Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple posts about my oil light coming on but now I think the situation got worse.. I can pretty much only drive the car like a couple mins and then the service soon and stop engine light will come on. The "stop/check oil will come on only when the car is in gear and at a light or stop sign. After a couple mins the car will vibrate a lot at a standstill in gear and then turn itself off. I will try to start it but the engine wont start.. the starter will work but the motor wont turn over. After a few mins I'll try and start it again but I have to pump the accelerator alot to get it started. The fluid and oil levels are fine! What could this be? Its on a 87 deville 4.1 v8 with only 72k original miles. The car is grounded till I find out what it is cause it'll only run a few mins till the lights come on and it kills itself! Thanks for ANY help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
Did You Check The Oil Pressure With A Manual Gauge As Requested? Oil Lite Has Nothing To Do With Oil Level. It Reacts To Low Pressure. The Oil Pressure Sender At The Oil Filter Will Also Turn Off The Electric Fuel Pump If It Sees Low Pressure To Protect The Engine. Please Verify Normal Pressure, If Ok. Replace Sender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Does it mean "low oil pressure" is indicated whenever the engine
is idling, producing the minimum amount of power?

Maybe the oil pump is almost dead so when the engine is under
load while idling, the pump just can't give enough pressure...
If the situation is reproduced when you turn the steering all the way
or turn AC on, what I suggested may be the case.

As carnut suggested, you may want to check the oil pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Bobby C 01TA said:
I have a couple posts about my oil light coming on but now I think the situation got worse.. I can pretty much only drive the car like a couple mins and then the service soon and stop engine light will come on. The "stop/check oil will come on only when the car is in gear and at a light or stop sign. After a couple mins the car will vibrate a lot at a standstill in gear and then turn itself off. I will try to start it but the engine wont start.. the starter will work but the motor wont turn over. After a few mins I'll try and start it again but I have to pump the accelerator alot to get it started. The fluid and oil levels are fine! What could this be? Its on a 87 deville 4.1 v8 with only 72k original miles. The car is grounded till I find out what it is cause it'll only run a few mins till the lights come on and it kills itself! Thanks for ANY help

Bobby,
I had almost the exact same issue with my 83 El Dorado,,,after much research we found that the oil screen was dirty, when the engine was cold, it would start and run like new for about 5 minute, then it would shake, rattle and knock like a Jehovah's Witness in an apartment complex...what was happening was that the oil would warm up the screen would clog and no oil was making it to the engine..once the screen was clean it has never happened again...

Kerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ElDiablo83 said:
Bobby,
I had almost the exact same issue with my 83 El Dorado,,,after much research we found that the oil screen was dirty, when the engine was cold, it would start and run like new for about 5 minute, then it would shake, rattle and knock like a Jehovah's Witness in an apartment complex...what was happening was that the oil would warm up the screen would clog and no oil was making it to the engine..once the screen was clean it has never happened again...

Kerry
carnut.. i havent found anyone to mechanically check the pressure as of yet but I am working on it!

If it is the oil pump going out, how much is the damage on parts and labor at a independent auto shop.. and where is the "oil screen" located on this car? Also where and what is the "sender".. I'm not very familiar with this car cause my parents always drove it and I always worked on my toyota. Thanks for the replies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
The Oil Sender Is Located At The Oil Filter Adaptor. Order One From A Napa Dealer, Then You Will Know What It Looks Like. I'm A Little Nervous Explaining Repairs Which I Believe Are Serious T0 Someone That Doesn't Understand The Names. The Oil Screen Is Inside The Engine Attached To The Oil Pump. Please Have This Car Checked By A Trusted Mechanic. Do Not Drive It There, Tow It! Please Post Final Diagnosis On This Thread To Help Us All!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
el diablo.. how much did it cost to get the screen fixed or how hard was it to do? I know that carnut said its by the oil pump so that right there sounds like work! But I'm willing to take it apart if I know what to look for. Is there any cleaner I can run through the motor to clean out the oil screen? I have a toyota mr2 and my sister has a tercel and i can do starters alternators, plugs, wires.,,, and even the timing belt but on domestics it seems different.. I am going to have my mechanic check it out as soon as he'snot swamped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Bobby C 01TA said:
el diablo.. how much did it cost to get the screen fixed or how hard was it to do? I know that carnut said its by the oil pump so that right there sounds like work! But I'm willing to take it apart if I know what to look for. Is there any cleaner I can run through the motor to clean out the oil screen? I have a toyota mr2 and my sister has a tercel and i can do starters alternators, plugs, wires.,,, and even the timing belt but on domestics it seems different.. I am going to have my mechanic check it out as soon as he'snot swamped
Bobby,
I had this done by a mechanic that I have known for 20+ years,,I had a lot of other things done at the same time so I am not sure exactly what it cost,, I think maybe 250 - 300 bucks, I had a right axle replaced at the same time and some minor things..total was about 725.00,,,you may be able to tell if it is something that you can do by checking in a Haynes manual...I got my manual after the fact...hope this helps...
Kerry,
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ElDiablo83 said:
Bobby,
I had this done by a mechanic that I have known for 20+ years,,I had a lot of other things done at the same time so I am not sure exactly what it cost,, I think maybe 250 - 300 bucks, I had a right axle replaced at the same time and some minor things..total was about 725.00,,,you may be able to tell if it is something that you can do by checking in a Haynes manual...I got my manual after the fact...hope this helps...
Kerry,
[email protected]

cool thanks Kerry! My mechanic said it might not even be a oil related problem and might be fuel related like the fuel filter/ fuel pump.. which sounds pretty logical as well. Hopefully I wont have to spend 725 bucks though lol.. thanks again!

Bobby
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
Bobby C 01TA
Top