Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Deville. The heater fan motor went last year but didn't replace it until this spring. Once replaced, the a/c didn't cool and I got the "low refrigerant - compressor off" message.

I checked the freon level and it was right at 25 lbs. I unhooked the battery to re-set the error message then filled the system with two cans. The pressure is up to around 40-45 and I do get reasonably cold air but only when we are moving over 1500 rpm's. It reminds me of an old 4 cyl engine trying to cool the air at a stop sign at 90 degrees and not this big V8.

I am in Florida and it's hot here. Is this the best I can expect insofar as cooling or could I add another can of freon. I figure the pressure is pretty high now so I'm hesitant. This is not the best comparison but I have another 97 Deville in Indiana. The heat and humidity are pretty close to Florida right now, but this 97 cools perfectly. The Indiana 97 has 107k miles and the Florida one has 83k miles.

Or...... is there anything else I should be looking at for this problem?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
I think the system only holds 2 lbs. You may be overfilled. I assume those where the low side pressures. What are the high side? Do the cooling fans come on when the A/C is on?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts