Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of gas on the freewway today and rolled off to a smaller street. after getting gas in it it doesnt run right at all...reving the motor in neutral or park is fine, but when in gear as soon as i go to accelarate it sort of bogs down to almost stalling , it even feels like the car loses momentem till i take my foot off the gas, if i put the gas down too far in w.e gear ill hear a pop then a small puff of white smoke from under the hood. Also while trying to look for a problem it looked like there was fluid coming from around the waterpump but the fluid doesnt smell like coolant and it hasnt told me its overheating. Please help thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
The fuel pump is cooled by fuel. I suspect you fried it. Get a gauge on it and see what kind of pressure you have. Hard to say about the leak with what you have given.

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, well i talked to a mechanic freind he said ho doesnt think its the pump because i get pressure at idle and park and can rev fine but when under load (drive) it has the problem,..so he said it could be clogged lines whcih i was thinking a little bit. The car also has trouble starting sometimes, but other times will turn over like a brand new car. Do you think this could possibly be the problem? im going to repalce the filters today and add some of this blue devil coolant leak sealant because it looks like the coolant is coming from the gasket under the waterpump...its supposed to be a 100% money back guarentee.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,042 Posts
Be very careful about what you pour into the coolant surge tank: it is a low-flow unit and the lower supply hose to the main system tends to clog with additives.

GM only recommends their additive be placed in the lower radiator hose during a coolant change - not in the tank.

Pump pressure at idle should be around 40+ lbs. I think the running spec is around 43-47.

Is this engine a 4.6 Northstar or a 4.9 pushrod OHV ?? It makes a BIG difference.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
ok, well i talked to a mechanic freind he said ho doesnt think its the pump because i get pressure at idle and park and can rev fine but when under load (drive) it has the problem,
Ahh, you didn't say that at first. Sounds more like a coil breaking down under load.

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i didnt actually test for pressure but it ran fine so i assumed thre must be pressure,...... also,...when a fuel pump goes does it completely go? or can it run less effecient or w.e because when i turn to koeo i can hear it prime,....and what do you mean by coil?? like in coil packs?... Sorry i wish i could give beter info,...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
Fuel pumps can go either way. They can just up and die or run, but put out low pressure. The 4.9 does not have a "coil pack". It has a single coil in the cap if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
4.9 is a songle coil cap setup

its not the pump if you can rev out fine when in park/neutral...it would lose pressure either way.

likewise it cant be a clogged line.....if you are getting the full pedal when idling.

I would look into a fuel filter first and formost. I had one that my car was running just fine...shut car off and it wouldnt start again....everybody in the world said timing belt...exspensive right? yea...$15 filter and 15 minutes of my time and car ran for another 2 years just fine.

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so today hopefully ill finally be able to do the fuel filter after work, but i had a couple more questions before i dive in. First, where exactly is the fuel filter located its a 94 sdv with the 4.9. I saw what looks like a fuel filter in my front passanger side corner behind the bumper, is this it? What will i need to do before to bleed off fuel pressure? And i hear there is that fuel filter and one under the throttle body, is this true?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
Find the fuel rail on the motor and look for the schreader valve on it. Looks just like a tire valve. Bleed it down just like letting the air out of a tire, but hold a rag over it. Then follow the fuel line to the filter. I think it might have a quick disconnect, but not sure.

·
Registered
Cadillac Sedan Deville
18 Posts
4.9 is a songle coil cap setup

its not the pump if you can rev out fine when in park/neutral...it would lose pressure either way.

likewise it cant be a clogged line.....if you are getting the full pedal when idling.

I would look into a fuel filter first and formost. I had one that my car was running just fine...shut car off and it wouldnt start again....everybody in the world said timing belt...exspensive right? yea...$15 filter and 15 minutes of my time and car ran for another 2 years just fine.
Filter Filter Filter! Trust me on this one. mine ran out of gas and it would run with a small miss and buck and stumble around 55. changed the filter and all problems went away. just try it.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
... after getting gas in it it doesnt run right at all...thanks in advance
Symptoms indicate you may have purchased some "bad gas". Ethanol can get contaminated with too much water if not stored properly. Try adding some gas dryer like "Heet" or 99% Isopropyl alcohol to your tank. for the $2 it costs for 12-16 oz, worth a try.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I saw what looks like a fuel filter in my front passanger side corner behind the bumper, is this it? What will i need to do before to bleed off fuel pressure? And i hear there is that fuel filter and one under the throttle body, is this true?
There is only one fuel filter where the fuel lines travel along on the passenger side chassis. car should be raised up to access it easily. It has the quick disconnects, squeeze the tabs on the male end connector and pull apart AFTER relieving the fuel pressure according to Ranger of course. should wear safety goggle if possible.

·
Registered
1994 cadillac deville
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok,... so i did my fuel filter today, didnt change anything car still wont run,...i can start it for a second if i turn the key on a few times but it just dies after a second or 2... my fuel filter is on the driverside. So im guessing its the pump, so do i have to also do the sending unit?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
Don't just change the pump without checking the pressure. Wouldn't you be pissed if you dropped the tank, went through all that work and expense and it still does not run.

·
Registered
759 Posts
So first the car was not running right, now it's not running at ALL? You did check for spark, right? I had the Dist. control module just up and die on me and threw me in such confusion, I actually started a thread. Car ran perfect, got me home, then 2 days later, I go to take a ride and "NO SPARK, no start". It was like out of the clear blue sky. come to find out this is a common failure on the 4.9L's

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Constantly amazes me that people are willing to "guess" with their time and money rather than do a logical diagnosis? Test the fuel pressure and volume 1st, its either correct or not. Report back with the pressure readings.

·
Registered
759 Posts
ok,... my fuel filter is on the driverside.
sO... this means you have the Deville Concourse 4.6 Northstar engine which has the fuel filter on the driver's side. the 4.9 the fuel filter is on the passenger side. That changes everything so, I retract all my advice regarding everything I posted here. IDK a thing about the Northstar Ignition or fuel pump system. Sorry for the misunderstanding. thought you had the Sedan 4.9L engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts