Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Deville 03
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being as tho this torque converter problem is very common, there hads to be someone else in the same situation! The last 3 times I've tried to take the emission test I've pretty much failed because that code is keeping the ses light on! I'll reset it n away the ses light goes for a good 2-3 days! The problem is that the light needs to b off for a min. of a week for the codes to clear for emissions! Someone plz help, I know you all say that the tcc is expensive n my car rides like a champ! I can't tell the difference but emission can lol!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Bend over, you're screwed. The only option (unless you can get a waiver) is a costly repair.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Being as tho this torque converter problem is very common, there hads to be someone else in the same situation! The last 3 times I've tried to take the emission test I've pretty much failed because that code is keeping the ses light on! I'll reset it n away the ses light goes for a good 2-3 days! The problem is that the light needs to b off for a min. of a week for the codes to clear for emissions! Someone plz help, I know you all say that the tcc is expensive n my car rides like a champ! I can't tell the difference but emission can lol!
======================
clearing the code doesn't fix anything -
yes - it will turn the SES light off - TEMPORARILY -
but the problem still exists -

clearing codes sets a "not-ready" flag in the computer -

the car must complete X number of "driving cycles" -
to set the "ready" flag -
in other words -
you can't just drive to the testing center and clear the codes -

there is ONE trick that I have heard that actually does work -
drive around for several days - and DO NOT EXCEED 40mph -

the actual repair requires dropping the trans -
around $2500 to fix -

·
Registered
Deville 03
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm A look into that waiver ! 2500 is a pretty penny to pay! I could put that towards a newer caddy lol...n going under 40 is dang near impossible , even I swapped cars with the mrs. The highway has to be taken for work!

----------

Any info on how difficult it is to obtain a waiver???

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Maryland - You must spend $XXX.XX on attempted repairs, present the receipts to the test station, and then spend more for follow-on emissions testing. If that fails you might qualify for a waiver but there are plenty of strings attached.

I make out - over 70 and less than 7500 miles/year. No testing.

Or, you could move to a non-emissions county.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
835 Posts
I can confirm what Ranger said in post #4 about the "trick" of driving under 40mph not working. At least it did not work on my 02. Kept getting the not ready code, which is an emission test failure. I spent about $1,500 at a good indie transmission shop that had Caddy experience (not one of the chains) to get it fixed. Dealer quoted over $2,500.

I also looked into getting a waiver in CT. Had to show receipts for over $800 that indicated the actual TCC problem was worked on. But $800 would only pay to take the transmission out, not fully fix the TCC and put trans back in. I tried talking to the bureaucrats about this without any luck, so gave in and got it fixed. Catch 22. Maybe you'd have better luck getting a waiver in MD.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
I think the "under 40" trick worked on the older models, pre-2000 maybe.

Waivers are not easily obtained, nor cheap. Now if you had a buddy or family member that owned a shop and would write you up some receipts ...................

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,686 Posts
The problem is that the light needs to b off for a min. of a week for the codes to clear for emissions!
Passing emissions is all about timing and knowing when your car is "ready" for emissions testing in your state. Knowing when your "ready" for testing following clearing the code is the key. I've seen cars be "ready" in much less a week.

With a program such as OBDwiz ($22 on Amazon) along with a laptop you will be able to watch the OBD monitors to see when your car is ready for testing in your state.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-423001-Diagnostic-Compatible-including/dp/B002PYBZJO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1434074332&sr=8-6&keywords=scantool

The software will display when your ready for emissions testing at the bottom of the page based on what state/auto year entered in the drop down menu. Different states have different requirements for completed tests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts