Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
cadillac eldorado
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Eldorado and when I have the battery hooked up but the alternator not the car runs fine or the alternator hooked and battery not its the same. But when I have them both hooked up the car surges and cuts in and out. I can not figure this problem out, so you have any solution's I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
if you run car with no alt, than it is using battery voltage. battery is to start car, not used while running. do you think the surging is an ignition/spark issue or a fuel delivery problem?

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
Well first I would strongly suggest you not run the car with the battery disconnected... the alternator will have nothing to filter its output and can very quickly ruin most of the electronics in the car.

With the battery and alternator connected, I would measure the voltage and look for any odd fluctuations. Though that may not show too much. The best way to find transients on the DC system is to look at the waveforms on an oscilloscope, but a voltmeter is a good place to start.

·
Registered
08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
302 Posts
What type of surging are you talking about? Is it electrical surges like the lights dimming and coming back up or is it idle and engine related?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts