Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i got a 96 fleetwood and i was cleaning my car in the driveway while it was running then about 10 minutes it cut off on me? I started it back up and came on but seemed like it was a struggle running like it was clunking or starving of fuel???then it cut off again and now wont come on at all but will start. Any clues??? Heres a video of what im talking about please take a look and listen to it and telk me your input? Streamable Video

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,277 Posts
Something is clunking in the engine department. Have you looked under the hood? Was the car shaking? My guess is that your fuel gauge is not accurate and you just ran out of gas. Add a couple of gallons and see if it fixes the problem.

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Superior Coach Hearse Conversion
120 Posts
Did you get any codes? First I'd check fuel pressure if it was running fine and now it is acting that way. That is the easiest thing to check but you need a fuel pressure gauge. It should be somewhere around 47 PSI running. You could have a fuel pressure regulator issue but that sounds like mine did when it was starving for fuel. Looks like you have 130K on the clock and it is 24 years old. If that is the original pump, it isn't hard to change but you do have to drop the tank. If you need to drop the tank, unhook the 3 lines going to the tank (be gentle with them) before dropping it. Two of them have those spring compression fittings and one is a vapor return line. You'll need those fuel line release tools to get those free. If you don't remove them first, you stand a chance of bending or breaking the lines going into the assembly going into the tank, especially if the lines are rusty. Aside from that the pumps are relatively cheap and I suggest going back with a Delphi one like the original.

Reactions: 84 fleetwood coupe

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
120 Posts
Something is clunking in the engine department. Have you looked under the hood?
Sounds like it is dieseling. Remember back in the day when GM cars did this after you shut off the switch?

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,277 Posts
Could be a failing fuel pump, but most likey just inaccurate fuel gauge and no gas. Just in case it is indeed fuel pump, do not add more than a gallon of gas, so it would be easier to drop the tank if needed. Let us know.

·
1996 Fleetwood hearse
120 Posts
Could be a failing fuel pump, but most likey just inaccurate fuel gauge and no gas. Just in case it is indeed fuel pump, do not add more than a gallon of gas, so it would be easier to drop the tank if needed. Let us know.
Yep and mine was replaced and the person who did it, forgot to tighten the clamp on the hose going to the metal line. I heard that these lines also split which would not let enough fuel to the engine for it to run properly. You are correct about putting a gallon or so in the tank for testing. At 8 pounds per gallon, too much and the tank becomes fun to handle if you have to remove it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something is clunking in the engine department. Have you looked under the hood? Was the car shaking? My guess is that your fuel gauge is not accurate and you just ran out of gas. Add a couple of gallons and see if it fixes the problem.
Was not shaking but that would be crazy if i just ran out of gas! And my gas guage is wayyy off lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get any codes? First I'd check fuel pressure if it was running fine and now it is acting that way. That is the easiest thing to check but you need a fuel pressure gauge. It should be somewhere around 47 PSI running. You could have a fuel pressure regulator issue but that sounds like mine did when it was starving for fuel. Looks like you have 130K on the clock and it is 24 years old. If that is the original pump, it isn't hard to change but you do have to drop the tank. If you need to drop the tank, unhook the 3 lines going to the tank (be gentle with them) before dropping it. Two of them have those spring compression fittings and one is a vapor return line. You'll need those fuel line release tools to get those free. If you don't remove them first, you stand a chance of bending or breaking the lines going into the assembly going into the tank, especially if the lines are rusty. Aside from that the pumps are relatively cheap and I suggest going back with a Delphi one like the original.
So if i was to drop the tank unhook the lines first? I thought you have to drop the tank to get to the lines?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aint there a fuel pump wire up front by the fuse box that tou can supply 12 volts to see if the pump is working????

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,277 Posts
So if i was to drop the tank unhook the lines first? I thought you have to drop the tank to get to the lines?
First disconnect the lines. It is not always fun if you do not have right tools. I would not bother replacing fuel pump and gauge just because if the gauge. Wait for the pump die. ))) Just reset odometer every time you fill up and monitor the milage.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,575 Posts
I have had these symtoms before and turned out to be the coil. These coils are very cheap and if was me I would change it just to rule it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up taking the icm to get it checked at autozone and they said it wasnt even getting hot and its no good. So in search of a new ac delco icm

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
You'll discover that the "AC Delco" replacements are made by any of over a half-dozen suppliers, both foreign and domestic. Read the packaging fine print .............

Here's the packaging for an "AC Delco" fuel pressure regulator ........... zoom in on the "Made in ........" print.

FPR-Bosch-Germany.JPG

1 - 20 of 35 Posts