Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week my 98 sls has died on three separate occasions whenever im rolling into a stoplight and start to brake, or when im at a stop sign. Whatever the case it happens when i start to slow down. Now my main concern is what could be causing this? I was thinking alternator but im not sure. It is very cold where i live so i try to warm up my car before i drive it. Also whenever i start my car i hear a loud whinning sound from under the hood. I noticed that it was comming from somewhere around the belt area on the left side of the engine. So if anyone could help me i would appreciate it alot.

·
Registered
none :-(
282 Posts
My previous (non-Cadillac) car also died when I was starting to brake (so I had to brake with one foot and keep engine idling with other feed on the gas pedal) and it was due to faulty idle stepper motor.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts
The loud whining noise might be a bad bearing on one of the drive belt accessories draging the RPM's down to a stall condition. You need to locate that whine first.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, idler pulley, tensioner pulley.

Water pump is on opposite side of engine.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
The obvious answer is: Don't slow down! :p

Actually, the whining may be related. Cars today run off of the alternator, not the battery. If something is wrong with it or the drive belt, you will stall out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So should i take it to my local mechanic to get his opinion? I just dont want to have my car die with single digit temps outside.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
deftonez99 said:
So should i take it to my local mechanic to get his opinion? I just dont want to have my car die with single digit temps outside.
What other options do you have? Another ride until you can fix it yourself? You are right, it's too cold to get stuck somewhere. You may just have to pay the Man to fix it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so i took my car to this local mechanic and he told me it could be an idler puller or a tensioner pully. He said it would be ok to drive until sat so he can try to fix it. But he also told me that it has nothing to do with the car dieing when im driving it. So do you think it will be ok to drive for a few days???

·
Registered
1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 CTS-V, 2001 STS, 2007 STS V8
440 Posts
my 00 sls kept dieing and I cleaned the throttle body 2 days ago and it hasnt died yet. I have noticed a 200rpm increase at idle also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts