Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine is looking to replace her leased Camry. She had a Jeep GC for 13 years, put almost 300,000 miles on it, and ended up in the Camry because it was cheap.

Now she's looking to replace the Camry with something she actually wants so we took a look at the Infiniti Q40.

Though the no-charge AWD and included nav and sunroof and the killer lease offers are nice, the interior says "Welcome back to 2005!" and the ride makes my two Miatas feel like Lexus LS400s. I could feel my moobs jiggling as we traversed some well-maintained suburban roads. It was a bit noisy compared to more up to date competitors but the power delivery was excellent.

So, no Q40.

We looked at the Audi A3 but they want too much down for a reasonable lease payment. Plus, her 6-foot-8 dad would have trouble fitting in it. Surprisingly nice car otherwise.

The Lexus IS250 is cramped, overpriced, and gutless though the upholstery is superb.

She wants another Grand Cherokee but the only one in her price range is the base model Laredo with cloth seats. You do get at least uconnect, the Pentastar V6, an 8-speed auto, a cushy ride, gobs of style, and lots of room. It's a contender.

What would you suggest to a tall 30 year old woman who wants room for an even taller dad and a couple larger dogs?

We might take a look at the Mazda 6 and CX5.

It looks like the Regal has standard leather? How is it for head room? FWD/AWD are preferred.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
room and a couple larger dogs to haul around? To me that would rule out any sort of car. I would probably look into something like a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Nice looking vehicle. Comfortable and 5/60 bumper to bumper. I'm not sure what her price range is or if she is set on new or leasing or would consider lightly used 1-2 year old. Just one option/opinion. Lots of nice vehicles out there though I am sure.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
My son just got a 2015 Subaru Outback nicely equipped and after two months of a weekly trip to and from D.C. and dealing with an extraordinary Winter he is very happy with the car. My son is 6'1" and finds it very comfortable.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
My aunt is in the same predicament, she is TALL and has a 2005 Nissan that has been falling apart since day one. I have suggested Buicks to her because they are quality and I drive one now but Buicks may not have the headroom she needs. I am trying to get her to look at the New 2015 Impalas, nice redesign but haven't sat in one yet, they appear to have a LOT of headroom.

Jesda!!

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I've got a car with TONS of headroom, even has an extra-tall windshield. I think a basketball player could comfortably drive my ride. Just help her find a used high-top hearse!

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T Luxury
40 Posts
Mazda 6 is nice choice. I also would look at KIA optima. Nicely equipped car, plenty of room for reasonable price.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
My son has a fully equipped Kia Optima which he got for his wife last year. He says that for him at 6'1" it isn't comfortable.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Jesda, if you found the IS250 gutless, you would be equally unimpressed with the Mazda6's 2.5L.
Same motor in the CX5 ... definitely built for EPA figures. I've taken both cars home for overnight test drives, and found them just adequate in terms of torque.

Have you considered the Altima in 3.5L form?
Fast, decent fuel economy, no real need for AWD with decent snow tires.
A car that really makes the Maxima redundant.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you considered the Altima in 3.5L form?
Fast, decent fuel economy, no real need for AWD with decent snow tires.
A car that really makes the Maxima redundant.
Though they've improved since 2002, Altimas have a really poor history.

What about an SRX?
Too expensive... unless GM is subsidizing leases.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I would not get any Nissan unless it was on a short lease. Or leash. They're horribly made vehicles.

Want to have some fun? Next time you sit in an Altima, or most Nissans, shove your knee into the center console and watch it give more than the French...

·
Registered
2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
533 Posts
thebigjimsho said:
I would not get any Nissan unless it was on a short lease. Or leash. They're horribly made vehicles. Want to have some fun? Next time you sit in an Altima, or most Nissans, shove your knee into the center console and watch it give more than the French...
That's your opinion and you know what they are like--- A-- holes everybody got one.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I would not get any Nissan unless it was on a short lease. Or leash. They're horribly made vehicles.
I can't say all Nissans are bad, but in recent years, I have been a lot less impressed with them. My customers sure seem to have a lot of problems with them!

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Geez, I had no idea that Nissan made horrible vehicles.

We currently have a 2008 Altima S, a 2011 Altima SL, and a 2003 Altima.
About 360,000 klm's between the 3 commuter cars, and no real issues ... brakes, wheel bearings,
one oil pan, not much else. To be fair, they are all 4 cylinders, I've never owned the 3.5L motor.

Still, no rust on them, commuting through our snow belt up here in Ontario. During spring cleanup, I have now noticed a small spot of rust on the 2003's inner rear fender lip.

The 03 drives the best with a normal 4spd auto transmission. I hate the synthetic feel of the CVT in the newer cars, but they fit the bill for highway fuel economy.

Boring cars, but solid for commuting purposes with incredible gas mileage.
I don't have any anecdotal history, just first person ownership experiences with three Altimas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts