Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to replace the radiator for about 2 weeks now. I bought one on Amazon that was supposed to fit, but the little coupling pieces that connect the metal oil cooler lines to the radiator were too long; the original radiator didn't have these couplers.

I bought a Duralast radiator from AutoZone since it was the only one they have in the system, and it's basically the same setup as the last. It comes with the same couplers that make the lines push back.

The problem seems to be that there's a different metal line just under the serpentine belt (above the bottom passenger side radiator hose) that's restricting the oil cooler line from attaching to the radiator.

The only two options that I can think of right now is to either 1. miraculously find a shorter fitting to make the line sit in place, or 2. replace the metal line with something more flexible if possible.

I really need to make this car run soon, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

EDIT:
This is the fitting I'm having trouble with

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If anyone comes across this post and you're wondering what to do:
I never found any 'good' answers.

Personally, I'll be cutting the metal oil cooler line down probably 1/4" or so (do your own measurements of course) with a hacksaw, dremel, or whatever feels best suited to the job, and using a pipe flaring tool to redo the section I cut.

There are other options, like replacing the lines, possibly finding a new fitting, etc. but this felt less time consuming and more cost-efficient overall. Shop around for flaring tools, because quality and prices can vary. Anyway, radiators aren't built to last, but these oil cooler lines seem like they were - they just don't fit right since Cadillac wanted to be as 'efficient' as possible 🤣 with the part placement in these cars.

Edit: AutoZone loans a flaring tool for $30; you'll get your money back when you're done. This is a great option if you don't plan to use it otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts