Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Fleetwood Delegance Lowrider
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new project car...83 fleetwood.

The past owner has hacked the springs to lower the front.

Cadillac parts arent too common in NZ. Would any other GM vehicle
springs work to replace standard height for front suspention.

Cheers Simon 1980-Fleet-0021-1024x682.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,052 Posts
Any GM full size springs from 77-96 go right in. Caprice, Roadmaster, Impala, Delta 88, etc, etc. Chevelle/Malibu/Monte Carlo from the mid 70s will work, too. If any of your local parts places deal with MOOG, you should be able to order new.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Simon, it looks to me from your photos that there is nothing wrong with the riding height of your car.Why do you want to tamper with it?

·
Registered
2006 DTS 1990 Brougham
43 Posts
Simon, it looks to me from your photos that there is nothing wrong with the riding height of your car.Why do you want to tamper with it?
m

If anything I'd chop that spring just a hair more and get the front a little lower. Even right now the front looks taller than the back. I prefer a flat level stance.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Rather than chop stock Caddy springs, why not look at replacing the springs with Impala SS springs. I am told that those springs will fit a Cadillac and lower the front a couple of inches. I am not a fan of chopping springs but then I am of the generation that used an acetylene torch to cut springs. We were sooo wrong.

Cheers...........R.

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
I used, well the muffler shop I took it to, they used an acetylene torch to heat both springs up on both sides of one spring to lower it. Once it was done, the car wasn't able to roll off lift, it had to be raised by a few personnel and I was driving it out.
Loved how low it looked..

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,963 Posts
I love your new car.
Clicks all the right boxes on my list!

Your front ride height look just about right to me.
Your rear seems a bit low though. I would check for proper operation of leveling system.
Possible leak in line or shock.
If working and not leaking out, then you lever needs to be adjusted increase the normal ride level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMG_4296[1].jpg

this is my steering wheel on the car ... Looks good ... Thanks to help from this forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because my car is a lowrider style, i want the front wheels to have a 3 inch gap at the top and the back to be lower by 2 inchs... I will look out for holden hq springs , or impala or buick springs to replace the front. After swapping to my 14 inch
lowrider wheels the crossmember hits the ground because springs are to low.

----------

It would be best to have a standard spring at the front that has the same stiffness as a factory one .. Car is currently up in the air at the back lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts