Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 cts 3.6L
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imigine my battery just died all of a sudden, it's four years old, cool weather just came in and the battery would hardly turn over the engine maybe 3 turns and quit. I removed the battery and put it on a electronic controlled charger and after a few hours it's dead as a door nail the message on the charger FO3 or open internal cell replace battery. So I did I bought a new battery turned the key on the dash lights come on but no crank then tried to trurn off and key won't go to off just acessories, shift stuck in park. I tried some suggestions I read. unhooked & reconnected battery, shorted unhooked cables togrther and tried using outside door key to disarm. no luck. then I turned to on position still no start, left on position and removed starter relay in under hood fuse box & jumpered contacts with paper clip. Engine started right up. When I ran it for awhile I turned key off and engine stopped and it let me remove key. I waited 10 minutes put key back in ign turned to start position no crank tried to turn to off and it wouldn,t go past acessories jumpered relay, started engine turned off and removed key. What a deal. I guess it's reading the key if it lets me start it? When I try starting with the key every time you hit start position you can hear a relay click under dash around passenger kick pad but no starter engage. I can see a very expensive t/s repair at the dealer with a tech11. Ray

·
Registered
2004 cts 3.6
2 Posts
Im having the same problems with my CTS, so i sat down and figured the starter relay out.... Pretty much it boiled down to the relay being grounded out to the ignition switch....To insure your having the same problem as me try inserting a wire into the 86(left slot on 3 hole top row ) slot of the relay and
grounding it out to the neg terminal of the battery, plug the relay back in over the wire and the key should work u need to un ground the wire after it starts...if this happens you relay is not being grounded from the ignition switch and the switch needs to be replaced

·
Registered
'04 CTS
8 Posts
On my relay the left on the row of three is labeled 85. The top row reads 85, 87a, 87. The bottom row reads 30, 86. I am confused because that is how it is labeled next to each terminal but on the side of the relay there is a diagram which has 86 directly below 85, and 30 directly below 87a to the far right

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
It's an electronic problem. I think you should try this and see what happens.

For any electronic problem, before spending money at the garage or at the dealers, the first thing to do is to connect a good AUTOMATIC battery charger to your battery and give it a slow charge (10 amps or less) for a long time (the whole night or more) even if your battery is strong enough to crank your engine. I suggest you do that a few nights in a row, to make sure your battery voltage is strong enough to supply your electronic system with a steady voltage higher than 12 volts. If your battery is to old, better spend money on a new one than spending a lot more money on changing the ECM, ECU, or any other electronic device in your car. Most of the problems should be solved. If not, than go to your dealer, but make sure you have a lot of money in your pocket.

Now, if you want to reset the ECU or ECM, here is the good and safe way to do it:

First you,ve got to know that your ignition switch has 4 different positions; "A", "B", "C" and "D".

"A" = fully off (you can pull out your key), "B" = off (you can't pull out your key), "C" = ON (all the lights are ON in you dash board), "D" = cranking position.

1.- Turn the ignition switch to "A" or "B" position if "A" is not possible.

2.- Remove the fuse panel lid. (The fuse panel should be in the engine compartment, passenger side, near the radiator)

3.- Pull out the fuse labeled "ECM" or "ECU" (You may use a pair of long nose plyers or the small plastic tool that's allready in the fuse box) (The inside of the fuse panel li d shows a chart indicating where each fuse is located)

4.- Turn the ignition switch to "ON" (position "C") (be carefull not to go as far as cranck position "D").

5.- Leave it like that and wait at least 5 minutes.

6.- Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position ( it should go to "A" position)

7.- Replace the fuse carefully into its slot in the fuse panel. Press it down until it is fully inserted. Replace the fuse box cover

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
4.- Turn the ignition switch to "ON" (position "C") (be carefull not to go as far as cranck position "D").
I have no idea what could happen it you tried to turn the engine on without the ecu. Id have guessed nothing. BUT, If it is really bad to try to turn the engine on without the ECU, it should also be noted that this car doesnt require you to hold the ignition at "D" until it fires. You only need to 'touch' to 'D' position for a split second.

·
Registered
08 Cts
6 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I'm having the exact same problem with my 08 cts as the op was, does anyone know the solution? Before I start replacing parts, thinking the ignition switch, but thought I'd ask first

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2
47 Posts
I had the same problem but i took starter relay off and dragged an wire to interior and added a start engine button, it works fine but fuel consumption is higher than usual so I would guess crankshaft position sensor which happens to be quite common problem, I'm going to order one soon, but if it doesn't work then I will look at ignition switch or camshaft sensor.

·
Registered
08 Cts
6 Posts
Thinking I might have to do the same meanwhile, I replaced the ignition switch today, grabbed it from a local dealer $21 but still nothing, I would think starter is good because it works when I jump the relay, but I was looking at the wiring diagram and it looks like maybe the starter solenoid isn't opening/closing the circuit the way it should, does that make any sense?

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2
47 Posts
I'm not sure about the starter solenoid, but I got the crankshaft sensor idea from youtube where a guy also jump starts from wire and says its because of bad crankshaft sensor.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6
8 Posts
Try doing the security relearn procedure. Sometimes replacing a battery or allowing the car to sit without power clears the security code which prevents the car from starting with the key.

·
Registered
(2) LY7
6 Posts
Well I took the ECM fuse out
cranked the car without it
Drove it around
Turned it off
replaced the fuse
And kept on driving

Now the security theft message comes on

I hope I didn't mess that MF up

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
el_bird said:
Well I took the ECM fuse out cranked the car without it Drove it around Turned it off replaced the fuse And kept on driving Now the security theft message comes on I hope I didn't mess that MF up
It might have been due to removing the fuse before hand
Try starting it again and see what it does

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would almost bet it's the pass key system giving you trouble

If the car starts with said fuse pulled but not when it's in then it's likely a security item giving trouble(in this case the pass key)

Try pulling the fuse again and see if it starts

You may want to get ahold of a tech-2 to check out the pass key system for codes

·
Registered
08 Cts
6 Posts
Tried starting car with another key and still nothing, was gonna try re learning pass key but wen ever I insert key then turn to crank position then leave it at on, anti theft light doesn't stay on or flash like its suppose to so I can't relearn it, really don't wanna have to run a push start switch

·
Registered
08 Cts
6 Posts
So looks like the battery was just a bit low, wen I replaced the battery previously I didn't really drive the car around too much since it wasn't starting, so I had installed a push start button and yesterday I drove around for about an hr and a half stuck in traffic for a while and wen I got home I tried starting it and it started right up, guess the car had to get a full charge on the system, works fine now
Thanks anyways for all the help

1 - 20 of 26 Posts