely affect performance, as well as gas mileage. The performance deficit will not be as great perhaps as with lesser powered cars, due to the abundance of power, but it can still be felt, except under full throttle when the compressor cuts out. The roof also has the advantage of making the interior brighter and roomier feeling, especially with the ebony interior. There are some other trade-offs; specifically a slight decrease in rear headroom, and some reliability issues, but overall I felt the positives out weighed the negatives, and I really do enjoy the roof in my car.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto
221 Posts
I weighed my 2009 CTS-V today (Automatic, Sunroof).

Empty Weight: 4170 lbs
Full Tank of Gas: 4280 lbs

·
Registered
2009 CTSV, silver, manual
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I weighed my 2009 CTS-V today (Automatic, Sunroof).

Empty Weight: 4170 lbs
Full Tank of Gas: 4280 lbs
Awesome, thanks! Now if I can weigh my manual no sunroof car we will have a good comparison. I don't know where to do it though?

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto
221 Posts
I weighed my CTS-V at my local trucking/shipping company's warehouse (Allied-Sorensen). They have a public scale and they will give you a certified weight for $10.

Another option is the recycling center/landfill. They have scales to weigh trucks and cars going in and out so they can charge you by the pound you leave. Those scales are free in my area. But, you might not want to take your CTS-V to the landfill.

Yet another option is joining or visiting your local racing clubs. They often have the tire scales to measure weight and weight distribution. My local Mustang Club has scales as does my local Porsche Club.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts