Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought a 95 cadillac sts about a month ago.

I havent really driven it for long stints untill today. So today I drive it for about a hour and a half with a break to fill up on gas.I notice while im driving, the coolant temp goes up to 107 C which I believe is somewhere near 220 F. I checked the manual and it said the engine coolant is pretty much fine untill 126 C ( 250 F? ). So when im pulling into the parking lot of the place I work, my car shuts off. I cant accelerate or brake but the radio is working. Luckily I was going slow enough to realize that I could use the parking brake. I put it in park and start the car again. It starts fine but a notice came up saying service engine soon ( it went away with in seconds). So right now its in the parking lot and im at work, this happened at about 11 am. it is now 11:45.

Keep in mind im a poor college student who doesnt have alot of money. Right now im just worried that its something serious. I've read tons of stuff about head gaskets with these cars.

So is there any advice on what it might be? what I should do? I plan on taking it to a shop within a day or two, or should I bring it in asap?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
If it's randomly shutting off I would suspect a faulty CPS sensor Crank Position Sensor I think it is, was happening a lot on new caddys and also a lot on chryslers on another forum.

if that's all it is, it's a fairly cheap part (under $100).

I could be wrong so others will probably chime in with suggestions!

your other best bet, would be for you post any error codes the computer stored. There is a thread in the Tech Tips area showing you how to pull codes from your 95 Seville...those will be crucial to people helping you out here!

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iametarq thanks for your help. I did what you said and I got 4 codes.

A037 - Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster Data

P036 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Out of Range

P095 - Engine Stall Detected

S023 - for some reason it didnt have S023

If someone could explain to me what these codes mean I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Just a thought - Did you verify the belt is still on? My belt came off due to faulty pully and the car lite up like a christmas tree. I lost power steering and car shut off. I was able to restart and move to side of the road. Opened hood, saw belt and pulley called AAA to tow to my house for repair. (Since I have AAA why not use it!!) Easy fix costs about $30.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
good point with the belt, SLS Gold. My 89 Deville literally shredded its serpentine belt and I lost everything, Power Steering, braking, and lights went on everywhere.

Since it stalled when you were getting to work I'm assuming you coasted / braked with the P Brake until you got into a parking spot?

I would think if his belt is off or broken, the Alternator/Battery light would illuminate, I believe mine did when the belt broke...that too was while I was a cost conservative college student. ;)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
P036 could cause P095. I believe there is a Tech Tip on how to clean it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yeah the belt is still there, thanks for the thought sls gold.

Ranger I was thinking the same thing about P036 causing P095. Im not that handy when it comes to cars so I dont think ima attempt cleaning it.

Does anyone know what A037 - Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster Data is? is it important?

I guess ill bring it in tomorrow. Is a egr valve expensive?

Thanks for your time guys

oh and iametarq I wasnt able to coast because I was only going about 10km when it stalled. I had to go over a little hill and didnt make it. So I put in park and took the key out of the ignition. Then started the car back up and drove about 15 seconds to a parking spot. Also besides not being able to brake or accelerate, my steering wheel locked up.

Im worried that if this happens again on the way home that I might not be lucky enough to be going really slow. Do you think I should be driving home in it?

·
Super Moderator
86,996 Posts
Is a egr valve expensive?
It's a lot more expensive than cleaning it. They rarely fail. The pintle valve just sticks. If it sticks open, it will usually cause it to die at idle.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I made it home with no problems. Car seemed fine, about a 20 minute drive. I guess ill get a friend to clean it tomorrow. So does anyone know if P036 is causing P095? or are they 2 different problems?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 02 STS
39 Posts
If it's randomly shutting off I would suspect a faulty CPS sensor Crank Position Sensor I think it is, was happening a lot on new caddys and also a lot on chryslers on another forum.

if that's all it is, it's a fairly cheap part (under $100).

I could be wrong so others will probably chime in with suggestions!

your other best bet, would be for you post any error codes the computer stored. There is a thread in the Tech Tips area showing you how to pull codes from your 95 Seville...those will be crucial to people helping you out here!
Ok...........here's a code on my car..........it will stall on occasion while driving, usually when I transition from a faster speed coming to a traffic signal or slow for a turn. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened a couple of times.

The code is P0385 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor B Circuit

Is there somewhere else to look here as to how to change it and is it a difficult thing to do? I'm far from a mechanic but have a tendency to figure things out with a bit of help. If it's something I could jack up I would rather not venture into this but I have been having a bit of fun working on the car myself

Sorry for all the questions.............Looks like both CKP Sensors should be replaced at the same time. Now I only need to know if this is something that a lay person can do without damaging anything else on the car, or should I have a dealer call my warranty company with this to get approved? I have a $100 deductible on items that are approved.

·
Super Moderator
86,996 Posts
There are 2 CKP sensors. Replace them both. They are above the oil filter adapter, which will have to be removed to get at them. It is rather tight up there from what I have heard, but certainly a DIY job.

·
Registered
Cadillac 02 STS
39 Posts
There are 2 CKP sensors. Replace them both. They are above the oil filter adapter, which will have to be removed to get at them. It is rather tight up there from what I have heard, but certainly a DIY job.
Ok now you're going to think I'm nuts............I went out tonight to make sure I didn't miss any codes this afternoon (that's when I had the P0385 code current), now, and keep in mind I drove it home from work and that's it (appx 35 miles), I have a P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit code current (wasn't there before) and the P0385 is History......................UGH! Nobody has touched the car to do anything to it, why is the one now history and the other one showing up. From what I have read, you can nudge a wire for the 1189 code to show up while changing the CKP sensors....................any ideas/suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
86,996 Posts
CKP sensors can be intermittent. GM had a bad supplier from 2000 - early 2003. Sooner or later they all need to be replaced in that span. It is history because it is now working. If the oil pressure connection is oily due to a leak, spray it with Brakleen. If not, replace the switch while you have the adapter off.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado,1984 Seville
34 Posts
I am going to replace my crank sensors and have a question. You have to remove the oil filter adapter.
Do I need a gasket when I reinstall it? If I do where can I get one, called a few auto parts stores and they do not have anything on it.

·
Super Moderator
86,996 Posts
I believe there is an "O" ring, or something similar that seals the adapter. Someone who has done it will chime in. Get it at the dealer parts counter.

·
Registered
1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
14 Posts
hi just got my 1st caddy 2 week ago and everything was going good till three night ago
i was driving during the morning for like a good 4-1/2 hrs then rested it 4 11 hrs then drove it for 10 mins and everything just turned off.
i parked to the side and called a friend to come over and give me a jump he arrived in 20 mins and tried to jump the caddy but just wouldnt crank or start.....so...i got the car toed back home and the dude that toed the car said its probably my altornator!
so.....i took my alt out and got it tested...it passed everything but i still went and put a new one in.... then hooked everything back up as soon as i hooked the batt all the lights turned(i had the door and trunk open) on so i tried to start the caddy and yea its started with no problems.... so i let it run i guess to charge the batt then i got in the car and revd it up then everything shut off again then i tried to start it again and wouldnt work so i took the positive off the batt and put it back on then all the lights came on again... i started the car and it started then i let it run on its own and the after 2 min it just turn off again dont knw whats wrong with it could it be the ondash computer????
somone please help me......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts