Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all,

so my car overheated a couple of times to the point of getting that chime, and the lights saying stop engine/coolant temp. it was cause of that radiator leak i posted on the forum some time ago.

anyways, im starting to think something else caused the radiator to pressure crack. yesterday i replaced the radiator with a brand new one, new hoses, thermo, cap, and new coolant (duh). the coolant still goes beyond 224degs, which used to be the max the car went up to, but yesterday it went to 246 before i decided i couldnt bare watching the car get so hot.

SO WTF IS IT?!!?! water pump?!?!?!? I got naother car already, but I WANT MY CADDY WORKING!!!! I LOVE MY CADDDDDDDYYYYY! :banghead2

·
Registered
150 Posts
VlaDeMaN said:
aww dammit i was fearing that. i replaced the thermostat as well, w. a 160 deg one.
Doesn't look good. Head gasket might be the best thing you could hope for, and that's not good. :crying: :crying: :crying:

BTW - Does it overheat in trafffic or highway or both?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it used to overheat when there was too little coolant in the radiator, both times in the city. actually it overheated twice (each time the engine was smoking), and the last time (third) i kinda pushed it cause i needed to get somewhere, and the engine simply shut down on me. i didnt wanna drive it home, so i had it towed. its been sitting in my driveway ever since, cause i dont wanna drive it in this condition.

so i replaced the busted radiator on saturday, cause it cracked from the friggin pressure, and i simply idle it and gets as hot as a mofo...no cooling seems to be done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
VlaDeMaN said:
it used to overheat when there was too little coolant in the radiator, both times in the city. actually it overheated twice (each time the engine was smoking), and the last time (third) i kinda pushed it cause i needed to get somewhere, and the engine simply shut down on me. i didnt wanna drive it home, so i had it towed. its been sitting in my driveway ever since, cause i dont wanna drive it in this condition.

so i replaced the busted radiator on saturday, cause it cracked from the friggin pressure, and i simply idle it and gets as hot as a mofo...no cooling seems to be done.
Water pump - have you tested it? :eyebrow:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
catbert said:
Water pump - have you tested it? :eyebrow:
i thought it may be that...but no i havent, i dont know how to take it out (consults chilton manual). ok so ill replace it today/tomorrw, cause a rebuilt one is only 20bux at kragen. even if it works, a new waterpump cant hurt...right? unles...ITS NOT THE WATER PUMP!??!?!

thnx

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, it can be burned headgasket. Driving with no coolant did only more bad to the engine also.
But last time, when you tried it - is there pressure in cooling system?
If yes, then its time to change headgaskets :crying2:
And how about engine oil? Is it clean or oil/coolant mix?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vanaisa said:
Well, it can be burned headgasket. Driving with no coolant did only more bad to the engine also.
But last time, when you tried it - is there pressure in cooling system?
If yes, then its time to change headgaskets :crying2:
And how about engine oil? Is it clean or oil/coolant mix?
well, as i was replacing the radiator, and removing the coolant lines, a lot of oil fell on the ground from the cooler lines. i took some of the slightly used oil and smudged the top of the headers with it (ill tell ya why...). when i was done with everything, i added some oil to compensate for the lost oil, and fired up the car. the oil on the headers simply burned (that somke can get to you, be careful) as the car warmed up, it didnt sizzle, indicating that there was no water/coolant in the combustion chamber. im still no doubting the burned headgasket part though...

when i spun the radiator cap half way (when the car overheated each time) the was a SHITLOAD of pressure released in the overflow chamber (along with a trumpet sound). it still does that now as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
In this radiator must be transmission fluid cooling line, so this oil can be from this system...
But high pressure in coolant system = burnt head gasket.
And as you overheated this engine - cylinder heads can be warped too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
so what can i do/test to confirm what the prob is? compression test?

also the car is misfiring...i think that what cause all of this crap.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Best way of course - take off heads.
Maybe pressure test tells truth too, but i am not sure about this.
I am sure someone here can help you more with this problem....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You could take it in and have it checked........ An independent shop would have some tools to test it.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
elwesso