Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im hoping that someone could tell me what year and car model this vin number is from
I think its from a 2005 deville but im not sure
and
im about to buy the navi unit from someone and just wanted to make sure this is the right vin number
for the car it came out of its supose dot be a 2005
so ifs omeone can help me out please
i did a car fax search where normaly it will give you the year and model but
it didnt bring up any year or model of this car so i was hoping that someone could help out becouse i dont want ot get stuck with a navi unit that doenst work becosue of the theftlock

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 1988 Fleetwood Brougham
330 Posts
Re: can someone tell me what year and model this vin nummber is

you need to put the number on here if you want anyone to look at it

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: can someone tell me what year and model this vin nummber is

you need to put the number on here if you want anyone to look at it
sorry about that here it is

1G6KY54903UT76802

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kk cool thanks guys
im just worried becouse if i get this navi unit and the vin doenst match up to the theflock then im screwed and not only am i out the 400 bills im going to pay for the unit but then have to come up with another 500 to get one of ebay
yikes

i also just looked at my title for my 2000 sevill how come its not a 0 for the 10th number its a letter its a letter y
should it be 0 if they go by the year ?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,080 Posts
1G6KY549XXXXXXX is a Seville, maybe STS, and that unit will have the TheftLock feature with some VIN in memory.

The 9th character, a 9, is a check figure while the 10th character is a 3, so it's a 2003. UT76802 is the production line/sequence number.

Whatever it really is, it surely is NOT from a 2005 Deville. Hope it's not hot as a firecracker.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
KY is a seville. Not sure about the trim level.
Seville and Deville navs are not compatible that I recall... hard to say off hand.
It is a 2003.
U is the plant code and the last 6 is the sequence number.
That T is not supposed to be there, it is either a type-o or a misread number.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just called the dealship up near me and they said yeah that is a invalid vin

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Everything is right except for the T, it is probably supposed to be a 7 or something.
1G6KY54903U276802 is a valid one.
That is probably it.... it has a bose with navigation.
They probably thought "two" and typed T instead of it.
3U176802 is a Deville and other numbers don't work.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just when 200 miles ot pick up a navi unit form a 2003 seville
got it for 500 they where asking 750
its looks mint not one srach ot ding on it at all
so wish me luck

i was wondering if the 10th digit is suposed ot be the year
how come this has 4 for the 10th digite but
when i ran the vin it came up 2003
is that normal ?

THank

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Uhh, am I missing something here or is this dude going to need to have the unit reprogrammed REGARDLESS of the VIN if the VIN is even one digit different from the donor vehicle? I think matching the audio system type (i.e Bose/Non-bose) is more important. At least that's how it is with most GM audio systems. Again however, the Deville, Seville, and XLR use those weird Denso things instead of Delco.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uhh, am I missing something here or is this dude going to need to have the unit reprogrammed REGARDLESS of the VIN if the VIN is even one digit different from the donor vehicle? I think matching the audio system type (i.e Bose/Non-bose) is more important. At least that's how it is with most GM audio systems. Again however, the Deville, Seville, and XLR use those weird Denso things instead of Delco.
these units have the theflock activated so
only way to unlock the theft lock is to have the dealer do it with the tech two machine is think thats what they use the have to have the vin number rof the donor car to unlock it and program it to the new car other wise the system will think it is stolen and wont work

and the only time you have to have it reprogrammed is at least from what i have heard is
if the internal battery in the unit is dead if its not dead it should be holding the memory OK
without a problem
but even if it is dead Jason cadillac2003sts OK not sure i spelled that right but you know who I'm talking about has the software to program it after the theft lock is taken care of

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
these units have the theflock activated so
only way to unlock the theft lock is to have the dealer do it with the tech two machine is think thats what they use the have to have the vin number rof the donor car to unlock it and program it to the new car other wise the system will think it is stolen and wont work
That doesn't make any sense. My understanding is that you do NOT have to have the VIN of the donor car. If you take it to the dealership they will REprogram the EEPROM in the radio to match the VIN of the NEW car you are putting the radio into for a nominal fee. If it were the OTHER way around, the dealer would essentially be changing the VIN of the NEW car (your car) to be the VIN of the old donor vehicle. It is the radio ITSELF which is reprogrammed to match the VIN of YOUR car, something that can only be done with TechII and ONLY at the dealership as a result as a security measure in and of itself.

There are hundreds of GM Radios sold on Ebay every single day and they provide specific instructions to take the radio to the GM Dealer for a VIN recode, none of those inlcude the VIN of the car they came out of and the sellers of those radios never have problems. (These radios usually come out of salvage wrecked vehicles).

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That doesn't make any sense. My understanding is that you do NOT have to have the VIN of the donor car. If you take it to the dealership they will REprogram the EEPROM in the radio to match the VIN of the NEW car you are putting the radio into for a nominal fee. If it were the OTHER way around, the dealer would essentially be changing the VIN of the NEW car (your car) to be the VIN of the old donor vehicle. It is the radio ITSELF which is reprogrammed to match the VIN of YOUR car, something that can only be done with TechII and ONLY at the dealership as a result as a security measure in and of itself.

There are hundreds of GM Radios sold on Ebay every single day and they provide specific instructions to take the radio to the GM Dealer for a VIN recode, none of those include the VIN of the car they came out of and the sellers of those radios never have problems. (These radios usually come out of salvage wrecked vehicles).
every one that i have talked to has told me that they have the vin numbers to the donor cars of all the radios that have theft lock on them
because without the donor vin the dealership cant reprogram it I'm not to concerned about it anymore now that i have the donor vin and the right unit but ill ask them when i take it in if i really needed the vin number or not
but from what i have read and heard from others here who have Deon this same conversion
they have to have the vin of the donor car to have it Deon

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
every one that i have talked to has told me that they have the vin numbers to the donor cars of all the radios that have theft lock on them
because without the donor vin the dealership cant reprogram it I'm not to concerned about it anymore now that i have the donor vin and the right unit but ill ask them when i take it in if i really needed the vin number or not
but from what i have read and heard from others here who have Deon this same conversion
they have to have the vin of the donor car to have it Deon
I am definitely interested to find this out. It is always useful information to have in the future.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am definitely interested to find this out. It is always useful information to have in the future.
will definatly let you know what i find out when go to the dealer if youd like to know for sure before than give them a call and ask

but if not ill let you know for sure

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You don't need the VIN of the old car, you don't need any VIN really.
On most radios (notice I did not say all) we "clear" the VIN out with the tech 2 and on the next key cycle the radio polls other modules for the VIN in the car it is installed in and automatically stores the new VIN.

Some radios require software programming, mostly in trucks, to work properly.
You do need to match Bose for Bose, sometimes the pinouts can be different on a non-bose radio and some amplifiers are class 2 or non class 2 depending on application.

The 10th digit is the year. What are you punching it in to in order to "get 2003"?
If it is a 4 then the car is a 2004, if it is a 3.... etc.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You don't need the VIN of the old car, you don't need any VIN really.
On most radios (notice I did not say all) we "clear" the VIN out with the tech 2 and on the next key cycle the radio polls other modules for the VIN in the car it is installed in and automatically stores the new VIN.

Some radios require software programming, mostly in trucks, to work properly.
You do need to match Bose for Bose, sometimes the pinouts can be different on a non-bose radio and some amplifiers are class 2 or non class 2 depending on application.

The 10th digit is the year. What are you punching it in to in order to "get 2003"?
If it is a 4 then the car is a 2004, if it is a 3.... etc.
everyone i have ever talked to that has doen this conversion has said they need the vin to have the theftlock unlocked
now i feel really stupid if that is not the case shittttttttt
i just punched the vin into car fax and it came up 2003
what other places can i punch the vin into to pull up info like that ?
now i just called the dealership and i found out they dont need it becosue the vin nujmber is already stored in the unit
if they needed to pull it i really feel stupid right now shit

THanks

Ross

1 - 19 of 19 Posts