Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: :want: :rant2: :crybaby:

That was me last night when I attempted to start the V. My seat would not even move into the right position. No lights, nothing. So I pull my Avalanche around for a jump and she starts right up. I let it idle for a while, 10-15 minutes, and shut her off. You can guess next. No start. So I jumped her, I said jumped her, a second time and contacted onstar for a diagnostic. Everything okay so they suggested roadside assistance.

Crestview Cadillac, which is rated a big huge #2 in the FAQ! is coming. After discussing the situation with the tech he said it would take two hours to get here. I am really hoping they don't tow my car two hours to West Covina? This should be interesting. I told him I had to jump it so I hope that isn't the only thing he does. I recommended a new battery.

This is the first problem with my V. Looks like the battery only last about two years anyway according to my research in the forums.

Anyone have any opinions on Crestview Cadillac? I have never dealt with them before. The FAQ opinion stated they "sucked". But sucked on exactly what was not specified.

Rock:alchi:

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
I had an issue where the overhead slider interiror light switch went bad. If you had it just below 'lights turned on' (i.e. gauages etc. as bright as they will go, w/o overhead light comming on), the circuit was somehow complete, but the overhead light wasn't. Thus is was draining the battery, but there was no visual sign to determine that was the issue.

The part ended up being backordered due to demand (gak), so I drove around a few weeks, with the dimmer in the middle positition. No big deal.

Should I submit this to GM as my 'Cadillac Story'? :alchi:

-Chris

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
That is what I am getting. It's just never happened to me before and so sudden without warning.
Yep, the last few batteries I have lost died the same way without warning. Must be something with the way batteries are made now or something.

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the post on the slider switch and its position and believe me, it was the first thing I checked. It was in the middle so that wasn't the problem. Really just sounds like the battery gave up. Build date on my car was Jan 5th, 2005. Two years on ownership and this has been it for problems. Bad Battery. I can live with that.

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Car is dead... Good Trickle Chargers??????

:drink2: And now that is me after Roadside Service (Crestview Cadillac) just replaced my battery. Glen (tech) told me to have the charging system checked just in case, but most likely the battery just went south.

He also said if the car sits for more than 14 days, the battery should be on a trickle charger. Any good Trickle Chargers out there and where??????

·
Registered
Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V
566 Posts
The '04's had a bad run of batteries from the factory. Over the years I read enough posts to say that the V has a propensity for sucking juice, even when asleep. I sometimes store the car in the garage for months at a time and the battery went south on several occasions.
The answer is put an Optima (six pack) battery in and/or plug the battery up to a “BatteryTender”. This device is made to maintain the charge on the battery. When it reaches optimal voltage it goes into a float mode preventing the plates from deteriorating. I've used one for over two years and no more DEAD battery even after a 4 month storage….your V will thank you.:thumbsup:

PS: One model is sold with a quick detach plug.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
89 Posts
Hey Rock,

Time to get an Optima. Although, I've read in the Forum that you have to cut some small holes in the hood (inner) to allow the top posts to poke through. Plus my company makes the Optima's!!! :thumbsup:

- Rock :bouncy:

·
Registered
Nada
2,053 Posts
My lasted less than a year so you did better than me. I didn't even fool with the AC Delco ones again, just went straight to an Everstart Maxx.

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard the optima red top is the one for our car. Maybe Rockafella would be able to produce a part # since his company makes them. I could not find one on the Optima web site. For now I will find a battery tender with a quick release. I have quick releases on all my motorcycles and it works great. Like Oldroadog told me, "Your V is a Garage Queen."

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
There is no OPTIMA that will directly replace the battery.:mad:

If you saw off the posts, some members have made them fit.

If you saw too much of the post off, the battery is junk though.:tisk:

Also drilling a 1" hole in the hood that interfers has been done.:eek:

I posted info a while back on a non OPTIMA replacement that does fit as (thanks again GM) our cars use a new class of battery.

·
Registered
05CTS V
195 Posts
Many 04s and early 05s came with a defective "sleeper module". It was the subject of several threads in Febuary & March of 05. Many batteries were changed only to find that the overhead dimmer switch failed to go into full sleep mode and drained the battery. If you continue to have this problem take in to the dealer and get the switch changed. There is a copy of the TSO in the technical Archive section. I have had no problems with my battery since March 05.....

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Today's cars (over the past 20 years) have a parasitic effect on the battery. Historical problem with AC Delco. Once the AC Delco goes completely dead, it will not take a full charge. It is dealer's obligation to start up its cars on lot so that they do not go completely dead. If dealer cannot show that he starts cars regularly, GM will not replace batteries. (As soon as dealer puts in a handful of claims for batteries, the word is out.)

Whether that same problem happens today is up for conjecture.

Consumer guide says that Walmart batteries numbered with a "S" also have high failure rates. Problem is the heat in the south. "N" batteries do not fail in heat. I am not sure how well N batteries hold in up north. (My son read the article, not I.)

Buy a brand with a good long warranty.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Like Oldroadog told me, "Your V is a Garage Queen."
Well.. it is a 'garage queen':histeric:
But actually Rock, SoCal desert + 2 yrs (maybe a little more) = dead battery.
Never had a battery last longer than that. Underhood heat just kills them when it is over 100 degrees every day from May through Sept.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
89 Posts
There is no OPTIMA that will directly replace the battery.:mad:

If you saw off the posts, some members have made them fit.

If you saw too much of the post off, the battery is junk though.:tisk:

Also drilling a 1" hole in the hood that interfers has been done.:eek:

I posted info a while back on a non OPTIMA replacement that does fit as (thanks again GM) our cars use a new class of battery.

:yeah:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts