Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a basically new Pioneer stereo in my 93 Fleetwood. I ordered what I thought was the right wiring harness adapter, only to find out it wasn't. I tried every local parts/automotive store, even walmart. No one has the right harness. Only one I can find for 93 cadillac fits apparently every model but the Fleetwood. It's a single plug while the one coming out of my dash has two different plugs with no antennae wire. Anyone run into this problem?

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
did the 93 have the amp in the trunk? if so you need to get the plug that goes from the trunk up to the dash...

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it's in the trunk then it's hidden somewhere I can't find it. I was shocked to see that the factory radio didn't have an antennae wire hookup

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Tuner/Amp is in the trunk near the antennae. The wiring has to go from the plugs back there to your Pioneer. It has to totally bypass the tuner/amp in the trunk. It is the same story for all 93-95 Fleetwoods. You also have to get an antennae extension from the trunk to the Pioneer. Whenever I buy an aftermarket radio, I ALWAYS buy from Crutchfield because they include the harness for free. That is worth it for me.

But, when it comes to my Fleetwood, I have taken OUT aftermarket units and converted back to stock.

You do not even use the plugs in the dash when going aftermarket on these. All your adapting happens at one of the two plugs in the trunk. (If I recall). And then runs back to the Pioneer. You have to string a lot of wire from the trunk to the Pioneer .

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, basically picture a normal aftermarket harness. It would plug in between the aftermarket radio and the in dash harness. For 93-95 Fleetwoods it plugs in between the aftermarket radio and the plug in the trunk, so the only real difference is the wires have to be extended this expansive length. And the antennae cable has to be extended too.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I figure it's just easier to keep the stock radio...but can anyone tell me if there's a way to fix the cd player in it? It takes a couple tries for it to accept a cd...then it just won't read the disc (this was a CD-R I burnt and tried, do they take those in 1993 models?). Then if I'm lucky it will eject the cd on the first try...otherwise it just sits there and keeps trying over and over again until the car is turned off

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,670 Posts
So store bought CDs work? I think it might just be the radio unable to read the burnt CDs. I remember when you were first able to record CDs, only about half the CD players would read them. I don't know if you still record CDs but you may have to use a different format to record or something. How many wires are coming out of harness in the back of the radio?

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't tried a store bought cd yet becasue I figured with the way it sounds, what type of cd doesn't matter.

How much do you want for the harness? I'm still not sure I feel like going through the hassle of running it up from the trunk. All I know is the radio stations around here SUCK!

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood & 1993 Chevy C-1500
18 Posts
well I figure it's just easier to keep the stock radio...but can anyone tell me if there's a way to fix the cd player in it? It takes a couple tries for it to accept a cd...then it just won't read the disc (this was a CD-R I burnt and tried, do they take those in 1993 models?). Then if I'm lucky it will eject the cd on the first try...otherwise it just sits there and keeps trying over and over again until the car is turned off
CD-R and CD-RW discs won't work for the same reason they won't in your home stereo of the same vintage. The format is different. You need to burn music onto music CDs - did you try to play MP3s? That Caddy doesn't know what an MP3 is. Put a store bought CD into the deck and see if it will play.

I have fun with my stock radio and broken cassette player. If I find an OEM head with CD I would consider changing it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts