Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is an ONSTAR phone in the car. I have a 2002 Seville SLS. Is there any way to use MY cell phone with the hands free unit that is already installed in the vehicle? ???

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I would like to be able to do this, too. Searching Google has turned up nothing so far.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
wmmsbo said:
I know there is an ONSTAR phone in the car. I have a 2002 Seville SLS. Is there any way to use MY cell phone with the hands free unit that is already installed in the vehicle? ???
I have looked into this myself as other people have asked me the same thing about their GM cars. It seems that everything is there, microphone, etc..

I have not torn one down to do any research, nor do I have a manual for a 2002 so I would like to know the answer to this one as well.

Hope somebody here has taken the time to run it down and make it work for a hands free cell phone. Chime in !

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Would be nice to be able to use the steering wheel control and (icing on the cake), the voice commands.

·
Registered
02 STS
267 Posts
i know it can be done with the new sts if u have verizon you can combine the account not sure about older models

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, I understand about the technology of the phone that's built into the car, but I was thinking about connecting our current cell phones (the ones we carry around in our pockets) to the car system and have the steering wheel and voice command control our cell phones.

BMW cars let you do that. At last my brother's 2002 740iL does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Checked into using the car phone in my 97. Just wanted to activate it. But no go. All the services including verizon cingular,etc said no because its analog and not digital. They are phasing all analog out. Only way is to have the ubit replaced with digital. About 500.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I found out. I wonder if there's a way to hook up our current personal mobile phones in the Caddys in place of the phones that are already installed in the car.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Bummer. So far, I have found nothing on this in my research. I guess it's time to order the Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) and dig around that to see how the wiring is done.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It looks like the quickest and cheapest way to do it is to buy the $500 digital phone from Cadillac. This also means you have to buy the OnStar subscription in addition to any Cell Phone plan.

I bought the FSM and did quite a bit of digging into the manuals. Unless you know how to interface your cellphone to the car computer, you're stuck.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The way the phone system is designed on the car, I don't see how this could be possible.
They used to offer handset systems but you still had to buy their handset. Plus it was tied to the car.
So far the only vehicle you can do this with is the new STS, you can use a bluetooth phone and connect wirelessly to the radio system for hands free calling. With all the different cell phone manufacturers out there I wouldn't count on there being an easy way to do what you are trying to do if it's possible at all.

Yes you can link your OnStar account to your verizon account for personal calling minutes.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Isn't On-Star based on the Hughes 3 Watt Digital phone? This is the car phone GM used to offer. If it is then look at the tranceiver for the phone if you can find it. See if there is a handset jack. You can actually make calls through On-Star I'm told but it's pricey.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
JWH said:
Checked into using the car phone in my 97. Just wanted to activate it. But no go. All the services including verizon cingular,etc said no because its analog and not digital. They are phasing all analog out. Only way is to have the ubit replaced with digital. About 500.
Make sure. If it is a Hughes model it is more than likely a 3 watt digital. Is it factory? You might still have a problem though. 5 years ago I had a Motorola 3 watt digital car phone. AT&T fought me tooth and nail to activate it. Now, they won't activate them. The cut off for current subscribers only was like four years ago. I like powerful car phones but there are problems. My handset didn't make proper sounds for newer services so say pushing 1 or # for something didn't work.

I have a Nokia hands free kit in my Caddy. I hid the speaker under the dash, the microphone is installed by the center AC vents and the phone and cradle are installed off to the passenger side. It looks and works very well. Best of all I have portability. My kit is also bluetooth enabled so any enabled phone will wor with my hands free kit.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The older units (2001 and older I think) had two separate modules, the cellular unit and the vehicle interface unit, formerly known as the VCU and the VIU. Now it's one box called a VCIM (Vehicle Communication Interface Module).
They are built by Autocraft, and I have no idea what's inside of them.
You would probably spend lots of time and money trying to figure out how to use their system to do what you want, or you could go spend 100 bucks on a nice hands free setup from the cellular store down on the corner.

I seriously doubt that GM cares enough to develop a kit to hook an average cell phone into the on board systems on cars they no longer build.
I really have enough trouble keeping cars working the way they are supposed to, let alone try to figure out how 12 million people think their car SHOULD work and how I should modify it to make it work that way.

I do feel this is an honest question about something that does sound like a good idea. However, I have been working with OnStar since '98 and haven't seen anything like that, nor do I expect to.
That's all I was trying to say.

I am sure there are those out there who specialize in cellular systems and could probably tell you who made every part inside the box and how to wire your dish network box and your toaster into your car to pick up extraterrestrial transmissions and broadcast them in holograms on the roof of your car.

Here is some info on a VCIM from SI.

The vehicle communication interface module (VCIM) is a 3-watt cellular device that allows the user to communicate data and voice signals over the National Cellular Network. It is powered by a fused, battery positive voltage circuit, connected through vehicle wiring to the 3-button assembly and the radio, and attached by means of coax cables to the cellular and navigation antennas. Ground for the module is accomplished by means of dedicated circuits that are routed with body wiring systems to chassis ground points. The module houses 2 modems, one to process global positioning system (GPS) data, and the other for cellular information. Satellites orbiting earth are constantly transmitting signals of their current location, from which the OnStar® system is able to pinpoint its own location. The navigation antenna receives these GPS signals and provides the data to the VCIM to be processed. The VCIM communicates with the rest of the vehicle over the class 2 serial data bus. Ignition state is determined by the VCIM through class 2 messaging. The module also has the capability of commanding the horn, door lock/unlock, and operating the exterior lamps using the class 2 serial data circuit. When an OnStar® keypress is made, a class 2 message is sent to the audio system to mute all radio functions and transmit OnStar® originated audio. After the audio system is muted, the OnStar® signals are transmitted to the audio system on the cellular telephone voice signal circuit, and returned to the module on the cellular telephone voice low reference circuit. The cellular modem connects the OnStar® system to the cellular carrier's communication system by interacting with the national cellular infrastructure. The module sends and receives all cellular communications over the cellular antenna and cellular antenna coax.

·
Registered
98 Concours
153 Posts
ewill3rd (or anyone that might know the answer,nobody seems to know much about the older Hughes phones),

Sounds like you have worked on the older systems (mine is the onstar VSP made by Hughes from 1998), do you remember any problems with the GPS intermittently working? I get a message on the DIC sometimes that says "No GPS" and when I call Onstar they say the GPS is not working (all the other Onstar functions and phone functions work great). Again it is only intermittent so hard to debug. The good news is I have a new Onstar kit I bought off ebay that has all the parts including parts for the GPS but I am not sure which part to replace, any thoughts?

BTW ewill3rd I have read many of your post and just wanted to say it is nice to have a caddy technician on the board that is so willing to help and that so far has not been too confrentational. Seems like the board has a tendency to run off techs for some reason, hopefully that won't happen this time. keep up the good work and thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Thanks, I try to keep a thick skin but sometimes certain types of comments make me want to do something more productive with my "spare" time.

Intermittent GPS problems are usually only related to antenna or lead problems.
Back in those days the systems were installed at the dealership. I only did one on a '98 Seville but I have seen Deville systems since then. I think they stick the GPS antenna back by the third brake light. You could have something causing interference to the antenna but if that were the case you should have problems all the time.
The antenna itself could be going bad too.
If you have a kit to update the hardware you should be alright.
I would start by replacing the GPS antenna and making sure it's location is unobstructed. Metallic content window tint can really mess it up. Not sure if you have any, just wanted to mention it.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
brmurph said:
ewill3rd (or anyone that might know the answer,nobody seems to know much about the older Hughes phones),
Sounds like you have worked on the older systems (mine is the onstar VSP made by Hughes from 1998), do you remember any problems with the GPS intermittently working? I get a message on the DIC sometimes that says "No GPS" and when I call Onstar they say the GPS is not working (all the other Onstar functions and phone functions work great). Again it is only intermittent so hard to debug. The good news is I have a new Onstar kit I bought off ebay that has all the parts including parts for the GPS but I am not sure which part to replace, any thoughts?
BTW ewill3rd I have read many of your post and just wanted to say it is nice to have a caddy technician on the board that is so willing to help and that so far has not been too confrentational. Seems like the board has a tendency to run off techs for some reason, hopefully that won't happen this time. keep up the good work and thanks.
I just wanted to say I wouldnt go to any trouble to fix this, in about a year the analog systems wont work anymore anyway. And your vehicle is too old for the digital upgrade kit that GM has made available for 500.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for bringing back an old post, but I may have a solution that doesn't require taking your dashboard apart.

I have a 2002 Cadillac DTS that has a cassette player. The previous owner left one of these in the cassette player when I purchased it and it works fairly decent. They're about $6 at Walmart. Hope this helped someone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator SEMPER PARATUS
2003 DeVille Base
4,419 Posts
Sorry for bringing back an old post, but I may have a solution that doesn't require taking your dashboard apart.

I have a 2002 Cadillac DTS that has a cassette player. The previous owner left one of these in the cassette player when I purchased it and it works fairly decent. They're about $6 at Walmart. Hope this helped someone.
Welcome to the forums!
this is a dead post; last contributor hasn't logged on in 4 years. Not quite sure how a cassette adapter is going to solve the original question of using his own hand held phone with the Onstar phone/controls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts