Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is very probably a dumb idea, but I figure someone might have considered it before. NAPA guy mentioned that my calipers were generally in stock because they were also used on GM/GMC light trucks. I checked and the same calipers were put on S10s, Blazers, Jimmys, etc. until 1998, when a dual piston system was put on. Internetting indicates many folks with early gen S10s pull the knuckles off later gen versions and upgrade their brakes to dual piston calipers, which is a major improvement. Apparently works for 4WD versions too. Can I do that with a FWD Eldorado? I assume the S10 knuckle wouldn't mount, the different rotors won't fit, car will explode, etc. And generally I should quit while I'm ahead with my newly rejuvenated brakes.

Anyone ever considered this? Mostly I'm just curious. But I'm gonna have to push the driveshaft out of the hubs to do those lower ball joints soon... Thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,854 Posts
Hi guys, this is very probably a dumb idea, but I figure someone might have considered it before. NAPA guy mentioned that my calipers were generally in stock because they were also used on GM/GMC light trucks. I checked and the same calipers were put on S10s, Blazers, Jimmys, etc. until 1998, when a dual piston system was put on. Internetting indicates many folks with early gen S10s pull the knuckles off later gen versions and upgrade their brakes to dual piston calipers, which is a major improvement. Apparently works for 4WD versions too. Can I do that with a FWD Eldorado? I assume the S10 knuckle wouldn't mount, the different rotors won't fit, car will explode, etc. And generally I should quit while I'm ahead with my newly rejuvenated brakes.

Anyone ever considered this? Mostly I'm just curious. But I'm gonna have to push the driveshaft out of the hubs to do those lower ball joints soon... Thanks.
=======================
I assume the S10 knuckle wouldn't mount, the different rotors won't fit, car will explode, etc.
And generally I should quit while I'm ahead with my newly rejuvenated brakes.

your assumption would be CORRECT -

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,241 Posts
Think we spoke about this in the past Scott. This is a common swap on a G body which our cars are somewhat similar to, of course the G body being RWD they use 2x4 S10 front end parts. The front ends of our cars are very similar to the 4x4 S10, so it would stand to reason that it may work.

Or, you and Bass may be correct.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
978 Posts
:trolling:

Buy extra liability and medical insurance

·
Registered
1985 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible, Sable Black, HT4100
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually do have some medical in my auto plan...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts