Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 Eldorado quit on me today in the middle of a 250 mile trip. I had just made a left turn onto another highway and when I went to accelerate the engine started acting like it was running out of fuel. It finally stopped about 300 yds later. I was not succesful in getting it to start so had it towed home. A little past history, I took it on a trip to the Gatlinburg area over Christmas and when I got ready to leave it was slow starting, I thought it might be the cold weather but has been doing it ever since, not overly hard to crank but takes a couple of trys. That was starting to happen on an increasing frequency. I pulled some codes after I got home and this is what I came up with:
1.P461 fuel level sensor performance.
2.P463 fuel level sensor circuit high voltage.
3.P603 control module long term memory reset.
4. P1599 eng stall or near stall detected. (it did that alright.)
I thought I would see something about the fuel pump but nothing. All are memory codes. 3/4 tank of Chevron Supreme left in tank. Running wise I have not had one problem until this. Any Ideas before I call my not so favorite dealer?

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Good chance it is a bad fuel pump...I had similar symptoms with my 97 Seville last year. I was lucky enough to have it die at home. You can have your fuel pressure tested at the fuel rails, but more than likely, it's a failed pump (I didn't get any codes either related to fuel pump). You're probably looking at about $1000 to have a dealer do a fuel pump change out. Someone on this forum did his own, but it is a very dangerous job. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Remove the gas cap and put your ear to the open filler pipe while an assistant turns the key on (do not crank). You should hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds if it is good. If so, then check the pressure on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response, Ranger I will check to see if the pump is running in the morning, to tired to fool with it tonight. I do have the "service eng soon" light on also. A thousand dollars?? I will probably just let my local mech do it if need be. If it isn't the pump then any ideas what it could be, I see something about fuel rails. Thanks again every one.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
86,998 Posts
If the SES light is on, there are DTC's set. Pull them.

$1000 sounds like a lot for a fuel pump. $400 - $500 sounds more like it.

The '99 had an access panel in the trunk so the tank did not have to be dropped. Not sure if the '98 does or not, but it's worth checking.

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually there were two more codes but didn't look they had any thing to do with fuel.
IPC B1910
SDN B1327

·
Super Moderator
86,998 Posts
B1910 - Generator L-Terminal Open Circuit
B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts

B1327 will cause all sorts of problems, including the engine dying.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Boxhalr - I just checked my records and the fuel pump change by a local dealer here was $989.14 last November (before I joined this forum). It included draining and refilling the gas tank, which was nearly full at the time. Also included was the pressure testing and a new fuel filter which is common to do during a failed pump. I hope it's not the problem with your car, but the symptoms you describe are very similar to what I went through. Good luck!

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked to see if I could hear the pump running, nothing, my wife can hear a pin drop a mile away and she didn't hear it either, I'm begining to get real suspicious. The local dealer quoted $820 approx, they said the pump was $500 which is about $200 more than NAPA charges.There is an independent close by that did some work on my '93 and he quoted a $690 price max depending on which pump I have. Could it possibly be a failed pump relay? The other two codes were history codes as were the other 4. I have never had any thing come up on the annuciator panel and the voltage reads normal. I will let every one know how it works out. (I'm sure it won't be good)

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
just buy you a pump from any chain store and swap it out...dont waste your time with a dealer, if you arent not good with your hands and a wrench then take it to a shop...im guessing it would just be 150 tops for the labor since it is such a quick drop and swap job....i hope that helps.

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ranger or anyone, I looked in the trunk and no access plate there, I took a quick look under and it looks like the tank is under the back seat area or most of it anyway. I have been away from cars to long I guess but how do you get the bottom cushion out, I want to take a look under there. I don't have any one to help me and can't wrestle an almost full tank around, if there is an access plate I will do it myself. Sorry to be a pest on this but trying to get by the most economical way I can. Both the prices quoted seem a little high.

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disregard the above post, I should have checked around a little more. A couple of other postings said no acces plate any where so it's off to the shop. I think I will swap the pump relay for kicks. Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
man that sucks on there being no panel....but good luck with the shop i wouldnt pay anything over 150 for the labor....i hope that helps you some.

·
Super Moderator
86,998 Posts
Could it possibly be a failed pump relay?
Certainly is possible. Swap it with a known good one to be sure before taking it in. I guess the access panel started in '99.

·
Registered
Cadillac
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the car back late last week and it seems to be OK. The mech charged me to much for labor so have a line on a couple of highly recomended shops. When I picked it up he showed me a tag that came with the new pump that said something to the effect that a new type connector had to be used which required cutting the old connector off and splicing on the new one. The reason according to the notice was to prevent premature pump failures (wish it had been on all along). I did have a little scare, my wife and I were driving into town for breakfast Sunday and the Service Engine Soon light came on again, after fuming a couple of minures I noticed the Fuel Cap Loose notice on the annuciator panel and sure enough it was. It was still on when I started up but off after we ate, takes a while to clear I guess. Enough of this prattling on, thanks to every one for responding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts