Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I just traded in my first gen CTS (which I loved!) for a 2nd gen - 2009 CTS with 24K miles. It's a great car, and I love the handling. The one thing that's bugging me a bit however is that the shifting seems harsh - i.e., I'm very aware of it while driving. I can't tell if it's a real issue or if I'm just obsessing about something that's normal, and I don't have another CTS to compare it to. Does anyone here have any thoughts? I've seen other threads re: shuddering, but I'm not sure what I'm describing really rises to that level. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
I've owned mine for over a year and I haven't noticed anything that has caught my attention.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've owned mine for over a year and I haven't noticed anything that has caught my attention.
Thanks. I'm going to take it in on Monday to have someone take a ride with me. It's not awful, it's just not smooth sometimes (which is also weird - it's only an occasional problem).

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
I test drove a '10 CTS 3.6. It had a harsh part throttle low speed downshift. Big shudder. Certainly didn't shift like I expected a Cadillac to shift. Told the salesman he needed to have it checked out before I was going to make any offer. Long story short, the neighboring Cadillac dealer said there was indeed something wrong, including a flare on the 2-3 upshift that I hadn't noticed.

Manufacturer's warranty had just expired 30 days prior.

Needless to say, I passed on the car in it's current condition. They're still deciding whether or not they will repair or wholesale it. It's a shame because I really liked the car otherwise.

FWIW (and I hope it doesn't come to this for you) I explored the possibility of purchasing the car AS-IS at a deep discount, I was quoted $1900 for a rebuild at a local independent shop.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes. I have a short powertrain warranty from the dealer, so that's good. My problem is more of an occasional harshness, but I haven't owned the car long enough to know whether it's normal. (It's not looking good, though!)
Guess I'll find out soon enough!

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
That $1900 was me asking them to quote the worst case scenario for budgetary reasons. There was a possibility that it could be repaired with less drastic measures.

12,778 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to take it in on Monday to have someone take a ride with me. It's not awful, it's just not smooth sometimes (which is also weird - it's only an occasional problem).
Hello enb,

Congratulations on your recent purchase, and I am glad to hear that you plan on working with your dealership regarding the shifting concern you are experiencing. Please send me a PM if you would like me to contact your dealership to assist in looking further into this situation. In addition, I will need your full name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and the name of your involved dealership to better assist you.

Enjoy your evening,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
Cadillac
71 Posts
The only thing I have noticed is shifting from 1st to 2nd. Whenever I'm light on the throttle it's like it doesn't have enough rpms to get into second. Whenever I get on it a lil stronger it feels right like it should. Just irritating to me is all

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Hi - I just traded in my first gen CTS (which I loved!) for a 2nd gen - 2009 CTS with 24K miles. It's a great car, and I love the handling. The one thing that's bugging me a bit however is that the shifting seems harsh - i.e., I'm very aware of it while driving. I can't tell if it's a real issue or if I'm just obsessing about something that's normal, and I don't have another CTS to compare it to. Does anyone here have any thoughts? I've seen other threads re: shuddering, but I'm not sure what I'm describing really rises to that level. Thanks in advance!
I have the same doubts. Sometimes I feel power cut off for half of second while shifting 1-2 or 2-3. Mine is 2008 40k. I have 4-gear AT in other car with 130k and there it works always in the same way... better ?
I suspect adaptive functions of CTS AT or bad transmission fluid. I plan to exchange the fluid and filter in 2-3 weeks so I will be able to assess it again.
I heard also that relearn of throttle body can improve shifting, maybe I will try to do se tests.

·
Registered
2010 Black CTS 3.6L RWD , 2010 Silver CTS 3.6L RWD
51 Posts
I've had the 1st gen and now my wife and I both have the 2nd gen. I do not feel this shudder but I can tell you 2 things I liked better on my 1st gen; 1. The trans shifting was beautiful compared to the harsh shift on the 2nd gen (especially the 1st to 2nd). 2.The seats I liked much better in my first gen (more comfortable and way more supportive).
Everything else I like better on the 2nd gen. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts
Not as smooth as the CVT we had on a Mitsubishi but much less "sucky" in terms of feel. Smoothest "conventional" auto I've ever had for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts