Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, yesterday we bought our first Cadillac, 09 CTS DI 3.6. Absolutely love the car and don't know how I've gone so long not owning one. Today, about our third time driving it a yellow check engine light came on. Car was running fine, and I know they can be sensitive so without major concern I pulled into Autozone for a quick diagnosis. P2601. U0140. SJB. C0561. C0267 which pertain to abs and something with coolant and then one more said low brake fluid which he said was recent while others where stored in history. Not knowing much I asked if he could reset and he said his machine could but he couldn't due to EPA fines but he thinks since I just bought it yesterday that someone recently reset codes...the dealer was not a franchise but not a buy here pay here either. Does anyone know if a Cadillac dealer can tell when codes where thrown? And what kind of legal recourse I might have in Ohio..

·
Registered
CTS
1,882 Posts
First thing is clear the codes and see if they return...then you can accurately diagnose it. If your in a State that dealers CANNOT sell a vehicle with non-passing emissions, then as Neutrocuted states, get back right away.

·
Registered
12 CTS 3.6 Coupe Premium Black
103 Posts
A tech would most likely be able to answer your question regarding when the code was popped. If a level 1 tech cannot access that info, it may be able to be retrieved by a "higher authority"(ie:factory rep). Since this is not an issue with a specific factory dealer, or factory warranty, you would be hard pressed to get that level of support.

Sounds as though the seller cleared the codes in order to avoid questions about an MIL. Unless you can prove when the codes were set, and cleared, you have no real recourse. It might be worth a trip to a factory service department to ask them if some paid shop time can produce a log.

·
Registered
CTS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys, I did find that simply removing the negative battery terminal for fifteen minutes can remove codes, but they will return in 50-75 miles if they are not cleared. I already had suspicion that the dealer had reset the oil life as it was 99% with a window sticker saying it was 2000 past due, and really who changes the oil the day you're trading it in? It's not like the dealer had a shop and changed it themselves. And If this was the case, proving it was intentional would be almost impossible, and Ohio laws favor the seller in these instances. My plan, at this point, is to take it to Cadillac in the morning and have them do a full diagnostic and quote me to fix it, then take it to a consumer rights attorney( to write an angry letter), also to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles( hopefully just to cause a phone call of interest at least), and then some level of public/online presence to hopefully pressure them into either taking the car back or paying for repairs, which I would prefer. Really the best thing I have going is that some of the codes are for the braking system which possibly could be interpreted by law as selling an unsafe vehicle, but it's a stretch.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,176 Posts
Me? I would be taking it right back to the seller without hesitation. Let them know you are displeased (don't be a butthole) and tell them you expect them to make it right or refund your money.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI AWD Luxury-Performance II ThunderGray/Titanium
135 Posts
What Tinman and other said "return to seller", the more time between you and your return to them doesn't help you. Send them an email to document what is going on. Good luck
My $ .02.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't see any emissions codes there. P2601 was covered in a Technical Service Bulletin and relates to a secondary water pump.

A little info on that one:
http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=42845

If I am not mistaken, the U code relates to a lack of communication between modules (I think that one is pretty common across all GM platforms...a tech explained it to me that the modules all have an order of importance that they communicate with each other. If a door module tries to communicate at the same time as the ABS system, the door will get rejected, hence the U code; that one would not worry me at all).

The others are brake system related. In Virginia, you can have an ABS light on and pass state inspection but not a red BRAKE light. In other words, the car would technically pass inspection. Did you buy it as-is or was there a warranty?

If you decide to 'fix' the car, I have experienced a number of ABS problems related to lack of use of the ABS pump. Many of the C5 Corvettes out there have a seized pump, simply because they have never been driven hard. If it were my car, I would clear the code, get to an empty parking lot and make the ABS system come on. Then clear any code, and do it again. And again. Exercise the pump and see if the code clears up.

My .2 cents. Good luck with it all,

Cassidy

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,176 Posts
Mr. Serenity appears to be a "one and done."

·
Registered
46 Posts
For what it's worth... the computer will keep count of the number of key cycles for some codes. It will not record how many days/weeks/months/years the code has been stored. The service engine soon light may stop illuminating if the fault that set the code stops for a defined number of key cycles, but the code remains stored until reset.

I'm not sure about aftermarket code scanners, but this stuff is available on Tech IIs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts