Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a 96 Cadillac Deville, and I am havin problems with the anti theft system. It says "Car may not restart due to anti theft" Is there a way to bypass this for the moment? I had a lock smith come and he taped up th two wires but we had no luck. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
133 Posts
Is your key worn out? If the car cannot read the resistance in the little black pettet in the key it could cause problems... if you have a spare key try it. Don't think you can bypass it except to find the wires for that part the measures the resistance when you insert the key and put a resistor inline that matches the resistance of you key. Better off having it checked by a competant mechanic instead though before you end up stranded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problem. What did you do to fix it?
Seems like if its a pass key problem the car would not start, right?
thanks

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The most common failure by far is the ignition cylinder wires breaking inside the steering column. Sometimes they break inside the insulation which gives you an intermittent concern that can get worse when moving the cylinder or when it's in a certain position.

The repair is to replace the VATS ignition cylinder and have them cut you two new keys that match the pellet in your old key. That way you have a new key and a spare key.
It takes a couple of hours and a few special tools that most guys don't have.
I'd recommend having it done by someone who is good with steering columns. It doesn't take tons of skill but a novice can leave stuff out or break stuff. Have them replace the horn contact/cancel cam also.
The one you have will either break or is already broken so you might as well ask for it up front.

HTH

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
244 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing (1997) Any idea what the dealer might charge? Maybe better to have it bypassed at a place that installs remote starters??
Let me know before I get it towed in for a $600 repair bill.

·
Registered
196 Posts
mine does the same thing, i have a 96 deville, im thinkin the wires r strecthed like everyone said because if i jiggle the ignition real hard when its givin me problems it will start

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I think the keys retail for about 60 bucks a piece. The lock cylinder is about the same.
I usually charge 2.5 hours at our labor rate, call and ask your shop what theirs is. They might charge more or less depending on who does the job.
I think here that adds up to about $350.
There are places that will do it for less, it requires a little know how and some special tools. It's not that hard but I have seen lots of guys screw some things up in there.

I think the horn contact/cancel cam is less than 20 dollars, and I highly recommend replacing that at the same time. Like I said before, they are usually already broken, but doing the lock cylinder will finish them off.
When you remove the horn pad/air bag they usually finish breaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts