Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 fleetwood w/ 500cid, 1990 Brougham 'D Elegance 5.7
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 82 Fleetwood. I have heard that some Caprice rearends are direct bolt ins for these cars. Does anyone know any information about this? What year Caprice rearends will fit into this car( if any?). I am looking for a 3.42 posi if possible. Thanks

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Go to Car-Part.com, punch in what you want and it will show you the cars they are finding parts for. I find a lot of info there.

I believe that the 77-96 are all interchangeable. BUT, the 77-83 (or so) models used the Pontiac type "O" rear end 10 bolt 8.875" , and the rest of GM used the 10 bolt 8.5".

It looks like 83 is the changeover year. It lists "round cover" or "cut out cover". Personally? Go with the 8.5". It is fully supported in the aftermarket. The 8.875" isn't supported much at all. Posi's are plentiful in the 8.5", not in the 8.875".

As for upper control arms, less parts are available, but 84-up all use the same upper arm. No parts found for 83 older, so they may interchange, but the parts aren't showing. And less info on lower arms.

Looks like what Katshot said, a trip to a local boneyard to look in the Hollander interchange books.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts