Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 CTS AWD 3.6 and I'm not loving the engine Auto Stop feature when the car is not moving. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

In the meantime, is there a way to turn that feature off by default? Right now, every time I start the car I end up manually turning it off.

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
I have heard of others who want to disable this feature, although I can't understand why....It does save fuel, which Is good for both our environment and your wallet. I have driven
cars with this feature, and I do like It...I find nothing Irritating about It...

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
I'm sure this is considered part of the emissions control, and would be a federal violation to disable. Meaning it ain't gonna be easy

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
it's not part of emissions control, but it does have a part in fuel economy....that said, I've yet to see a car that didn't have a disable button for this on the dash..

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
There's a button on the left side of the CUE screen to turn the feature off. Itmis not a part of the emmissions control system.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,778 Posts
You talking about the brake assist feature? Its the symbol on the right side of CUE screen, below Glove Box opener. You can turn it off by touching the indicator. Dont know why one would if this is your issue. Until just recently I thought this was for the collision warning where the red lights come on when you come too close to car in front. However this specific function is controlled by inward button on top left of steering wheel. To the right of voice recognition button. If you press it repeatedly you change the distance for controlling alarm. And it can be turned off too. I never noticed this button until now. I think sales person told me the brake assist button under glove box button did this - control alert for getting too close to car ahead.

·
Registered
CTS-V wagon, Exige S, Ghibli SQ4, Spec E46
6 Posts
I'm stuck with a CTS loaner for week and ended up here looking for a solution. It's a shame that it can't be overridden permanently. I can't imagine having to deal with this every day. I realize the solution is just the push of a button away, but it doesn't prevent the irritation I feel every I pull up to a stop and realize I forgot.

My biggest issue with it is the amount of extra wear it seems like it's putting on the car, and how I'm no longer able to drive as smoothly in traffic. You basically are getting 10X the number of start/stop cycles on your drivetrain per mile driven, and only saving a few bucks a week. The way it slams back into gear each time makes me shudder for whichever poor soul ends up owning this car at the end of its warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Cadillac CTS 2.0T Luxury
72 Posts
Last year, I drove a loaner BMW with the Auto Stop feature and really didn't like it. When the car would restart, the engine gave quite a jolt. So, when I realized my 2016 CTS had this feature, I wasn't exactly happy. However, after a few weeks of ownership, it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I now enjoy the quiet time during stops - unless I'm blasting my music. The Caddy restarts much more smoother. I just hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
2014 ATS, 2015 CTS
21 Posts
It really is not a huge savings on gas, Cadillac is claiming a 5% increase in fuel economy with the Auto stop start AND the 8-speed transmission addition. If you think about that with a 3.6 8-speed say you get 20mpg, now you get 21, with a 15 gallon average fill up that's 15 miles per tank extra you are getting, it would take a tank and a quarter to get a gallons worth of savings ($2 right now).

I also had a 3.6 8-speed loaner performance edition 2016 and didn't mind the stop start feature. I wish it auto-disabled if you put the car in sport mode though.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 2.0T
44 Posts
A few things to note on everyone's comments here. First off, I have a 2014 so I don't have the auto start/stop, but I've had two loaners with it. An ATS and a CTS. I thought the auto start/stop was fairly smooth in it and almost imperceptible in a lot of cases.

That all said....

WreckedEm, cars with auto start/stop have different components that are designed to handles the loads of more starting cycles that go well beyond just a tougher or faster starter, so the wear on the starter is not like starting a car that doesn't have such a feature as frequently as the auto start/stop operates. This video does a good job of explaining quite a few of the bits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1atnmIUpwYo

terrible1one3

A 5% increase in fuel economy is considered pretty huge by car standards. It can take millions of dollars in various engine investment to get 5% elsewhere and fuel economy standards continue to rise causing car companies to look into these alternatives (also many test have found improvement in fuel economy improvements to be closer to 10%). Car companies also have to meet CAFE standards for the entire brand that help the average of all their cars meet a certain MPG standard.

·
Registered
ATS
19 Posts
I test drove (and think I am going to buy) a 3.6 2016 CTS. I HATE the auto stop/start. BMW made a software update over a year ago to make it so you can decide if when the car starts it is enabled or disabled by default. Where is the Cadillac representative that chimes in on these threads? Cadillac needs to offer an update so we can control this stupid feature. Feeling the car shake while it starts, coming from every stop is just not going to work for me.

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,168 Posts
Since we can turn Stop/Start off by button, but not by a CUE option, it seems as if they want to force us to try it out.

There will be a lot of requests to allow disabling it. If disabling it isn't going to happen, there should at least be a CUE option to allow setting a delay of our choice. Then if set to 5-10 sec, the car doesn't stop on a quick stop sign stop or when breaking to park, where it restarts again after shifting into park.

·
Registered
ATS, CTS, XTS, SRX, Escalade
69 Posts
The system uses an ultracapacitor to store a fairly large amount of electricity for restarting the engine. This reduces the drain on the battery so they don't wear out as quickly and makes for a smoother start. This is not at all like a traditional starter being used an extra X number of times per day.

I just can't imagine why someone would want to be using fuel at a stop light because they are minorly inconvenienced by something new. Be good to the planet and all the asthmatics around you.

·
Registered
2014 CTS 3.6 Premium, 1999 Corvette,370 RWHP & other mods
1,148 Posts
The ultra capacitor helps the battery but there's still increased wear and tear on the starter. I'm not concerned about fuel mileage and could care less about saving a gallon on every tankful. I understand why other people are though and more importantly this helps car makers raise fuel economy ratings which they have to do in coming years. In the future this will probably be mandatory as mpg requirements go up for the car makers.

I think at this time it should be a setting that could be disabled until the starter life question is answered in real world operation and drivers adjust to the behavior.

Bill

·
Registered
ATS
19 Posts
The issue is the stupid thing doesn't work right and is incredibly annoying. The car turns off at a stop sign, sometimes it doesn't turn off at a stop light. When the car turns off you feel it start again while you're supposed to be sitting in luxury, it shakes the whole car. Oh and if you live in an area where there is traffic, like Washington DC (we're #1), the stupid thing turns the engine off and on 57 times in your 4 mile drive up 395. Not really a minor inconvenience, it's a major pain in the ass in your $70k car that lets you control everything in its power except that feature. Let me decide if I want to save $2 in fuel over the next 5 years.

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
Y'all need to stop whining about GM and if anything start whining about your in-your-face government. Manufacturers have to meet a fleet fuel consumption number per the government. The start/stop helps GM meet that limit. If they allowed you to set OFF as a default, the government would not let GM take credit for the miniscule fuel savings it provides, and until GM produces only versions of the Prius instead of V6's and V8's, it--GM--needs every bit of help to attain that fuel consumption limit. So get over it.

(I have the feature on my E350 and it is not obtrusive at all in my day to day driving. If I get in a situation where I'm stuck in stop and go traffic, I reach over and hit one button. Maybe with CUE you need to scroll through a couple of menus to get there. But that's life. Suck it up.)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts