Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Cadillac Deville head studs repair.
How deep do I dare extend the head bolt holes in the block?
The 2005 Northstars have longer head bolts and deeper holes.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
You do NOT deepen the holes. The NorthstarPerformance head studs are made to the correct length for the model year of engine repair.

Hole depth is the reason that the stud install kits come with drills and drill stops for proper depth setting.

Late 2004 or 2005 blocks are a different casting. Apples and oranges from 2000 - 2004.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Do not drill deeper. There really isn't much extra material there. I've taken depth measurements and I don't remember all the numbers but I remember there was little enough extra material at the factory depth that I wouldn't even consider trying to go any deeper.

·
Registered
2000 Seville SLS
10 Posts
You do NOT deepen the holes. The NorthstarPerformance head studs are made to the correct length for the model year of engine repair.

Hole depth is the reason that the stud install kits come with drills and drill stops for proper depth setting.

Late 2004 or 2005 blocks are a different casting. Apples and oranges from 2000 - 2004.
You're assuming I'm using someone's kit.
I'm asking how deep can I drill before I run into coolant jacket or other issues.

Do not drill deeper. There really isn't much extra material there. I've taken depth measurements and I don't remember all the numbers but I remember there was little enough extra material at the factory depth that I wouldn't even consider trying to go any deeper.
This is probably the answer I was looking for.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
I'll say it again: You do not drill the cylinder block head bolt holes deeper than stock for your particular block. Plain enough ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts