Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2008 STS I tried to match the tire pressure sensors using the directions in the owners manual by letting out air from the first tire but the horn doesn't chirp. What could be preventing the car from reading the sensor? Four wheels and tires were switched from a 2009 STS.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,385 Posts
Always the possibility the TPMS batteries are almost dead ...........

Does the later "STS" still use the magnet to get into relearn?

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owners manual says to let some air out or put some in while in the learn mode. What tool are you referring to?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
724 Posts
You do not need the tool, but if you go to discount tire they can sort it out (for free, usually). Otherwise the batteries are dying or the units are bad. You can do it yourself though.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,902 Posts
The tool he refers to is a TPMS pairing tool. Like an Autmel, or one of the $20 cheapos off amazon. Lots easier than the air out method

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,985 Posts
I found a Kent-Moore J 46079 TPMS analyzer on Ebay. It's the cat's meow TPMS tool. Besides "learning" the sensors it also simulates sensors for testing the TPMS receiver. The magnet resetting deal is way old and unlikely to work on anything newer that 2004.

·
Registered
2005 STS V-8 1SF Magneride HUD/ACC, 2008 Escalade ESV 1SZ Y91 Luxury Edition
1,444 Posts
As Jay asked, are you sure it's in learn mode? You may have to let quite a bit of air out before the chirp, but it's always worked for me and I change between summer and winter wheels every year.

Edit - If the "new" wheels have the original sensors, the batteries are probably dead. 10 year life is rule of thumb.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I let out enough air for the pressure to go from 32 psi to 12 psi, I think it's in learn mode because the horn chirped and the dispay asked for the LF tire. I also tried the RF tire first to see if the LF sensor was bad and that did't learn either. I'll try again tomorrow letting out more air and start with the rears to see if they learn. These wheels and sensors came from a 2009 STS with lower miles and the sensors worked on that car last fall.

·
Registered
'08 Cadillac STS Northstar 4.6 RWD
18 Posts
Just to throw this in. I was not able to pair 09 part # sensors with my 08. I tried the releasing air method multiple times, I also took it to discount tire and they tried to use their tool with no luck.
It doesn't make sense to me that they would have changed something in 09, rather than 08, or even 07 when the actual major-ish changes came around, but I guess they did.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the part numbers for 2008 and 2009 and they came up the same. I took the car to a Mavis and after trying with no luck they said the tool they use doesn't work with the factory sensors. I'm taking it to a Cadillac dealer tomorrow, I read that new sensors have to be recognized with a Tech 2 then the learn procedure will work.

·
Registered
'08 Cadillac STS Northstar 4.6 RWD
18 Posts
If you're referring to the tpms171k, and 175k those do show to work for both years, which is why I thought the ac delco 13598771 would work, but it didn't for me. 08 calls for 25758220. Let me know if you have luck at the caddy dealer. I'd love to get the ones already installed in my snow tires to work.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,873 Posts
"I read that new sensors have to be recognized with a Tech 2 then the learn procedure will work."

That's so much BS. You just need the right frequency sensors

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,873 Posts
PS: You also need the GM Relearn tool

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dealer tried and couldn't learn the sensors after two hours of trying and charged $75. It appears that 2009 sensors are different from 2008 sensors and can't be programmed to a 2008 car, thanks Cadillac for changing the design. The transmitting frequency might be different as 315Mhz vs 433 Mhz, some sensors on e-bay are dual frequency and list both frequencies. I ordered a set from Rock auto for $200 that will program using the car procedure, they'll go in the glove box for the new owner to install after the car is sold.

·
Registered
2008 STS-V, 2008 STS AWD
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just for reference, I had the sensors changed at Mavis for $65 today and all four learned fast with only 2 PSI of air let out. The ones ordered from Rock Auto for a 2008 were Standard Motor Products # TPM30A ($48.79 ea) which is a different part number than the one shown for a 2009.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts