Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V6 2009 STS AWD V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, is this a difficult thing to do? Also, what type of bulb is that?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
I think you are referring to the city light bulb. Yes, it can be replaced, but it is a real chore. Here is how it goes:

1. turn the front wheel so you have good access to the wheel well area
2. remove wheel well and attached plastic shield extending underneath and to the front of the vehicle. This involves removing about 10-14 plastic push pins.
3. you should now be able to access the light unit housing from the back
4. remove the housing backing by removing 4 or 6 bolts (you may need flashlight and or mirror)
5. twist out light socket in question and replace bulb
6. reassemble

If this is your first time replacing bulbs in the SRX, allow a good two hours! Another method (used a lot by the dealer) is to remove the front bumper. Either way it is a pain, but doable.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD V6 2009 STS AWD V6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are referring to the city light bulb. Yes, it can be replaced, but it is a real chore. Here is how it goes:

1. turn the front wheel so you have good access to the wheel well area
2. remove wheel well and attached plastic shield extending underneath and to the front of the vehicle. This involves removing about 10-14 plastic push pins.
3. you should now be able to access the light unit housing from the back
4. remove the housing backing by removing 4 or 6 bolts (you may need flashlight and or mirror)
5. twist out light socket in question and replace bulb
6. reassemble

If this is your first time replacing bulbs in the SRX, allow a good two hours! Another method (used a lot by the dealer) is to remove the front bumper. Either way it is a pain, but doable.
Thanks! I have replaced the fog light bulb on my STS so it seems pretty similar. Would you happen to know the replacement bulb part number?

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
You can try gmpartsdirect.com as they have part numbers and schematics or check with the dealer.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 V8 Sport
25 Posts
I have one out as well and will change it this spring. I am curious about the term city light and the reason for it; is this a mandatory lighting requirement in Europe or some other jurisdiction and we just get it here in North America since they just use the same assembly? I saw somewhere that the European version SRX has a different back-up lamp assembly. If you look at the North American units, our bulbs for back-up are only in one half while the other half are red on the European version likely for some manditory bright read in the rear when foggy in Germany or some other place. I see side markers on the front fenders as well.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
City light bulb is 5w5.
...btw...the bulb type is "W5W"
...it's similar to the us/canada type "194" bulb (which also can be used)...
...the "blue-ish"/light blue tinted W5W used from factory on SRX, STS, ATS and some other is called:
"W5WB50X2" (by AC Delco)
GM-Part-#25763464...

is this a mandatory lighting requirement in Europe or some other jurisdiction and we just get it here in North America since they just use the same assembly?
...yes, the domestic model got it since the exports use almost the same assembly (they are not identical, e.g. us/canada lamps require a "norm" by DOT, export must be ECE licensed) ...and in/for production it saves some costs to use or share similar or same parts...)

...it's just the parking lamp/parking light/front position lamp...the term in europe also is parking lamp/parking light or front position lamp...laws in europe...or almost all over the world...require a white only emitting lightoutput in front instead of the typical us/canada amber/orange (...the front position lamps may emit white OR amber light in us/canada)...I don't know why it is sometimes called "city light" here in the forums...:D...I don't think this is really the right term for usage...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Front_position_lamps_.28parking_lamps.2C_standing_lamps.29

...the export tails are different cause turnsignal rear has to be amber, too...and backups in export srx contain the rear fog lamps...another requirement...also the side-mounted turn signal repeaters on exports (many cars now use the side mirrors for a "side turn signal" )

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Something like an access panel in the splash shield below the lamp units would have been nice! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts