Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Newb here... My '97 Eldorado ETC is having a couple of issues.. I am getting the Traction Control, ABS light along with the stability warning scrolling.. I searched and found that the code points to my right rear sensor... So I think I know what to start out with there..

I am also having an issue with the check engine light and some stalling.. When I get on the car on the highway it triggers my Check Engine light to come on.. I also get a Service Idle Control warning scrolling. It seems when this happens i am having issues stalling coming off the highway... I pulled the following codes. Can someone tell me where to start with this and a ballpark expense? Codes below:

P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
P0550 - Power Steering Pressure (PSP) Switch Circuit
P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
P1380 - Misfire Detected - Rough Road Data Not Available
P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
P1604 - Loss of IPC Serial Dat

Any help is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
P0101 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance
This is what causes the engine stall. So look into MAF sensor replacement (is by the throttle body).
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
P1380 - Misfire Detected - Rough Road Data Not Available
These may contribute to your stalling problem but are not the primary cause.
P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected
This is a consequence of the above three (specially first one).
P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
P1604 - Loss of IPC Serial Dat
About this, how would you describe the your battery and battery terminals? Any aftermarket equipment (like stereo)?
P0550 - Power Steering Pressure (PSP) Switch Circuit
Not sure on this one but I would start looking in the area where the steering shaft mets the rack and pinion.

None of the codes show a issue with your ABS (EBTCM), have you omitted some?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,028 Posts
Yeah, that ^^^^^^^

The P0101 might be as simple as the connector or wiring and/or a good cleaning/throttlebody cleaning. Tutorials down in Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Technical Tips.

BTW ----------- :highfive: Welcome Aboard !!!!

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I did omit the codes that pertained to the ABS light (TCS code 1235) because they pointed to an issue with the right rear sensor and I was able to search and find loads of threads that dealt with that code..

So it sounds like the MAF is the main culprite... I was thinking check\clean\replace the MAF and the plugs and wires... Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

The power steering one I believe I know what the issue is there.. I had the steering rack replaced just a week ago.. Steering works well now but it is leaking PS fluid from some where underneath.. I already have an appointment to bring it back and have them fix that, at no cost, because they obviously didn't do something correctly as it never leaked before..

Thanks for the replies.. I'll let you know how I make out..

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
If the rack and pinion was replaced then they missed connecting the wires to the rack.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for replying..

First the ABS/Traction Control light on issue: I pulled the rear passenger side tire and found that the wire that goes to the sensor was not plugged in. I plugged this in and the lights cleared. Issue resolved!

The MFA issue: I pulled the MFA and inspected it and it's connections.. both look fine.. I bought some TC cleaner and cleaned the throttle control.. It was awful nasty.. looked like oil sludge.. I cleaned it ou well and the Check Engine Light went off. I guess only time will tell if the issue is truly resolved. Either way the TC needed a good cleaning any way. I'll give it a good run on the highway this morning on the way to work and see if the stalling has stopped.

The Power steering issue is on the mechanic to fix.. So I'm not even worried about this one... I already paid for the job, so he will have to make it right, and has said he will.

Thanks again fro the replies.. Glad I found the site.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Stick around, you will save tons of money, knowledge is power.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure I will..

Okay.. Car stalled again.. it seems to happen if I really get on it to go around someone.. hit about 4000 - 4500 rpms.. engine light comes on and car stalls when slowing down coming off the highway.. Looks like an MFA replacement is indeed in my future.. At least it's easy to get at.. :)

Power steering issue..brought it back to the mechanic that replaced the rack.. He said the high pressure hose blew.. He said it's fairly common after replacing a rack for the hose to not handle the pressure.. Not sure if that's true or not.. maybe one of you can confirm or not.. but if that's the case.. why not replace the damn thing when the rack was replaced? Either way.. he was supposed to have it done today.. but I got the story that he couldn't get a hose until tomorrow AM. These guys are beginning to get on my nerves..

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.. Replaced the MAF.. Car runs beautilful.. No stalling, no engine light, even more power than before!

Power steering.. Turns out, after bringing it back three times, that the re-man'd that was installed is no good. Taking it in Monday to have another rack put in.. Crossing fingers.. :)

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Never heard of such "common" issue with the PS hose, there is a procedure for bleeding the system, is described in the FSM, sometimes common car knowledge doesn't apply necessarily to Cadillac.
Be warned, a reman rack and pinion may start knocking in few months, is not the same as the new one, you get a Cadillac part rebuild with (most of the time) aftermarket parts and at non Cadillac standards.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado ETC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be warned, a reman rack and pinion may start knocking in few months......
N*Caddy.. If you could please give me more of an explanation of what you mean by "knocking", so I know what to keep an eye out for...

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts