Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
CTSV, Denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a lift in their garage for the V? show some photos, I am looking for a 4 post lift.
pictures please!!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,171 Posts
I'm also making plans for one in my next house, unless I have a bigger garage. My wife has accepted this as fact, so the battle is over!

·
Registered
CTSV, Denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to the people that have a lift. we are doing a new driveway and to help with the grading the guy suggested raising the height about 4-5" from curb to the garage and having a step down into garage. my first thought was how dump. but the more i think ab out it the more i like it.

what do you think about having the garage pad sit 4-5" lower than the driveway so when the lift is in the down position i can ride straight up to it?

this is an idea in my head. it saves the cost of redoing the concrete in the garage and its useful for a lift.

whats your opinion?

·
Registered
09 CTS-V Sedan
112 Posts
The type of lift you get will likely be dictated on the height of your ceiling. Measure your ceiling and starting shopping that way. I have a Greg Smith 2 post, but they have 4 post also. Not top of the line, but affordable for a homeowner. I happen to have 14+ ceilings in my garage , so I got the widest, tallest 10k pound lift they had. Been VERY happy with it and almost ALWAYS have something on it, not always mine...

·
Registered
CTSV, Denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would make sure that if any water gets in the garage it has a way to be drained out.
they are adding a small dry well with a water basin in front of the garage to catch the water before it head to the garage.

----------

The type of lift you get will likely be dictated on the height of your ceiling. Measure your ceiling and starting shopping that way. I have a Greg Smith 2 post, but they have 4 post also. Not top of the line, but affordable for a homeowner. I happen to have 14+ ceilings in my garage , so I got the widest, tallest 10k pound lift they had. Been VERY happy with it and almost ALWAYS have something on it, not always mine...
i also have to raise the roof. considering 1. tearing the roof and rebuilding a taller wall and roof. or 2. installing the lift, cut the bottom plate around the perimeter and using the 4 post lift to raise the roof to the desired height, then add pre-built knee walls and drop the roof onto it.
i will video tape this for sure.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V Sedan
112 Posts
How do you do a brake job, or suspension work with a drive on lift ?
I think most 4 post lifts have a add-on feature of a "jack" trolley that can lift the car while it is on the 4 post lift. Or you can lower the car onto jack stands...not so handy, which is why I prefer my 2 post, but I get that some people can't fit a 2 post...

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
I think most 4 post lifts have a add-on feature of a "jack" trolley that can lift the car while it is on the 4 post lift. Or you can lower the car onto jack stands...not so handy, which is why I prefer my 2 post, but I get that some people can't fit a 2 post...
Why wouldn't a 2 post fit? Please explain, as I am seriously considering a lift.

·
Registered
2018 ATS-V Sedan
53 Posts
to the people that have a lift. we are doing a new driveway and to help with the grading the guy suggested raising the height about 4-5" from curb to the garage and having a step down into garage. my first thought was how dump. but the more i think ab out it the more i like it.

what do you think about having the garage pad sit 4-5" lower than the driveway so when the lift is in the down position i can ride straight up to it?

this is an idea in my head. it saves the cost of redoing the concrete in the garage and its useful for a lift.

whats your opinion?
I'm not an expert on building codes, but I don't think that would be allowed in my town. I believe that garage floors are typically sloped towards the door so that flammable liquids and fumes will flow out. A dropped floor in the garage would not allow liquids to flow out.

·
Registered
CTSV, Denali
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 post vs 4 post to me is answered as a simple question.
Is the main purpose to work on the car and have full access? = 2 post lift

or
is the main purpose the ability to stack a car on top of another?

Imagine every time you pull in you have to crawl on your hands and knees to position the arms. a 4 post lift you drive right on.

my garage is so tight i wouldn't have much room to work on the car anyway. but if you wanted to they have an option that will jack one side up

----------

I'm not an expert on building codes, but I don't think that would be allowed in my town. I believe that garage floors are typically sloped towards the door so that flammable liquids and fumes will flow out. A dropped floor in the garage would not allow liquids to flow out.
whats a building code? just kidding.

This is just planning stage. I was more worried about the permits to raise the roof.

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
Sorry for being so late.

I chose a 4 Post Lift because it seems to provide the functionality of both types, among other reasons.

For example, to do brake work I usually:

1.) Place a 4 by 4 spanning at least past the jack pads on the coupe.
- placed on the lift, under the car.
2.) Lower the lift, 4 by 4 onto jack stands, to suspend the car above the lift.
3.) Place blocks on the lift, under the 4 by 4.
4.) Raise the lift.

Using two 4 by 4s and four blocks results in the entire car suspended above the lift.

The 4 by 4s that I use, actually have blocks fastened at the jack pads. Those blocks provide additional clearance between the 4 by 4 and underside of the car.

I often store my V, with wheels off positioning the rotors an inch or two above the lift. That reduces the "head room" required as well as flat spots on the tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts