Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of changing only the top to leather I really like the way it looks has anyone done it or would it work.

·
Registered
2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior
264 Posts
Fitment would be the exact same, especially on parts such as the dash panel assembly as it uses the same core/frame. So yes it would work flawlessly. But I am not sure you could get only the top piece, you may have to purchase the whole dash panel...I'm not even sure if the top itself is removable. But hey that's just more stitched leather to add to your truck!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to do the top piece maybe the bottom sides as well I have to see. I really like my truck because my son (4yr old) passed away last year and he use to love my truck and I could buy a new one, but this truck is special. I will drive this truck for the rest of my days even though everyone wants me to move on, easy for others to say. My son use to go around saying to everyone my dad drives the rolls Royce Cadillac. I wont sell my truck for a million dollars. He grew up in it. :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
Very sorry about your son...you have my condolences. I can definitely understand keeping that truck even past its point of inoperability, just to have for sentimental value because your son very much enjoyed it.

I would recommend looking for a dash assembly from a parts yard unless you're willing to pay dealer price...although, to be honest, that black Platinum interior is pretty rare even brand new, as it only exists on the 2 latest year models. So I imagine finding a used one will take quite some time.

Have you considered getting a quote from a local upholstery shop to see what they would charge to cover your existing dash in matching black leather? They may even be able to do just the top portion if you want. Then you can also pick contrast stitching and choose your color.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to see if the dealer has it and it has the same fittings. I am afraid to have someone else do it because it can rattle and I wont let anyone take my truck out of my view even when I go to the dealer I stay there until its done I am afraid of anything happening to it without me present. weird like that. I am going tomorrow to see if the parts dept can sell me one and if it has the same clips etc. I will buy and install myself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It should. But I can't be 100% certain until it's confirmed by a dealer or someone trying to install it. Also, just to note, I looked up the cocoa/linen Platinum dash on gmpartsdirect.com, and usually if the dash itself was different than the standard model it would have a separate diagram. But all dashes share the same diagram.

The MSRP on the cocoa/linen Platinum dash, which should be very similar in pricing to the ebony Platinum dash, is $1,374.68 MSRP and $857.80 online without shipping/tax. The regular dashes have MSRPs of around $300.

If you know anyone with a body shop they may have a discount for parts through a dealership. My dad owns a body shop business and gets a 33% discount on parts, so if you know someone I recommend hitting them up.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks I will do that, I have a friend at city Cadillac that gives me his price since I helped him open ports on his router if some thing costs 250 I pay 150 so its a good hook up. I will find out tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Definitely keep me posted! Would love to see how difficult or easy this could be.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tomorrow I am going to look deeply at a platinum in a showroom and than I start from there.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
If you go to an upholstery shop you can totally customize the whole interior, which mayb can be nicer than the platinum.... I like the platinum interrior as well, but the price was way too much over a base. There was a custom job on this board where they hada leather roof as well... Looked very classy.

Vry sorry to hear about your child as well. With that in mind, with a custom leather interior maybe you can have his name stiched inside the vehicle for a memory.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SBGC I wouldn't put mickeys name in the car for the simple reason is that my wife would loose her mind than, his room stays closed and I don't want to remind her I didn't even tell her that I am keeping the car for that reason as well. But thanks for your advice and maybe I can try to talk to her slowly about that. I was in the hospital in the ward for 2 months last October because I almost committed suicide. Very hard but this truck will remain with me for the rest of my days even if I have to replace the engine and transmission completely I don't drive any other one of our 3 cars as well.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
Resurrecting an older thread here. I am suffering thru the cracked dash finally on my wife's 2007 Esky ESV. I thought I was gonna escape this malady but I found a 4 inch crack close the windshield yesterday and now I am in search of what to do about it. Of course I can ignore it but wheres the fun in that. Additionally, I was thinking about adding the leather dash pad like the gentleman who was the OP here. I found a leather dash and for a very affordable price, but it doesn't come with the Air Bag. It would look sorta silly with the plastic airbag recessed below the leather dash. Anyone know where I might be able to find the corresponding leather cover airbag? I guess the dealer would have it but I expect a hefty price tag that ruins the overall project cost curve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts