Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am the new owner of a 94' Cadillac Seville SLS with Northstar engine. I have 130K on the clock and it is black with tan interior. It has the carriage top (cloth top). I am not sure what this package is called.
My main concern is can I work on this car myself due to the larger amount of electronics. I work on all of my own cars but this one is newer than my other cars and has more electronics like direct fire and EFI. Please let me know if this is ok. Thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
a complicated engine consists of a bunch of VERY simple small systems that when tied together make a big mess. If you can look at the systems as small parts, the big mess is more clear.

I have no prob working on my car. All motors work the same exact way, things are just in different places.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sure the car will require SOME special tools for SOME jobs but overall like Jay said it's still basically just a car, with a sh%#-load of electronics! ;)
Your success with it will definately depend on your individual abilities though. Get a factory manual and read through it. If it looks like you can tackle an issue using the manual, jump right in.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
As a die hard DIYer (as best I can) a FACTORY service manual is key....... Just know when your in over your head, and dont force it..... If you have to take a breather and beat something, do so......

You need these things to work on a car like this......
Good jackstands
Patience
A FSM
a good torque wrench
Patience
A good selection of wrenches and sockets
Patience

DIYing on these cars is a GREAT alternative, as most jobs arent really "complicated" per se, but are very time consuming due to mainly the lack of room in the engine compartment....... Ive done all maintenance items on my car, and Ive saved myself over 1000 (at 60/hr) on jobs on my car... Ive done plugs, Tstat, rear diff oil, and a whole bunch of other stuff I cant remember......

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. I am getting a workshop manual. Actually I found one forsale from another member but it is a 95' manual set and I have a 94' so it might work. If not I will get find one somewhere. Yes, I had a good time changing the alternator yesterday. It went well. I was surprised how nice many of the components came out, like the rad. fan. It is very accessible and easy to remove. My main concern is all of the electronics on the car. On the other hand most of it should be very reliable. After changing the alt. I went for a drive for about 1 hour. I learned more about the car and it is such a pleasure to drive. Extremely comfortable and quiet. The engine is great too. Thanks Again for the responses. I am glad that there is a site like this for us DIYers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts