Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 2015 ATS Coupe AWD today - drove it home ~300 miles and no problems whatsoever. But for some reason the car alarm has gone off twice.. Just sitting in my driveway and the panic goes off. The car then tells me something along the lines of "theft attempted" in the gauge cluster when I start it up.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or know what could be causing it? Hoping it doesn't keep happening through the night

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,704 Posts
Does your ATS have the additional RPO UTR alarm system that was included with some of the packages? If so it has a tilt/inclination sensor and a separate alarm annunciator that is intended to go off it part of the chassis is lifted. If it does have option UTR, add that to your list of a possible failure mode.

I don't believe that the ATS has internal motion sensing as part of its alarm options which creates additional failure modes.

Rodger

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had figured it was probably something along the lines of a door/hood/trunk switch. After the second alarm I left it unlocked all night so I could deal with it in the morning and not wake the neighborhood, I changed the batteries in both key fobs (this thread suggested it and the car was telling me at least one was low) and made sure everything was properly closed. Seems to have fixed it for now as I didn't have any issues. I also saw where the rear window defroster could have a bad connection (as this is how the alarm detects glass breakage) so if it happens again that's next on my list to check.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might have a defective switch in the trunk, hood, or one of the doors.
Any idea of a good way to check which sensor/switch is bad? It just happened twice again today. I'm betting on the hood but don't have a good way to check which switch is faulty without being in the car while it's malfunctioning and getting a door ajar warning

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS
145 Posts
You're going to have to bite the bullet and have the car connected to a scanner that covers all of the sensors, the dealership would have one. With so many possibilities this is the only way to do it right.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,704 Posts
You can try lightly "jiggling" the doors, trunk, and hood while the alarm is set and this may help you identify where the fault lies. Given the intermittent nature, I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is with a connector and if it doesn't respond to mechanical excitation given its intermittent nature it could turn into an expensive problem to resolve.

There is a fuse associated with the theft module but it also provides power to the the rain sense wipers and garage door opener; pulling it may be worth a try to see if the car can still be started and run normally until you can run down the problem without having to leave the car unlocked overnight.

If you start looking at sensors, start with the hood and trunk as both are higher probability for failure and subject to adjustment issues with the hood being highest probability as its "fit" and closure changes slightly as the engine cools overnight. I have never had to deal with this specific problem but I doubt if the alarm stores the information for which sensor/switch triggered it and the GM dealer may or may not be able to read which sensor is causing it even when it goes off because the status of those switches and sensors are probably all sent as network traffic over a low speed network bus to the BCM.

Rodger

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're going to have to bite the bullet and have the car connected to a scanner that covers all of the sensors, the dealership would have one. With so many possibilities this is the only way to do it right.
Kind of what I was afraid of. I have to take it to a dealer to get my out-of-state purchase inspection anyways so I'll just ask them if they can do it while I'm there.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I pulled the fuse just as a temporary fix and it's somehow STILL going off.. Now I'm completely baffled. Fuse 32 is the theft system/rain sensing/garage door opener, and yet after pulled my alarm is still going off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts