Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Only if you install it on the wrong side of the tranny and accidentlly disconnect or install it on the Reversle lockout harness...

From what I have heard (and I can be wrong...)

Bottom line: CAGS is a solenoid that extends when power is applied (from computer control) to block the shifter from going into 2nd gear.. Simple as that... I dont think that affect reverse?

Reed

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
My experience has been that it only happens >100mph (160.9Kmh for our friends to the frozen north) with or without an eliminator leading me to believe that there's a shortcoming in the reverse lockout software where it really reads >3 & <100. Every time I've asked a GM rep I get the deer in the headlight look...:bonkers:

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
All of mine have been at sanctioned track events...:halo:

My prognostication is that it's only a 2 digit field eg 3 to 99

I've never had it happen just cruising around town, only at WFO 4th to 5th. Has anyone had it happen around town? And by the way, WFO 4th is boogity boogity..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Its never happened to me, but my wife says the car has been letting her hit reverse quite a few times now. Just normal driving, I have no CAGS delete either. Prob end up taking it in for this next I guess. lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
For reverse, first try putting the car into first and then into reverse. It should go in most of the time. If that still doesnt work...take it as far as it will go back and slowly get off your clutch while you apply pressure. (Do not give gas, it will simply grind) While you are getting off the clutch, you'll notice the shifter go into reverse all the way. If this still doesnt work, then I know of one think they did on my friends car...a reverse lockout something. I'll get the exact numbers, but try that in the mean time.

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i may have found the answer.... I got this out of the second page of the link i posted in my original post;

>I just got back from dropping off the GTO. The chief mechanic and I went for a test drive and I demonstrated the symptoms. We had a good talk and I feel much more confident that THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with my transmission. His explanation made sense and here is what he said;

It is possible to get past the reverse lockout gate by "bumping" against the gate or even forcing the shifter into reverse. If one uses minimal effort to shift from 4th to 5th, the lockout gate will prevent the shifter from going into reverse. If, however, one uses too much force or accidently "bumps" or "double taps" against the reverse lockout gate, then the gate will move back and enable the shifter to go into reverse.

I was able to duplicate the "problem" by using extra force and by "bumping" the gate. But when I was gentle with the shifter, then the gate clearly guided the shifter right into 5th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts