Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experienced a complete shutdown while driving? My wife says she was driving downtown, and when she hit the brakes, the car died. She coasted to the curb and when she turned the key it started right up like nothing happened. I checked for codes - none. I pulled the seat to check the terminals on the battery and they were tight.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,473 Posts
Re: car rebooted

Replace both CKP's - textbook description of one or both about to fail.

How-to's down in Tech Tips. An hour and a half up on a lift, lower air dam removed. 10mm wobble socket, extension, small hands, magic words. Your CKP's are different from 2000 and later. Get the correct pair. Diagrams and pictures in my albums - but the CKP's are 2002, so don't get the same P/N's. Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>

Community tab, Albums. The red Seville - 120 pictures of our car parts.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
CKP = Crankshaft Position Sensor. See the acronym Sticky.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,473 Posts
CranKshaft Position sensor (The sticky ^^^ "Acronyms"). There are two - they're Hall effect generators that send pulses, induced by the teeth on the crankshaft reluctor wheel, to the ICM and PCM for ignition and injector trigger.

They're on the left lower side (front) of the engine crankcase, just right of the oil filter adapter.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
4,931 Posts
  1. Raise the vehicle and support.
  2. Remove the electrical connector at the crank sensor located on the front engine bank.
  3. Remove the retaining bolt (1) and crank sensor (2 or 3).
Installation Procedure
  1. Install the crank sensor (2 or 3) and the retaining bolt (1). Tighten the retaining bolt to 10 Nm (89 lb in).
  2. lnstall the electrical connector at the crank sensor.
  3. Lower the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
And don't forget Cam Position Sensor.

(Which is CMP sensor - CaM Position)

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I had this happen to me before. It's as if someone turned the car off....as in the dash went completely dark, climate control off, stereo off, etc etc. Like the electrical power of the entire car just got shut off. Restarted at 75 mph and continued on my way. Very weird.

Took it to the dealer and they replaced both CKP sensors under warranty. Problem did not return.

·
Registered
1999 STS Z rated!
44 Posts
Could also be the ignition switch - I had the same problem on my 99. The car just randomly shut down on me a couple of times with a completely blank dash. Then turn the key to off and re-start the engine like nothing was wrong. A new ignition switch and the problem hasn't returned in years. I believe this is a fairly common problem especially on 99s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts