Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping around for a DeVille and so many of the cars out there have canvas carriage tops or vinyl tops which really are not my cup of tea. Is it possible to remove these without causing damage to the car?

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
youll really have to look at them , most tops are secured with SCREWS (ACK!!!)....once the tops is gone youll be left with holes or if you choose to put them back in ...screws ...either way pretty ugly ....Now some folks int he 70s would remove the vynal tops and leave the chrome trim that went around the tops ......This was pretty popular to do with the Old AMC Javelins as they seemed to get the most downright ugly vynal tops (i mean FLOWER PRINT whoose idea was that?)....and they looked good with just the chrome ....

Depending on what top it is and if you remove it you might be left with a really cool chrome starsky and hutch stripe (i belive those were the E&G tops)

or you can jjust keep shopping till you find exactly what you want ....topless cars are out there ......

i like my caddies like my women , big and topless

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah not to mention the difference in the paint oxidization between the exposed and the covered part....I bet you'd be able to see a difference.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Yeah, what Stoney said. Even the factory tops employed extra snap clips to hold on the edging where the top ends and transisitions to the body. I think most of these clips are attached to the body sheetmetal with screws, thus you will have a porblem on removal.

The E&G tops (mostly sim-cons) have a chrome strip and little chrome (or sometimes gold) "rivet" looking pieces around the screws to add to the convertible top look where the material ends.

A lot of these sim-con tops also get aftermarket emblems attached to the C pillar (sail panel) and are going to be pin-mounted so there will be more holes to worry about right there.

I'd say you should just hold out for a car without, there are more that are "topless" than ones that were bastardized by having a top installed. It seems that these have steadily lost popularity since the mid-90's and while there are still a lot of Cadillacs that have them (and continue to get them) there are far fewer 94 and up Devilles on average that get tops put on than 93 and back.

KDirk

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Why do people put them on?

Is it still possible to get a Cadillac with a top from the factory? I hope not, and if not, why the hell do people get them, the car wasnt emant to have one, so they just look stupid!

The 94-99 Devilles look great without the tops that people put on, especially the half and quater tops! Theyre awful!

Thankfully vinyl tops died in the UK in the 1970s...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah, its not my 'cup of tea' either....but theres alot of fans here.
In fact I voiced such an opinion on here a while back and found that there were ALOT of folks who felt strongly about their tops.

I think the dealership puts has em put on as an option.
Kinda like pinstripes I suppose. They put it on and charge a big markup for em.......

Frankly I am surprised with what people put up with here.
People buy brand new cars that have ugly dealer badging on the deck all the time.
Whenever I buy a car I put it in writing that if they attached a dealer badge, license plate frame, or any other kind of dealer advertising on my car on my car, the deal is off.

There was a nice Lexus in my lot that had a huge chrome badge on the trunklid that said "Dick Ide Hyundai"!

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
I agree with powerglide on this one. I think these are silly, some aren't too bad looking, depends on the car/year/color, but they are a maintenance hassle, especially sim-cons that are cloth. The vinyl landau tops weren't quite so bad to keep clean but they wore out with age (faster than a painted metal roof anyway) and they create drag that makes the car noisy inside - a very bad thing on a caddy.

AFAIK, the factory no longer offers any Cadillac with a top. This pretty much died after 1999 for the Deville, which I think was the last series to get a factory top. It may have been earilier than that, I'm not sure. CTS never got one from the start of production, nor did the 2000 up Deville series. Any, yes I've seen CTS's with sim con's, W]hiskey T]ango F]oxtrot?

There are those who like this look, and that's fine. I think it may impact resale value though, as the majority of people (by at least a small margin) seem to dislike them now. Another reason the aftermarket stuff is popular is that it is a major money maker for the dealer. You cannot believe the profit on one of these E&G or similar dealer appearance kits. I'm sure there are dealers who push this stuff on buyers who are indifferent so that can make more on the sale of the car.

On the newer models, they are just ugly. I saw a 2005 Deville at the dealer a few months ago with a "biarritz" package, good GOD it was hideous. Way too much "bling" added to a car with such clean lines - and the car sat there for probably 2 months before they sold it, at a discount I'd bet.

I will also concur with the dealer badging bit. My last two cars (including the current SDV) had no dealer namebadge, and I like it that way. Thankfully, few dealers now rivet the big-a$$ ugly chrome plastic jobs onto the trunk lid like they used to, and use vinyl decals which are easily removed.

Same goes for license plate frames of any kind. I hate these, and would never put one (dealer or otherwise) on my car. Put the plates on with chrome security bolts and that's it. I like it clean and simple. These are just a quarter step over bumper stickers in the food chain as far is I'm concerned, and I would never put on a bumper sticker either.

KDirk

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
My view is, if the car came with a top as an option or standard, fine, get it, have it, whatever. If it didnt, dont get one.

Pinstriping can look good, depending on the car, i certainly wouldnt go and get pinstriping done on any car that i bought new without them.

Also, something that gets me about the tops, why the hell do people cover the rear quater light windows!? This must look awful from the inside, and ruins the styling from the outside too!

This site has some pictures of Cadillacs with tops on, they are hidious. Im sure you all know the site, but just refreshyourself to remind you never to go get it done :p

http://www.aidirestyling.com/gallery.cfm?prod_type=Tops&auto_make=Cadillac

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
I like my pinstripes .....all done by hand .....i dont remeber if i have gotten pics of it for you guys ....they came out cool as hell

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey StoneAge,
I love the signature "The beatings will continue till morale improves." Made me laugh more than once.:histeric:

-Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear God where were you years ago when Cadillac could have used a good consultant on what looks cool and what doesn’t? I’ll bet Cadillacs CEO is in tears as you were no where to be found for your authority on what looks cool. Those damn moronic engineers they probably cost the car company millions!!! And then the people who bought the cars with the simcon tops could probably line up all day long in hopes of paying for one of your seminars as to what looks cool. I feel sad for the plethora of misinformed patrons and designers that were not blessed with your insight. You should take a stand and offer them your consultation for a hefty price and reeducate these idiots on the authority of coolness!!!
sincoms do make cars look more elegant but to each his own.
Why do people put them on?

Is it still possible to get a Cadillac with a top from the factory? I hope not, and if not, why the hell do people get them, the car wasnt emant to have one, so they just look stupid!

The 94-99 Devilles look great without the tops that people put on, especially the half and quater tops! Theyre awful!

Thankfully vinyl tops died in the UK in the 1970s...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,078 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

He was here - 15 years ago - when he posted #8 in 2005. Hasn't been seen since.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,237 Posts
Dear God where were you years ago when Cadillac could have used a good consultant on what looks cool and what doesn’t? I’ll bet Cadillacs CEO is in tears as you were no where to be found for your authority on what looks cool. Those damn moronic engineers they probably cost the car company millions!!! And then the people who bought the cars with the simcon tops could probably line up all day long in hopes of paying for one of your seminars as to what looks cool. I feel sad for the plethora of misinformed patrons and designers that were not blessed with your insight. You should take a stand and offer them your consultation for a hefty price and reeducate these idiots on the authority of coolness!!!
sincoms do make cars look more elegant but to each his own.
=========================
Pssssssssst -
simcon tops were ALL aftermarket add-ons - Cadillac had nothing to do with them -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts