Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I've read through a number of threads but am still a little foggy as to how our rear "air ride" suspension works/is setup. Here's my issue: a few months ago I was sure my rear compressor was shot. Stopped hearing it run after starting the truck and got the "service suspension system" message in the dash. Well, all of a sudden once it got warmer here in the DC area, it started running, again but it's very loud, and very "clunky" (if that makes any sense)...long story short, it doesn't sound the way it should and it runs very randomly and long at times.

I recently converted my front/rear suspension to the monroe passive/coilover setup since then, and am curious if the compressor is actually "doing" anything when it runs? It's gotten to the point where it is so loud and prolonged sometimes I will hear it while driving over road noise (while the window is down) or even over my radio and sometimes even get stares from other drives/pedestrians. Today, I decided I was fed up with it and just pulled the fuse so it would stop running, for now (of course now with the fuse pulled, "service suspension system" message is back in DIC).

Ultimately, my question is: since I have a passive suspension setup now, is the compressor actually doing anything beneficial (i.e. is it actually "leveling" anything)? How can I put the fuse back (to get rid of the error message) but also "deactivate" the compressor? Or is there a way to bypass it somehow? I know there's a way to bypass the error message if the compressor is indeed shot, but mine isn't...yet. I know this sounds a little confusing, so feel free to ask any questions so I can clarify. As always, any insight and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The only thing the air suspension does is adjust to the rear height as you add weight, or could be the angle of how the truck is parked to allow the air pump to run, but it's purpose is to keep the rear at a set height no matter what your load is, the real name is "load level control". Without the stock electric shocks you loss real time damping, we have had some issues when installing Monroe shocks and could not get rid of the error message, the customer then supplied the stock electric shock he got on ebay and end of message

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
The resistors get rid of the service suspension error that is caused when the stock shock are switched out to standard shocks, they do nothing for the compressor, the compressor is running because it's either trying to pump something up that is not there, or if the bladders are still in place the air line or the rubber bladders themselves could be leaking, pull the fuse or get it fixed don't know what they did to your truck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts