Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know many of you LOVE the seats in your DTS, so don't flame me on this question....

And the question is... do any of you large dudes, like me, (i.e. 6'4", 215 lbs, 40" waist) find the seat bolsters on either side of the bottom of the driver's seat to cramp your style? Mine really cramps my hindquarters where the leg-bone connects to the butt-bone.... especially on a drive of several hours or more.

I have driven mine since new in 2006 and was hoping that I could break 'em in and soften 'em up. That Cadillac quality has kept the seats like new, so at the risk of getting personal, my butt/hips/thighs are still sore after a long drive, and get REALLY sore on a trip. It's like driving with a wallet in both hip pockets, each packed with $500 in small bills, and 18 credit cards each.

The seats feel like they were made for someone MUCH smaller than me. I would be interested to see about having the padding /upholstery altered but they are heated/cooled seats and I am worried that I might screw something up. The electric lumbar already needs to be repaired after they replaced the worm-screw seat-adjuster unit, AND the the memory unit when the electric seat adjuster stopped working (twice), at only 24K miles. :dammit:

You'd think I weighed 800lbs the way I am complaining about the seat here. (No offense to you really big guys out there).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...or maybe, instead of havin' the seat altered, I need to have my hind-quarters altered.

I sit behind a desk all day, and then in a big leather chair all evening, no problem. A couple hours behind the wheel of the Caddy though, and I become a real sore-a$$.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
A good upholstery shop can handle it. I had some additional padding put in my CTS front seats. They also were heated/cooled. Cost me almost $1000 and didn't help that much though.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
It shouldn't cost anywhere near $1,000 to have the bolsters shaved down. There's no parts involved, just labor.

I don't know if you've ever seen a seat apart, but it's basically a huge foam mold with the leather put over it like a sock. An upholstery shop can pull the seat cover off, then shave down the padding in the offending areas and reinstall the cover. We have a shop near us that handles things like this for our customers, and I'd guess somewhere in the $200-$400 range.

The one negative to doing this is that the leather will be a little "loose" in the areas where you remove padding, since it's stretched to the shape of the bolsters now. As long as you don't mind that, it should be an easy and relatively cheap job for a good shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts